What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

The Great Flash Gordon Invitational Community Build

Show off your in-progress builds! This is the place to post questions about building and painting your model kits and to share your latest techniques.

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Mark McGovern
Finger Painter

The Great Flash Gordon Invitational Community Build

#1 Post by Mark McGovern »

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Over on the HobbyTalk Modeling Forum, I posted the suggestion http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/13-modeli ... ost5915601 that we organize another group build. This hadn't been done since 2014. The suggestion garnered some support; then it occurred to me that it might be fun to invite modelers from other forums to participate as well. So consider this your invitation to join the group build!

The model selected is the Atlantis reissue (or an original kit, if you're so inclined) of Revell's Flash Gordon model kit. The group build will commence on June 1st, with a deadline of October 1st. Do whatever you wish with the model. Post your WIP photos and comments to this thread and I'll publish links among all the other forums involved so every participant can view everyone else's progress.

The idea here is to see how many variations can be accomplished with the same model kit, promote figure modeling in our hobby, and of course, to have fun. The Great Flash Gordon Invitational Community Build is on! Are you in?

Here are the other forums I've invited (the IPMS Forums are down as of this writing and I'm waiting to get placed on the FineScale Modeler Group Build calendar): the HobbyTalk Modeling Forum http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/13-modeli ... ost5915657 and the Universal Monster Army http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/for ... ic=29688.0. Hopefully we'll get the other two soon.
Mark McG.
I build therefore I am.

Mark McGovern
Finger Painter

Re: The Great Flash Gordon Invitational Community Build

#2 Post by Mark McGovern »

Added posts announcing The Great Flash Gordon Invitational Community Build to the FineScale Modeler http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_su ... 71143.aspx and IPMS/USA Group Builds http://forum.ipmsusa3.org/index.php?/to ... ity-build/ forums.
Mark McG.
I build therefore I am.

halloweenfan 1978
Master of Masking

#3 Post by halloweenfan 1978 »

Already posted over on HT, but for the record, I am in, Mark me lad!
James Nichols
Gu deoch... to drink; Gu cairdean... to friends; Gu Spors... to fun

Mark McGovern
Finger Painter

#4 Post by Mark McGovern »

Well then, welcome aboard - er - mind if I call you 'deadie' over here?
Mark McG.
I build therefore I am.

halloweenfan 1978
Master of Masking

#5 Post by halloweenfan 1978 »

Deadie I am to thee and Deadie I shall remain! :mrgreen:
James Nichols

Mark McGovern
Finger Painter

#6 Post by Mark McGovern »

Over at the HobbyTalk forums http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/13-modeli ... ost5927105, mach7 has posted the first photos of his build.
Mark McG.
I build therefore I am.

halloweenfan 1978
Master of Masking

#7 Post by halloweenfan 1978 »

Aaaaand we're off and running!
James Nichols

halloweenfan 1978
Master of Masking

#8 Post by halloweenfan 1978 »

And from me... assembly has begun!

James Nichols

halloweenfan 1978
Master of Masking

#9 Post by halloweenfan 1978 »

That was, of course, the Atlantis reissue of one of my grail kits... had the Phantom and the Voodoo Witch Doctor, but was never able to find Flash Gordon... now, however, it will be paired with this lovely replacement base from Thunderboy Heavy Industries:

James Nichols

Mark McGovern
Finger Painter

#10 Post by Mark McGovern »

OOOOHH!! I haven't seen one of those before - if I had, I might've taken my build in a different direction. I'm even more interested to see how yours turns out, deadie! Unfortunately, Mr. Hroch's site seems to be down at this time or I'd post a link to Thunderboy Heavy Industries..
Mark McG.
I build therefore I am.

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#11 Post by billikenmonster »

id like to be in as well.... I just started mine but cannot get past the seam in the helmet I have researched and found a globe lightbulb that will work but am having difficulty getting the bottom cut off, any ideas ? also I tried to get the base but cannot get one and for some reason I tried emailing Buckwheat but no go ....so hopefully I can get it completed by October

Mark McGovern
Finger Painter

#12 Post by Mark McGovern »

Billi,

I wouldn't fret over the helmet seam too much. Testors Window Maker and Clear Parts Cement would be my glue of choice; applied sparingly, it'll hardly be visible. If you feel adventurous, you might try giving the clear plastic halves a dip or two in Future Floor Polish (I know it has gone through as many name changes as P. Diddy, but we know what this stuff is, right?), then adhere them with thin super glue.

