What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Tyrannosaurs vs Triceratops scene

Show off your in-progress builds! This is the place to post questions about building and painting your model kits and to share your latest techniques.

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Red Comet
Seam Filler

Tyrannosaurs vs Triceratops scene

#1 Post by Red Comet »

Here is something I've been slowly working on over the last few months, a scene involving some Tyrannosaurs and a dead Triceratops :

http://www.ghostofzeon.com/wip/dinosaurs/trex/wip.html

So far, I've nearly prepared all three Dinosaurs for painting which involved a ton of filling, reproducing skin textures and modifying the Triceratops to look 'dead'.

Thoughts and suggestions are more than welcome so let me know what you think so far.

DisturbedEarth0
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

Re: Tyrannosaurs vs Triceratops scene

#2 Post by DisturbedEarth0 »

Looking great so far. Please post more progress photos when you can.

Bobby

Red Comet
Seam Filler

#3 Post by Red Comet »

Been a while since I updated this one but here it is :

http://www.ghostofzeon.com/wip/dinosaur ... ml#update1

Painting of the Triceratops done - just need to give him a wash and then I can move on to the T-Rex.

Too Much Garlic
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#4 Post by Too Much Garlic »

Looks nice, though I would definitely give the Triceratops some cheeks, that would be natural for such an animal, when eating all those plants, to hold it all in, while chewing. What was the donor kit for that one? Hope I don't offend, but I think your work is of a better quality than the rest of the kit and doesn't really fit in with the simpler look of the rest. If it was me I would go over the whole kit and add my own touches to it to blend things together better. You seem like you have the skill for that and will make the piece more YOURS. And in that wound you could easily have a few ribs showing.
No Humor Man - Corporation for Bad Swimmers
The Prop Den

Red Comet
Seam Filler

#5 Post by Red Comet »

Thanks for the comments. Ribs are a good idea which I had thought of but didn't put in for some reason. I may put a couple in yet.

The kit I used for the dead Triceratops, was the standard Tamiya kit, which is incredibly scientifically incorrect - which makes it an ideal kit for what I have done with it.

Red Comet
Seam Filler

#6 Post by Red Comet »

Update - The main colours of the Rex has been painted and it's looking very 'crocodillian' at the moment.

I have also experimented with drawing on veins so I am interested in how they look, so please let me know what you think.

Link : http://www.ghostofzeon.com/wip/dinosaur ... ml#update2

Too Much Garlic
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#7 Post by Too Much Garlic »

The veining really adds realism to the piece. Looking forward to your next progress shots. Keep it going and don't be shy to use the red and blue at other places on the body since you are able to apply them so smoothly and light.
No Humor Man - Corporation for Bad Swimmers
The Prop Den

Red Comet
Seam Filler

#8 Post by Red Comet »

Thanks for the encouragement, I was planning on doing some contrasting bands across it's back in a yellow or orange bordered in black but I may just try the Medium blue and Red bordered in black.