What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Monsterpalooza 2014 / Photos to enjoy / More added (4/3)

Monsterpalooza info, news, and questions here!

Moderator: Moderators

BandWFrog
Seam Filler

Monsterpalooza 2014 / Photos to enjoy / More added (4/3)

#1 Post by BandWFrog »

Hello all,

I'll try to upload as many photos as I can, as quickly as I can but I've got a busy schedule these days! Resizing and editing the photos take a little longer than I thought. I miss my digital camera (sigh...)

First up: AFM Contest. After a steady increase since the first edition, a definite drop in the number of entries this year. But the quality was there. Beautiful works all around. Shout out to the Alternate Universe Modelers' Club. Several members took home a few prizes. (including yours truly. my very first. 2nd place in the sci-fi horror category with Solarwind's The Thing) Being recognized by the likes of Terry Webb, Jeff Camp, Jim Lawrence and John Allred (judges) is gratifying.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bandwfrog ... 248436053/

I'll edit this post to add more pix. (The Museum and some show stuff)

Hey all again,

Here are a few more photos:

The "museum"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bandwfrog ... 294968375/

Things I saw and liked (or in one case didn't know what to think of) while roaming the aisles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bandwfrog ... 370708775/

Enjoy!

Olivier
Last edited by BandWFrog on April 3rd, 2014, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who watches the watchmen ?

Nalissa2

Re: Monsterpalooza 2014 / Photos to enjoy

#2 Post by Nalissa2 »

Congratulations!!!
That was some stiff competition and you did well! Your entries were very clean and crisp.

Thank you for taking time to post those. I enjoyed looking at them a lot. Were the Gigeresque entries scratch built?
The "floating fat man" looks like the Baron from Dune.

malachite
Squire of the Sprue

#3 Post by malachite »

Thanks for posting and well done!......... I like the look of the steampunk looking Moebius Bride and Monster with all the interesting add-ons.

lugnut
Clubhouse Alumni
Knight of the Round Bench

#4 Post by lugnut »

Some beautiful work...and good photos too.
-Bill Mayo

dcole
Master of Masking

#5 Post by dcole »

Hey Oliver,

Congrats on taking second place in the Sci-Fi category! I definitely remember your The Thing; we spoke briefly about painting eyes on kits while you were setting up your entries.

I agree that number of entries were smaller this year but that the quality of work was very high, the highest in the three years I've attended, I think. I was also quite gratified to receive recognition from that panel of judges. Looking at all the entries I just thought "wow!" Getting on the podium with a third place in Modern Horror (Dawn of the Dead Airport Zombie) made all the effort worthwhile. :D

We had some other Clubhouse winners that day too - Wolfman, who else?.

And Susan, yes, I believe all of those entries in the Original Horror category were scratch built. Pretty impressive to see in person!
Debi

Reliving my childhood, one bit of painted plastic at a time.

Rob P.
Seam Filler

#6 Post by Rob P. »

Thank You for posting up pictures of the contest! Absolutely some great work displayed and it really is neat to see all the models like this! Congratulations to all of you who could enter, it has got to be alot of fun at these contests! Someday I hope to make it to one for the experience!

Rob

relikizan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#7 Post by relikizan »

congrats, olivier!!!
Bonjot Models - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonjot-Mo ... 8388458076

"The eagle never lost so much time, as when he submitted to learn of the crow." - William Blake

hedorah59
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#8 Post by hedorah59 »

You deserved it, Olivier. Great job on the Thing!
Kirk

Self proclaimed King of the 'Nice work' comment...

Zephyr
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#9 Post by Zephyr »

Congrats!

WOW! What a sensational line-up! Anyone have any idea if the tall Alien woman-thing, the fat mecha-dude and the other mecha guy with the red plush-thing are kits, and if so where I can purchase them? They're fantastic!
"I might disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Hall, in 'Friends of Voltaire'

aussiedave
Earl of Epoxy

#10 Post by aussiedave »

Congratulations on the award and thanks for posting the great photos!

Faust
Jack of all Trades

#11 Post by Faust »

Great pics, thanks for putting them up for us to see and congratulations on the win.

I would love to know a bit more about this one:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bandwfrog ... 3248436053

Is it an original piece or a kit?
Either way, I loved to know who sculpted/produced it as well.
Robert

oddioh
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#12 Post by oddioh »

Faust wrote:Great pics, thanks for putting them up for us to see and congratulations on the win.

Hey guys, the mech kits in question were all sculpted by a friend of mine, Jason Hite. Here's a link to his website for anyone interested in seeing more of his work: http://hitestudios.com/

There were some great entries in the contest this year - not a stinker in the bunch! :lol: Congrats to all who participated, great work!
Ryan Buckalew
Check out my website: www.themonsterspeaks.com
or my art page on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/themonsterspeaks

dcole
Master of Masking

#13 Post by dcole »

Thanks for the link to Jason's site. Really cool stuff! Love the Mecha Buddha. :)
Debi

BandWFrog
Seam Filler

#14 Post by BandWFrog »

Hey all,

@ everyone: You're all very welcome. I'm always dying to see pictures from the three "major" shows when they're over so I'm glad I can provide the same "service" to anyone who can't make the trek to lala land.