Don't use an accelerator, which might make the glue bubble. After it has set, the glue can be sanded down; it will serve as a transparent filler. The sanding will be onerous, you'll want to go down to 2000-grit or finer, then use plastic polish and finish with another application of Future. In the end you'll have reduced the seam as much as humanly possible - but the join of the mating surfaces of the two clear plastic can never be made totally invisible.

Another option would be to go 180 degrees in the opposite direction and add fasteners to the joint of the front and back halves. Or ignore all this and come up with something else!

Speaking of something else, mach7, has been posting his progress over at the HobbyTalk Modeling Forum http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/13-modeli ... ost5931113. I haven't started my figure, yet. I'm working on a scratchbuilt diorama item. As soon as I have the thing put together, I'll post photos; WIPs would be meaningless at this stage, trust me.
Mark McG.
I build therefore I am.

mach7
Finger Painter

#13 Post by mach7 »

This is from my posts over at HobbyTalk.

I'm cleaning up the seams. The kit did us a favor by having the suit re-enforcing band run along the outside leg seam, but the inside one is proving to be a pain. I used Testors liquid cement in the black angled bottle. I use extra and squeezed it so melted plastic would be forced out. I hoped that this could be sanded away and show no seam but the fit on mine was off a bit and I ended up with a ridge. I sanded and sanded and it helped, but I was getting concerned that I was thinning the plastic too much. I then added a layer of putty and sanded that. I think I have it now. Hopefully I can get a coat of primer on him today so I can see where I stand.

I think I'm going to pre shade the parts and put on a top coat of paint and then assemble him. I dont think I want to paint the straps on the body with his limbs attached.

It looks like the arm fit will be good, but the leg/body fit will have some issues.

I don't build figures, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#14 Post by Scooke123 »

I picked up one of those bases at Wonderfest this weekend - it is pretty cool!!
Also have another base idea I may try out.
Steve Cooke

mach7
Finger Painter

#15 Post by mach7 »

Halloweenfan, that base is great!

Not much done today, just filling/sanding and clean up.

I did get a coat of primer on him to see where I stand.

halloweenfan 1978
Master of Masking

#16 Post by halloweenfan 1978 »

Mark McGovern wrote:OOOOHH!! I haven't seen one of those before - if I had, I might've taken my build in a different direction. I'm even more interested to see how yours turns out, deadie! Unfortunately, Mr. Hroch's site seems to be down at this time or I'd post a link to Thunderboy Heavy Industries..
Mark, Charles can be reached through his Thunderboy Facebook page.
James Nichols

halloweenfan 1978
Master of Masking

#17 Post by halloweenfan 1978 »

The build is lookin' good, Mach 7!
James Nichols

Mark McGovern
Finger Painter

#18 Post by Mark McGovern »

Thanks for Charles' contact info, deadie. If my idea for the base doesn't work out, I may have to give him a buzz.
Mark McG.
I build therefore I am.

Chuck
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Glue Sniffer

#19 Post by Chuck »

Mark McGovern wrote:OOOOHH!! I haven't seen one of those before - if I had, I might've taken my build in a different direction. I'm even more interested to see how yours turns out, deadie! Unfortunately, Mr. Hroch's site seems to be down at this time or I'd post a link to Thunderboy Heavy Industries..
Thanks for the thought, Mark. These days, I'm more active on my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/thunderboyhi/

mach7
Finger Painter

#20 Post by mach7 »

A little more done.

I noticed that Flash's tool kit had no back and it was very noticeable when I dryfitted it, so I filled in the kit with Aves Sculpt.
I think it looks much better now. I'll sand it tomorrow when its fully set. I also started some painting on his smaller parts.

I put a coat of white primer on Flash. I'm still not sure what the final suit color will be.

Also, I've been posting on all 3 sites, Hobbytalk, FSM, and here. Should I continue, or stick to just one site?
Thoughts?