What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Books. What are you reading?

Pull up a chair and discuss your favorite books, magazines, comic books, etc.
But not too loud, the Librarian doesn't like noise...

Moderator: Moderators

Phantom Major
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#21 Post by Phantom Major »

currently working on The Game by Neil Strauss very informative book which certainly backs up a few of my theories about women. :D :wink:

Batmaniak
Site Admin
Duke of Dry Brush

#22 Post by Batmaniak »

I've been on a rock biography kick as of late. Currently reading the Zepplin bio "Hammer of the Gods" by Stephen Davis. Just finished the "Heroin Diaries" by Nikki Sixx, "White Line Fever" by Lemmy, "So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star: How I Machine-Gunned a Roomful Of Record Executives and Other True Tales from a Drummer's Life" by Jacob Schliter of Semisonic, and a fake biography of a fake band; "Too Much, Too Late" by Marc Spitz.

I've always got a stack of books going, and I've got a bunch more in the "next" pile including "Shakey" - Neil Young's bio, "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Keedis and "Slash" by, well, Slash... :lol:

Zombiezilla
Earl of Epoxy

#23 Post by Zombiezilla »

I'm interested in the Slash book. I guess he is pretty harsh on some LA bands, some of whom were not expecting it.
http://bugeyedmonsters.blogspot.com/ My blog for movie reviews!

modeljunky
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#24 Post by modeljunky »

Batmaniak wrote:
I've always got a stack of books going, and I've got a bunch more in the "next" pile including "Shakey" - Neil Young's bio, "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Keedis and "Slash" by, well, Slash... :lol:
My cousin read Scar tissue....said it was great...
The only Rock biography I ever read was Soul Rebel, about Bob Marley..
very good book...
Its not just a hobby...its an addiction

DETHSTRYKER
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#25 Post by DETHSTRYKER »

Just got through with Asimov's I, Robot. Starting on 2001: A Space Oddity... Odessey by Arthur C Clarke. then will hit the Iain Banks books./
LONG LIVE THE FOO!!!

Monkeywiz
Master of Masking

#26 Post by Monkeywiz »

Iain Banks publishes under Iain Banks for fiction and Iain M Banks for Sci Fi, both are good, I enjoy the Sci Fi more, but some of the plain fiction is great too, in fact it was a fiction book of his I picked up whilst bored waiting for someone to finish work when I read the first line of 'The Crow Road' "It was the day my grandmother exploded." that got me interested.

ManthingVT
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#27 Post by ManthingVT »

Currently, I'm reading The Angel Of Darkness by Caleb Carr, which is the follow up to The Alienist. Both are fantastic books.

I have read Carrion Comfort, Summer Of Night and Song of Kali (?) by Dan Simmons also many years ago and agree he is great and his work is very distinct. I have the Hyperion books (or at least the first couple), but never read them.

Previously, I read the last Harry Potter book. And I was reading the dark Tower series but took a break ( I still need to finish the end of Wizard and Glass).

I listened to the follow up to The Davinci Code on CD a few months back too, which was good.

I have a habit of dropping books easily if they don't really grab me and sometimes going back to them years later. It keeps the reading productivity down a bit I suppose, but at least it keeps me from forcing myself to read just to finish a book. I used to work in publishing in Manhattan and got my pick of review copies and such, so I have HUNDREDS of fantasy, S-F and Horror novels to choose from.

MVT

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#28 Post by Misellus »

ManthingVT wrote:Currently, I'm reading The Angel Of Darkness by Caleb Carr, which is the follow up to The Alienist. Both are fantastic books.
I've read both and enjoyed both. Don't forget to read "Killing Time" by Caleb Carr. It's sci-fi instead of historical fiction, but good.

And yes, it was one of the influences for me to use to name

M-
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#29 Post by Todd P. »

I just finished The Intruder, a school integration novel by Charles Beaumont. I had to dig to find a 50-year-old used paperback copy of that one online; the book fell apart page by page as I read it. Beaumont was a terrific short-story writer, best known for the stories that led to some of the most memorable Twilight Zone episodes. The Intruder was interesting but not great. I guess that's why it's long out of print. I also recently acquired a DVD of Roger Corman's movie based on the novel but haven't watched it yet.

My daughters and I are now in the final chapters of a much, much better race-relations novel from the same era: Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. That's my all-time favorite. The words "Hey, Boo" always give me a chill.

razorwyre1
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Bishop of Build Ups

#30 Post by razorwyre1 »

time means i only can do audiobooks, but thats ok, cause theyre great for multi-tasking. ive recently finished:
lamb; and the stupidest angel, both by christopher moore (excellent)
dexter in the dark (will upset fans of the tv series)
i am legend (great story hindered by the 50s attitudes.... especially those towards women)

i go through audiobooks like an elephant goes through peanuts.

Zombiezilla
Earl of Epoxy

#31 Post by Zombiezilla »

ManthingVT wrote:Currently, I'm reading The Angel Of Darkness by Caleb Carr, which is the follow up to The Alienist. Both are fantastic books.

