What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

How long have you been going to Chiller.

All Things CHILLER!

Moderator: Moderators

Pun13
Clubhouse Alumni
Prince of Plastic

How long have you been going to Chiller.

#1 Post by Pun13 »

I first started to go to Chiller back in 96, just when
I started to get into kit figures. I was blown away back then by
the paint ups and the themes.

Tom
Email
Pun13@yahoo.com

Brothers in Resin: Bringing you what YOU WANT!!!!

ignatz
Site Admin
Knight of the Round Bench

#2 Post by ignatz »

Holy resin on a stick! I don't think I can remember that far back. It may have been early to mid 1990s. It was crowded and really fun. There were still a lot of model vendors, and people selling art, vampire fangs, goth and fantasy stuff, not so much the celebrity/autograph fest it became.
Steven

CALM DOWN. It's only a hobby.

Oh, and MODEL ON!

ManthingVT
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#3 Post by ManthingVT »

My first was probably the April 1993 show. It was a lot of fun back then and LOTS of models back in those days. I remember meeting Randy Bowen, Tony Cipriano, Wayne Hansen and Scott Kelley among others. I think it was held at Fairleigh Dickenson.

MVT

Pun13
Clubhouse Alumni
Prince of Plastic

#4 Post by Pun13 »

Mark

I came in when they moved it to Seacaus, which was a pretty
cool location about 5 minutes from my house.

I remember buying tickets for the weekend, we would pack lunches
for us and the kids.. Entering kits in the contest and waiting until
the end to hear the winners.

Coming home with some pretty cool kits... So fun times indeed.

Tom
Email
Pun13@yahoo.com

skotty
Glue Sniffer

#5 Post by skotty »

Danged if I can remember the exact date, but process of elimination I think makes it fall 95. I had heard about the show on the Gremlins site, and a guy who owned a short-lived kit shop here had photos. On the spur of the moment I rented a car and drove down. I think the only person I remember meeting was Neal De Conte, as he was wearing a Gremlins t-shirt. I was much better prepared the next time, and have been a regular ever since.

WOLFMAN66
Resin Slayer

#6 Post by WOLFMAN66 »

I been going since early 90's when they were called at one time Horrorthon great show packed with lots of dealers back then and been going ever since 8) .
Travelers to unknown regions would be well-advised to take along the family dog. He could just save you from entering the wrong gate.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Kaijumodelkit/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MonarchModelGroup/

modelpainter416
Jack of all Trades

#7 Post by modelpainter416 »

I've been going since the 1st or 2nd show at the Rothman Center. That's '90 or '91. I think '91. I had that kid in a candy shop feeling. One big giant room with me too nervous to enter the contest. Now, I only go to the fall show. I do have a video I got from Wayne Hanson that's 1 hour Chiller and 1 hour Wonderfest '94. It's pretty cool to watch 14 years later. Marc

modeljunky
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by modeljunky »

Ive been goining since the first show....and havent missed a year.....I remember going into the store in Lyndhust nj.....first time I was turned onto crazy Japanese movies....they recomended Tesuo Ironman......I didnt beleive it could have been as wild as they talked it up to be.......I watched it with about 4 other freinds of mine and we where like :shock: :shock: the whole time.....man I still love that movie...

Anyway I remember being blown away by all the stuff in the store and they told me to head up to the con ....thankfuly it was the up coming weekend....How time flies....whats it now 18 yeears, and about 5 dif venues later.... 8)
Its not just a hobby...its an addiction

Pun13
Clubhouse Alumni
Prince of Plastic

#9 Post by Pun13 »

I remember going to the Store in Hackensack..

They really had some cool kits there, I remember picking
up Death's Ins Snake Plissken kit from Shawn..

Tom
Email
Pun13@yahoo.com

modeljunky
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#10 Post by modeljunky »

I think Ive only been in the Hackensack store once......
I stumbeld on in on my way home from court..... :oops:
I would have had some money too spend if it wasnt for that damn lawyer :evil:
Its not just a hobby...its an addiction

go-figure
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#11 Post by go-figure »

My first attendance was in May of 1991 and the show was called horrothon. That show blew my mind and have been hooked ever since. The show today is a mere fraction of what it used to be as far as models is concerned!

