What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Cipriano 3D printed King Kong Prop Replica Kit

Focused on all the big critters. Dinosaurs and KAIJU!
With added discussion of creating dioramas, shadowboxes, vignettes and bases

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

Cipriano 3D printed King Kong Prop Replica Kit

#1 Post by Jon LeGrand »

12 inches tall with two head options, 3D printed and comes with a base. By Tony Cipriano. Here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfKjdmEUDg8
Here are some photos:

ALL YOUR KAIJU MODEL KITS ARE BELONG TO US!!
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

Re: Cipriano 3D printed King Kong Prop Replica Kit

#2 Post by Tiger2 »

Very nice work as usual Jon, you have a soft spot for Mr Kong I think!
I've seen the movie numerous times, but never really taken in these 2 different head designs.
Quite strange in terms of continuity, at which point in the film does one become the other?

Cheers,
Paul

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#3 Post by Jon LeGrand »

Tiger2 wrote:Very nice work as usual Jon, you have a soft spot for Mr Kong I think!
I've seen the movie numerous times, but never really taken in these 2 different head designs.
Quite strange in terms of continuity, at which point in the film does one become the other?

Cheers,
Paul
Thanks Paul, it is an interesting thing. Besides the long and round face puppets, there was also an animatronic head that looked different as well for the close ups and having him chew a real person!
As I understand it, the stop motion scenes took a very long time to produce, and cost a lot of money. They made the scene with the log roll and t-rex fight using the long face kong. They used that to promote the film to the producers or whoever, and rather than scrap it they used it, but the rest of the movie was the round faced Kong.
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by Scooke123 »

Very nice!!! I never even noticed a difference in the heads before until just now. Gonna have to watch the movie again now!
Steve Cooke

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#5 Post by Tiger2 »

Jon LeGrand wrote:
Tiger2 wrote:Very nice work as usual Jon, you have a soft spot for Mr Kong I think!

Cheers,
Paul
Thanks Paul, it is an interesting thing. Besides the long and round face puppets, there was also an animatronic head that looked different as well for the close ups and having him chew a real person!
As I understand it, the stop motion scenes took a very long time to produce, and cost a lot of money. They made the scene with the log roll and t-rex fight using the long face kong. They used that to promote the film to the producers or whoever, and rather than scrap it they used it, but the rest of the movie was the round faced Kong.
Well I've learnt something there, I had clocked the animatronic head as it's so difficult, but will go back and look at the movie again to appreciate these other variations! By the way, I thought you'd run out of display space?!!

Cheers,
Paul

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by Jon LeGrand »

Tiger2 wrote:
Jon LeGrand wrote:

Cheers,
Paul
Well I've learnt something there, I had clocked the animatronic head as it's so difficult, but will go back and look at the movie again to appreciate these other variations! By the way, I thought you'd run out of display space?!!

Cheers,
Paul
Yes, I have basically, but I am selling a few things, or trying to!
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

kong33
Seam Filler

#7 Post by kong33 »

Jon where do I purchase this kit?

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by Jon LeGrand »

kong33 wrote:Jon where do I purchase this kit?
Cipriano Sculpture. You can message Tony Cipriano on Facebook
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

kong33
Seam Filler

#9 Post by kong33 »

Jon what colors did you choose to paint your Kong? Great work as usual my friend

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#10 Post by Jon LeGrand »

kong33 wrote:Jon what colors did you choose to paint your Kong? Great work as usual my friend
I used a bunch of shades of brown for the fur and shades of gray for the skin, then I did dark oil washes over that and dry brushed with lighter shades of brown and gray with oils too. I rarely if ever use paint straight from the bottle, I like to mix a lot.
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#11 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Looks GREAT Jon ... too bad the heads are not interchangeable like for that Godzilla you recently did ... I love both heads and would hate not using one ... thanks for the paint tip on Kong, I think I am going towards a lighter color brown with dark oil washes ... might as well look a little different ... like my current Kong build WILL be anyways ... 1933 Kong kinda grows on you ... lucky for me I've got two more in the "stash" for future dabbling ... yous Kong work has been an inspiration ... both for the Kaiju and stop-motion Kongs ... :drool2:
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#12 Post by Jon LeGrand »

bucketfoot-al wrote:Looks GREAT Jon ... too bad the heads are not interchangeable like for that Godzilla you recently did ... I love both heads and would hate not using one ... thanks for the paint tip on Kong, I think I am going towards a lighter color brown with dark oil washes ... might as well look a little different ... like my current Kong build WILL be anyways ... 1933 Kong kinda grows on you ... lucky for me I've got two more in the "stash" for future dabbling ... yous Kong work has been an inspiration ... both for the Kaiju and stop-motion Kongs ... :drool2:
Thanks, yes for the one you are working on I went with almost gold fur and actually used metallic gold wax rubs for highlights
Thanks, Jon LeGrand