I have read Carrion Comfort, Summer Of Night and Song of Kali (?) by Dan Simmons also many years ago and agree he is great and his work is very distinct. I have the Hyperion books (or at least the first couple), but never read them.

MVT
I loved The Alienist but found Angel more forced. What's the kids name, Stevie? Since he becomes the main character and was a kid Carr had to find ways of keeping him around the proceedings to move the story forward, which lead to odd situations where he was in the heating ducts and such. I just wish he had kept the main character the same as the first book.

I've tried to read Dan Simmons Sci-Fi stuff, but in all honesty Sci-Fi confuses me something terrible. So many phrases and words that you are expected to just know. I spend twice as long reading Sci-Fi as I do anything else just because of how many times I have to re-read everything.

Everybody can quit pointing and laughing now. :D

FromBeyond138
Duke of Dry Brush

#32 Post by FromBeyond138 »

Im currently reading Yellow River by I.P. Freely.
Baking the cookies of discontent,
By the heat of the Laundromat dryer vent.

Batmaniak
Site Admin
Duke of Dry Brush

#33 Post by Batmaniak »

FromBeyond138 wrote:Im currently reading Yellow River by I.P. Freely.
Didn't he write "Rusty Bedsprings" under the pseudonym "I.P. Knightly"? :lol:

gothiken
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Knight of the Round Bench

#34 Post by gothiken »

working in a library I have the best of both worlds

im reading "No country for old men" by cormac mccarthy

I loved the Border trilogy....

The Crossing.. one of the most disturbing yet compelling books
ive read

http://www.jerseyfestfair.com

Kenny Caruso

check us out on Facebook at The Modelers Lair.......

I Am Legend.

FromBeyond138
Duke of Dry Brush

#35 Post by FromBeyond138 »

Batmaniak wrote:
FromBeyond138 wrote:Im currently reading Yellow River by I.P. Freely.
Didn't he write "Rusty Bedsprings" under the pseudonym "I.P. Knightly"? :lol:
Ahhh yes, another classic. :)
Baking the cookies of discontent,
By the heat of the Laundromat dryer vent.

Cliff Green
Seam Filler

#36 Post by Cliff Green »

MVT[/quote]

I
I've tried to read Dan Simmons Sci-Fi stuff, but in all honesty Sci-Fi confuses me something terrible. So many phrases and words that you are expected to just know. I spend twice as long reading Sci-Fi as I do anything else just because of how many times I have to re-read everything.

Everybody can quit pointing and laughing now. :D[/quote]

I 'm not laughing at you. I have read hundreds of sci-fi books over the years, and some authors are just plain confusing. I read the entire Simmons Hyperion series, and had to choke through more than a few chapters. The whole thing confused me to the point of having to go back and reread complete chapters in order to comprehend his jerky narrative.
I now avoid his books like the plague.

Other sci fi authors who are somewhat perplexing, at least for the first read, are Asimov's Foundation series, and David Brin's last 'Uplift " trilogy. Incidently, Brin's previous Uplift novels ' Brightness Reef", and " The Uplift War", are IMHO, some of the best science fiction novels ever written. Highly recommended.

Zombiezilla
Earl of Epoxy

#37 Post by Zombiezilla »

Poul Anderson's books confused me. I struggled with them though due to the raves for Harvest Of Stars, and I got through it and found it enjoyable. I remember very little about it now though.

Scott_Sheltz
Wizard of Washes

#38 Post by Scott_Sheltz »

I am reading Gettysburg a Study in Command by Coddington. Great book on the battle
Aloha,

Scott
-------------------------------------------------------
If you don't stand behind our troops, then please feel free to stand in front of them!!! God Bless our Military!

dschoemaker1

#39 Post by dschoemaker1 »

I'm listening to (Robert Jordan) The Dragon Reborn books - I'm on book 2 - driving to/from work. With a 20 minute drive this should take me through 2008. I belong to Audible's book club so I automatically buy them on the 18th of the month for the next 9 months. (If your a listener you owe it to your wallet to check out Audible's plans - I've "saved" over a thousand dollars in the last three years) I sure hope his Estate gets this series wrapped up by the time I get to the last current book. {Fantasy}

Reading, I just (tonight) picked up House Harkonnen, which is the umpteenth Dune book. Part 2 of a trilogy which covers the 50 or so years pre-Dune. Not as well written as Frank Herbert's originals, but still a good space opera read and I really like the backfill on the different sects. {Science Fiction}

My bathroom book is Superman Doomsday, the hardcover compendium. {Just darn fun}

2007 saw the end of a long American Revolution kick where I read everything I could on the American Revolution; Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton, John Adams and 1776 to name a few. It was fascinating how different the authors viewed the "other" founding fathers as compared to the one they were writing about. Some of these guys absolutely hated one another and clearly misunderstood their "rivals" motivations. {Biography/Historical}

Reading/Painting Figs are my two hobbies. My wife knows she can never go wrong buying me a book on painting/color theory.

modeljunky
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#40 Post by modeljunky »

The last audio book I bought was Junky, by William Birroughs, read by himself :twisted: I like to listen to it when I paint...
Its not just a hobby...its an addiction