ShaneM
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#12 Post by ShaneM »

I never attended a Fairleigh Dickinson show though I have had people tell me that they remember me being there. I didn't start going until they moved to the Hilton.

Met many of the producers over the years and traded and bought as many kits as I could get my hands on. Still do when the wallet permits.

I have had most people remember me for having glass in my face at a past show but i haven't done the glass in almost a decade. I hadn't even dressed up in years as I didn't want to get dressed up to stand on a line. Not an issue anymore.

Their website used to have an eyeball hidden on the front page. If you clicked on the eyeball it went to a picture of my friend Darren and I with Jerry Only. A bloody mess with my eyeball hanging to my chin. He had his Coroners Office T-shirt on that day. Perfect.
Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.

If you want to see what i do for fun take a click, It may be disturbing.
http://vimeo.com/32512596

badkarmaproductions@gmail.com

orlock1965
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#13 Post by orlock1965 »

My first Chiller was in '95 at the Meadowlands Hilton and it was incredible. I went to every Oct show after that and noticed that the model vendors dwindled year after year. My last Chiller was in 2004 and the selection was almost non-existent. I ended make all but one purchase at Sassy's table due to lack of other model vendors. It's a shame because that's the main reason I made the trek to show.
Last edited by orlock1965 on August 2nd, 2008, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShaneM
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#14 Post by ShaneM »

Nowadays I practically live at the Alternative Images table when I visit.

I haven't gotten to see the model contest in about 6 years as the lines just wouldn't ALLOW it before the move. Now it is due to work. I can't even make a day trip of it because it is further than before and I have to be to work by 5 Pm.

I sure do miss the model side of the Model and toy show that used to be Chiller. Now they should call it the bootleg movie fest.
Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.

If you want to see what i do for fun take a click, It may be disturbing.
http://vimeo.com/32512596

badkarmaproductions@gmail.com

Vince-Vell
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#15 Post by Vince-Vell »

Never knew this was so close to me, i will be going this year. Hell its like a 20min drive from my apartment.

Looks like a lot of great stuff this year, so it will be my first.

Cult of Personality
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#16 Post by Cult of Personality »

Anybody else remember the show at the movie theater? The dealer's room was on a slant, LOL. I remember Jonathan Harris in his smoking jacket (and ascot) holding court for hours, LOL. I think Terry Webb was there with AFM #0, and George from GEO was there (but I actually met them at a RarePlane show held in a VFW hall a year or so before). Boy, those were the days!!! I had a table at one of the Fairleigh Dickenson shows with Randy Bowen next door, John Dennett across the aisle and M-1 sharing tables with Kim Ito down on the corner.
Tom
The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Oriontide
Clubhouse Alumni
Earl of Epoxy

#17 Post by Oriontide »

I first started attending Chiller back when they held it in Hackensack, at the Fairleigh Dickenson campus. Then I started attending Chiller when it was being held in Secaucus. During the first few years, I went to Chiller as part of the Scarlet Street crew.

I used to live in North New Jersey, about a five minute car drive from the convention, so there was no real excuse for me not to go! :lol: Now, however, it's at least a hundred mile drive for me, so I haven't attended any recent conventions since 2003. I always had fun at Chiller.

Sean

monkey5150
Bishop of Build Ups

#18 Post by monkey5150 »

I don't remember the exact date but it would have to be around 1993. I was a college student making about 10K a year working at sears. I remember loosing sleep paying $90 for a Horizon Venom and Carnage kit... I couldn't afford the bar that weekend...LOL Good thing my friends were comic book fans they picked me up.

saulcuba66
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#19 Post by saulcuba66 »

Since the begining of time!!!!.... :lol:

Saul
http://www.picturetrail.com/saul62

“A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.”
Bruce Lee

http://www.jerseyfestfair.com
Jerseyfest 2015

Avall15
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#20 Post by Avall15 »

LOL....only a couple of years....from what i hear though i missed out on some good kit shows since now there are less and less.