What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Suggestions for modeling demos and programming.

G-Fest info, news, and questions here!

Moderator: Moderators

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

Suggestions for modeling demos and programming.

#1 Post by timetraveler »

In consultation with Stan, input from fellow Kaiju model enthusiasts regarding topics to be covered in the modeling demos and suggestions regarding the modeling programming would be welcomed on this forum. Planning is now underway for G-Fest XX and now is the time to make your ideas known!

What would you like to see? More emphasis on assembly? Painting? Sculpting? Dioramas?

More emphasis on beginner or advanced technique?

Seminars on classic Kaiju, more recent characters or dinosaurs.

Collecting Kaiju models?

Longer vs shorter classes?

Programming on Friday, Saturday and Sunday?

A Make and Take class for kids?

Lets get them ideas going!

Thanks!!! :D

brianfett

Re: Suggestions for modeling demos and programming.

#2 Post by brianfett »

For me I would like more painting techniques and ideas for dioramas. Building them and items to make them better.

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#3 Post by timetraveler »

Brian: Thanks for you input. Regarding painting are you looking for capturing screen accurate coloring or something else?

Is there a question of airbrush vs paintbrush?

Thanks!

brianfett

#4 Post by brianfett »

I really prefer screen accurate paint jobs but I would like more emphasis on details like eyes, claws, teeth. Shadings etc. I don't have an airbrush but I would like one. All of my kits were done with drybrushing. Airbrush techniques would be useful.

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#5 Post by timetraveler »

Great suggestions. Thanks! :D

plyometrics
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#6 Post by plyometrics »

brianfett wrote:For me I would like more painting techniques and ideas for dioramas. Building them and items to make them better.
Ideas for dioramas is SUCH a wide open territory. Do you mean you would just like to see idea;s others are working on or are planning or have already built?

Robert T.
Diorama of miracles, the eternal work in progress! http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 20diorama/

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#7 Post by timetraveler »

Dioramas are a very popular modeling venue at G-Fest. Entries often incorporate outstanding design and technique to bring to life the great Kaiju monsters. Past topics have included:

How to create scenes of urban destruction, including semi-demolished buildings

How to create water effects, including surfaces of large bodies of water

How to fabricate a base using common materials like Water Putty and styrofoam

How to pose figures for maximum effect

And that is just a small part of past presentations.

One particularly fun and effective aspect of the G-Fest modeling demos is that they include Forums and Panels of accomplished modelers who are all enthusiastically willing to share their skills with others. :D

brianfett

#8 Post by brianfett »

plyometrics wrote:
brianfett wrote:For me I would like more painting techniques and ideas for dioramas. Building them and items to make them better.
Ideas for dioramas is SUCH a wide open territory. Do you mean you would just like to see idea;s others are working on or are planning or have already built?

Robert T.
I would like ideas for items to use. Ideas for rubble or ground or cracks or flame etc etc. Things that arent in the Scenics catalog. What surprising items can be used to make dioramas better.

brianfett

#9 Post by brianfett »

timetraveler wrote:Dioramas are a very popular modeling venue at G-Fest. Entries often incorporate outstanding design and technique to bring to life the great Kaiju monsters. Past topics have included:

How to create scenes of urban destruction, including semi-demolished buildings

How to create water effects, including surfaces of large bodies of water

How to fabricate a base using common materials like Water Putty and styrofoam

How to pose figures for maximum effect

And that is just a small part of past presentations.
Yes!! And these could be repeated. I have been to 7 Gfests not counting Gcon 95 and I have yet too see all the modeling presentations. There is just so much going on. There is always new people getting into the hobby so a repeat isn't a bad thing.
One particularly fun and effective aspect of the G-Fest modeling demos is that they include Forums and Panels of accomplished modelers who are all enthusiastically willing to share their skills with others. :D

plyometrics
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#10 Post by plyometrics »

brianfett wrote:
plyometrics wrote:

Robert T.
I would like ideas for items to use. Ideas for rubble or ground or cracks or flame etc etc. Things that arent in the Scenics catalog. What surprising items can be used to make dioramas better.

Ah. Ok.

Robert T.
Diorama of miracles, the eternal work in progress! http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 20diorama/

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#11 Post by timetraveler »

How much interest would there be in a class that would address "human type" kit building and painting, as well as the giant monsters?

Would a class in anime' style kitbuilding be wanted?

hydrobud
Seam Filler

#12 Post by hydrobud »

I believe a beginner modeling program should be a give in .

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#13 Post by timetraveler »

Great suggestion! Thanks :D

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#14 Post by timetraveler »

Still looking for suggestions on the modeling demos'. Any more specialized techniques or subjects you'd like covered?

DekayX

#15 Post by DekayX »

any specific approach to hair sculpting off of SS, alsohow to approach clothing/drapery; and also maybe how to Key parts of the sculpture, and assembly. Just some things i think us begginers have a lot of questions about...

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#16 Post by timetraveler »

Thanks for the suggestions regarding sculpting related topics. G-Fest usually has a professional sculptor attend the event and he usually gives a class, so I'll pass this on.

Thanks!