@ Susan: Thanks! All those hours hunched over my worktable paid off. Yep, high level entries from everyone. Yes. floating fat man is Baron Harkonnen (sp?) from Dune. As Oddioh mentioned above, all three entries were scratch sculpted / built. Jason placed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the "Misc." category. Deservedly so. I have to admit, quite a few us sighed when he displayed his pieces. "Here goes our chances..." was the general feeling. lol. Incredibly beautiful, original, work. I have a soft spot for the Giger/Alien inspired piece (which took 1st place).

@ Malachite: That dio was a labor of love. Lot's of details. I should have taken close up shots.

@ Lugnut: I have to say, taking pix is easy compared to, let's say, a Wonderfest. Small amount of entries. Small room. Small (sadly) foot traffic. It makes for a very laid-back atmosphere and you can get real close to the kits and take your time. It results in some good pix, even taken with an iPad mini.

@ Debbie: Hey again! Nice to put a face to the CH handle! Had no clue you were... you. Good talking to you (albeit briefly). Eyes! The bane of our collective painter's existence! Congrats on placing w/ your Zombie. Very tight paint-job. And that plaid shirt was impressive. Don't want to know how long you spent on it!

Who is Wolfman on here and what did he paint? I'm more familiar with the members of the Alternate Universe

@ Rob P. You should definitely make the trip. As nice as it is to see pictures, it, obviously, doesn't show you how good the works truly are. The camera doesn't capture the subtle skintones variations, the crisp highlights, the work done on the shading. Entering the contest is fun (and a little "stressful"). Getting praises from your fellow garage kits builders/painters is the best.

@ Richard: Thanks man. It was a really nice surprise. Ken and John kept saying "Giovanna" would get me an award but it didn't happen. No big whoop. The fact that both were impressed by her was plenty recognition for me! I don't think that Gabe saw her. I told him I had entered her in the contest but I don't know if he ever made it to the contest room. I didn't go back to your booth so I still owe you for that kit. Next meeting.

@ Kirk. Thank you. It was good talking to you again. Did you contact "thebrushguys"? Susan (Nalissa2) gets credit for turning me on to these guys (and by the same token, upping up my game by using the proper brushes for small details). The eyes on your zombie were phenomenal!

@Zephyr: OOAK. It they were kits, I pity the mold maker and caster!

@ Aussiedave: Thank you!

@ Faust: you're welcome and thank you! Ryan answered all your questions @ Jason's pieces.

@ Ryan: Thanks for the info. I didn't hear the name when Terry Webb announced the results. The stuff on his site is incredible! An amazing artist.
Who watches the watchmen ?

dcole
Master of Masking

#15 Post by dcole »

Hey Oliver,

Wolfman is 41Wolfman. He painted the awesome Phantom that took (I believe) first place in the Silent Horror category.

Yeah, the plaid took a little while. Not hard to do, just tedious! :D
I love the Sheer Terror line of busts. I was talking to John before they announced the awards and I plan on coming up for his Chop Top class. So I will see you in the near future!
Debi

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#16 Post by LOBOREX »

BandWFrog Thanks so much for posting these pics, some really fantastic work on display.
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#17 Post by LOBOREX »

oddioh wrote:
Faust wrote:Great pics, thanks for putting them up for us to see and congratulations on the win.

Hey guys, the mech kits in question were all sculpted by a friend of mine, Jason Hite. Here's a link to his website for anyone interested in seeing more of his work: http://hitestudios.com/

There were some great entries in the contest this year - not a stinker in the bunch! :lol: Congrats to all who participated, great work!
Thanks for the link, your friend is one very talented guy. 8)
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

41Wolfman
Master of Masking

#18 Post by 41Wolfman »

Just spotted this and had to add my little bit.Debi is correct, my Kitkong Phantom did win 1st in silent horror, and my Moebius Mummy took second in the Moebius category.I also entered my Lugosi Dracula and Chaney Wolfman both from kitkong as well.

dcole
Master of Masking

#19 Post by dcole »

41Wolfman wrote:Just spotted this and had to add my little bit.Debi is correct, my Kitkong Phantom did win 1st in silent horror, and my Moebius Mummy took second in the Moebius category.I also entered my Lugosi Dracula and Chaney Wolfman both from kitkong as well.
Ah, I didn't know about the Mummy. Congrats on that one, too!

I had a hard time hearing some of the winners that Terry was announcing, and I sure couldn't see everything. I wonder if there is a complete winners list posted somewhere?
Debi

41Wolfman
Master of Masking

#20 Post by 41Wolfman »

dcole wrote:
41Wolfman wrote:Just spotted this and had to add my little bit.Debi is correct, my Kitkong Phantom did win 1st in silent horror, and my Moebius Mummy took second in the Moebius category.I also entered my Lugosi Dracula and Chaney Wolfman both from kitkong as well.
Ah, I didn't know about the Mummy. Congrats on that one, too!

I had a hard time hearing some of the winners that Terry was announcing, and I sure couldn't see everything. I wonder if there is a complete winners list posted somewhere?
Thanks Debi. I'm not sure if there is a list on the net or if they will possibly list it in AFM's next issue, here's hopin'.