Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#41 Post by Hobby_Dude »

" i just got the bad news
the fourth is the fest
when i tell the family
i better wear a kevlar vest "

You are too funny. You have real song writing skills. Well, I hope somebody has some pics from the show. Sounds like there were some cool models.
-- Hobby Dude

Zombiezilla
Earl of Epoxy

#42 Post by Zombiezilla »

raydrz wrote:
lotsa 'regulars' were not in attendance...no john tuckyXO, no alanW monsters direct, no mike wallace, no bill gudmunson, no ed godziewski & family, no bilal/hobby dude...BUT still got to see lotsa other folks...steven (evil_ryu) came up and introduced himself and car(o)l :wink: Zombiezilla and his fam made it...
Ah...ha...ha...

Yeah, you would think after attending every one of these (aside from the California ones) and having subscribed to G-Fan since issue 9 that they would have my name on file. Heh.

It was a good weekend, though not as GREAT as they have been in the past at times. But then again, after so many of them, they have all started to bleed together in the memory. I still think the glory days were at the Radisson.

It has now turned into a Bandai convention with the lacking of the kits. Seriously, how many friggin' Bandai dealers do we need?

Are you serious though John, it is now a 4 day event next year??? That's pretty sweet for those of us who can attend! I'm glad it is over the holiday weekend, especially since the following week I will be leaving out of town, as opposed to this year where I left the family vacation a day early to attend.

I want to thank Kaijumodeler (Greg it was, I am almost 100% sure) again for holding the kit for me all weekend. That was dang nice to do, especially not knowing who I was. Granted, John may have vouched for me a bit, but still. It's my first resin kit, and it is scaring me a bit. It seems that my first dive into resin will also be my first dive into using my Dremel bigtime! John tells me to use CA glue, but then I read about kits being put together with Aves Apoxy. Which do you all recommend? I have John's vote, now how about a few more?

The food at the Crowne is stupid in price. If you are not staying at the hotel, John is right, they hold you hostage with the cost of leaving and returning. But if you are staying there, it is $10 all day, allowing you to leave as often as you like. Still a rip when you realize how much you are spending all weekend though. But according to the people in the hotel the parking lot is not their's.

The "specials" at the food counter are a joke. The one of these I saw was a hotdog and chips for...$6.00! That does NOT include the drink, which would be about $3.95.

I am a "Priority Club" member, and when I got there they told me that entitled me to free wi-fi, something else, or free botteled water. They didn't tell me how to take advantage of any of these, so I went back to ask.

"How do I get the free botteled water?" I asked the lady behind the front desk.

"It should be in your room, just go ahead and have those and we will deduct your price". She said with a smile.

I was about to take any chances though, I know how these things work.

"Do you mean the bottles of water that say $2.95 on them? Or are there some special tiny bottles around I haven't seen yet?"

"No sir, the bottles with $2.95 are the ones for you to have".

I was speechless! How could they let something so valuable be had for nothing???

I only took in King Kong Vs. Godzilla on the shrunken bigscreen. I was amazed though, as when the old movies are screened so late, I usually nod off for a brief spell during them at some point. But oddly enough, even though KKvsG is the movie I used to put on when falling asleep years ago, this time I did NOT fall asleep at all. Granted, my butt was killing me by the end, but I made it!!!
http://bugeyedmonsters.blogspot.com/ My blog for movie reviews!

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#43 Post by raydrz »

carl could ya expound on the quality/set-up of GVKK?...i totally passed on the pickwick's "DVD projections"...

no worries on that G71...the only kits that were anywhere near "hot" were: image king ghidorah (matt sold 2), RCTU megalon (imagine that!...matt sold 2 sunday after picking them up saturday PM!!!)...greg sold a MIB KOC grand king ghidorah for $500 which has been collecting dust for several years...
JOHN PETIK
"Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind."
http://s1294.beta.photobucket.com/

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#44 Post by Zeiram »

For want of a better place to stick this tidbit, did anyone notice that Tucky's website has a preorder for a Yamakawa reissue of the old KOC GvMothra kit? Quite a bit more expensive than the original issue since it's now broken into two kits, but it's a sweet one. One of the few buildups I still own.

- larry
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

Zombiezilla
Earl of Epoxy

#45 Post by Zombiezilla »

KKvsG looked fantastic on its projection, but since it was the DVD projection for some reason they couldn't get it to fill the screen all the way. But even my wife commented on how great it looked. They must have been using a pretty high caliber DVD player, as even my copy doesn't look as good as that one did.

RCOS Megalon? Is that the Resin Chef one? Is that the big 12" one? I love that one dangit! I'll have to grab that one for sure if I am successful on the G71. That was Greg I bought from, right?

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#46 Post by raydrz »

Zeiram wrote:For want of a better place to stick this tidbit, did anyone notice that Tucky's website has a preorder for a Yamakawa reissue of the old KOC GvMothra kit? Quite a bit more expensive than the original issue since it's now broken into two kits, but it's a sweet one. One of the few buildups I still own.

- larry

i knew that looked familiar but not as yamakawa...

can't imagine it's a good idea for re-release...that SOB is one of the most recasted kits in kaijuland!!!!!
JOHN PETIK
"Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind."

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#47 Post by Zeiram »

raydrz wrote:i knew that looked familiar but not as yamakawa...

can't imagine it's a good idea for re-release...that SOB is one of the most recasted kits in kaijuland!!!!!
Yeah, Yamakawa sculpted it and KOC released it originally. I hope it does well for him despite the bootlegs. It's a great kit.

- larry
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#48 Post by raydrz »

Zombiezilla wrote:KKvsG looked fantastic on its projection, but since it was the DVD projection for some reason they couldn't get it to fill the screen all the way. But even my wife commented on how great it looked. They must have been using a pretty high caliber DVD player, as even my copy doesn't look as good as that one did.

RCOS Megalon? Is that the Resin Chef one? Is that the big 12" one? I love that one dangit! I'll have to grab that one for sure if I am successful on the G71. That was Greg I bought from, right?
yup. that was greg's 71 you got...kick @$$ compared to the SD west kenji kit of that scene...

RCTU=resin chef/team ukeke...aka bill's kitchen...one of bill's best!

glad the movie worked out ok...little braves was a more-than-adequate substitute for me...
JOHN PETIK

Zombiezilla
Earl of Epoxy

#49 Post by Zombiezilla »

I was watching LITTLE BRAVES when I got home and was unpacking. That is such a good flick!

Any tips on getting rid of LOTS of resin?

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#50 Post by raydrz »

Zombiezilla wrote: Any tips on getting rid of LOTS of resin?
:?: :?: :?: :-s

whachutalkinboutwillis????
JOHN PETIK

kiryu

#51 Post by kiryu »

So where are the pictures of the fest?

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#52 Post by raydrz »

sorry soeren, but as i posted:
my camera's feeling under the weather these days, so i got ZERO pixxx...the model room had around 30 entries...12-15 of which were kids division...

larry tribula's G v talos, fighting packys, gwangi were 3 of the nicer ones...there was a GIGANTIC display of godzilla vs the titanic based on the G-fan cover which was incredible...jon legrand had a baragon, a paradise G62 (nato base version IIRC), and a couple more that were nice...

conspicuous by their absence: bilal's handful of gold ribbon winners, my own usual 8-10 suspects, 'judges table stuff' chef bill, mattE, mike wallace
JOHN PETIK

kiryu

#53 Post by kiryu »

Must have missed that part with the poor camera...too bad :(

Anyway, a bunch of the cool dioramas you mentioned were also present at the WF so i guess i didn't miss that much.

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#54 Post by raydrz »

exactamundo
JOHN PETIK