What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

R. L. Heikes R.I.P.

A place to remember members who have passed.

Moderator: Moderators

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: R. L. Heikes R.I.P.

#41 Post by temperflash »

The Japanese believe that one never dies so long as friends and family remember them and honor their deeds.
Ray had enough friends and well wishers that he will live on for some time to come.

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#42 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Awesome painting of Ray, makes me smile. Reminds me of his avatar.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

adegregorio
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#43 Post by adegregorio »

Very sorry to hear this... :(
Al DeGregorio

Commissions...HERE

torpted
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#44 Post by torpted »

I will miss Ray's keen and straightforward observations. He sometimes did not use capital letters in his posts and that kind of eccentricism impressed me. He was and looked like a wizard conjuring his thoughts into words and actions. Be at peace Ray and God bless you and Tom your friend to the end.
torpted

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#45 Post by kevtk135 »

I didn't know Ray personally, but only thru his posts here. But he seemed like a straight up guy.
The diagnosis didn't sound good, but it's still a shocker when the news comes.
RIP Ray.
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

monsterjones
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#46 Post by monsterjones »

Sorry to read the news..I always enjoyed Ray here at the Clubhouse!
I went back and re read some old post by him.
-Bill
To change one's life:
Start immediately, Do it flamboyantly, No exceptions.

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#47 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tom – you are someone I will forever look up to.

Ray was so lucky to have you as a friend. You are good people.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#48 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

I suspect the way I feel regarding Ray’s passing will be true for many of us here.
  • I knew him, but not as well as I would have liked.

I am glad he was with us, but wish he still was.

I will miss him, and am sad I could do so pitifully little to help him in his time of need.
I have never encountered anyone with such an extensive understanding of eBay, PayPal, and (of course) everything involved in designing and producing masks.

He could speak his mind but always had the knowledge and facts to back up his opinions. He liked to help.

He was a friend, a forum brother, a character . . . and totally irreplaceable. He was part of us, and we are made smaller by his absence.

Regardless of individual beliefs, I’m sure we ALL truly hope to meet you again someday Mr. Halloween Man.

Rest in peace Ray, you are missed already, and will always be remembered by us.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#49 Post by raydrz »

what a eulogy! i'm sobbing!!!well done, ian
JOHN PETIK
"Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind."
http://s1294.beta.photobucket.com/

jedideni
Clubhouse Alumni
Duke of Dry Brush

#50 Post by jedideni »

what a eulogy! i'm sobbing!!!well done, ian
I'll 2nd those comments. Very well said, Ian.

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#51 Post by LOBOREX »

HMS, =D> =D> =D>
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

Zombie_61
Earl of Epoxy

#52 Post by Zombie_61 »

I just read of Ray's passing over on Hobby Talk. I never had the opportunity to meet him in-person, but I had a number of conversations with him here at The Clubhouse over the years and he seemed to be a very decent person. My most sincere condolences to his family, friends, and anyone else who knew him better than I did.
The older I get, the better it was.

crazycanuk
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#53 Post by crazycanuk »

Rest in Peace Ray ! You will be missed :(
Phil C.

Oriontide
Clubhouse Alumni
Earl of Epoxy

#54 Post by Oriontide »

I'm so very sorry to hear this. Ray was a true original, and I always looked forward to what he had to say on any given topic. He will be sorely missed.

Sean

TomOtattoos
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#55 Post by TomOtattoos »

All of these messages have helped me a lot. Ian/Spike you have really made an impact with some of the things you told me, so thanks again. I know that Ray was a part of many forums. Zombiezilla mentioned the hobby forums. But I don't. I'm more of a Facebook/Clubhouse guy, and now I started going on the H.M.A. A place where Ray was also well known and respected. But for me the Clubhouse is special. I learned of it through Ray, as well as the hobby. I have met people here and cultivated true friendships with some really awesome people. I attended a few Wonderfest's with Ray and that became "our thing". Originally, I joined here because I just wanted to be a bigger part of the world he was so involved in. And I may not be a great builder, but I LOVE painting. I sat with Ray the year I entered my S.Wang 'Gillman' which took a silver award. We were equally proud. One of the highlights of my life...None of which would have been possible had I not gotten involved here at the C.H. And the manner in which you all have responded both through his illness, through to his passing, just proves that I'm speaking to the right crowd. And those of you who post, or know him from other forums, please continue to honor him and his amazing body of work.
Yesterday morning at 9:30am I had him buried at Parkview Cemetery in Livonia MI. I did (and continue to do) everything in my power to keep things as close to his wishes as possible. I did the best I could. The sad truth is that Ray has NO living family members, and the bit of money he was operating on over the years was wiped out after all the medical stuff started coming on. He had no insurance. So things have become quite the legal entanglement. Luckily he was smart enough give me certain things as gifts while he was alive, so that I was able to secure the most important pieces of his art. So thank you Ray for that. And I'm glad to share that info with all of you. I think it's important that you all know that his collection is being treated with respect. And I am doing my best to leave his home in a decent state for his landlord. Another thing he wanted me to do. Anyways, I'm rambling....again. Sorry this has been so consuming for so long, and I'm still trying to deal with it by staying busy.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#56 Post by raydrz »

:cry: FOR RAY

:bow: FOR TOM
JOHN PETIK
"Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind."
http://s1294.beta.photobucket.com/

Chop
Squire of the Sprue

#57 Post by Chop »

Its been said before, but youre a good man Tom. Truly. Thanks.
Chop

emsinker
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#58 Post by emsinker »

We mourn not for Ray, but for ourselves who have lost him.

Tom, my Emerson quote I always include in my posts is most apropos now with respect to so remarkable a friend you've been: "to know even one person has breathed easier because you have lived, this, this is to have succeeded." It is ironic here that Emerson employed the easy breathing metaphor---but it is true, you have "succeeded" in every manner in which a good friend is capable of succeeding. I can only hope to be worthy of such a friendship one day.

If you get a chance, Tom, read T.S. Eliott's "Return of the Magi." I am not a religious man, but it is a poem about the three wise men who witnessed the birth of Christ---the literal birth of Christianity and yet the death of all they had ever worshipped and known as "truth" before then. Please allow me to recall certain of those lines for you now (one of the Wise Men is speaking):

Were we led all that way for
Birth or Death? There was a Birth,
certainly,
We had evidence and no doubt. I had
seen birth and death,
But had thought they were different
;
this Birth was
Hard and bitter agony for us, like
Death, our death.
We returned to our places, these
Kingdoms,
But no longer at ease here, in the old
dispensation,
With an alien people clutching their
gods.
I should be glad of another death.

The Death of someone or something is necessarily the Birth of something else and vice versa. I urge you now to be aware of all the "births" that will spring from Ray's passing. It is the mystery of life; what Shakespeare seemingly contradictorily termed "sweet sorrow." Mourning is a luxury, for he or she who has never loved another cannot know sorrow from passing. Relationships are measured, not by longevity, but by intensity.

In Tom and Ray, I celebrate a truly remarkable friendship and a life truly well lived. May we all, in Ray's memory, make a conscious endeavor to be such a giving and loving friend to others, for we are measured not by how we love, but how we are loved by others (Oz to the Tin Man). Then, and only then, may we be worthy and deserving of a friend like Tom.

Ed

[I am a lawyer, Tom, so don't hesitate to call me if you need anything (gratis) and let me know how the money situation is and if you need anything.]
"To find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better; to know even one person has breathed easier because you have lived---this, this is to have succeeded." Ralph Waldo Emerson

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#59 Post by tay666 »

TomOtattoos wrote:I'm rambling....again. Sorry this has been so consuming for so long, and I'm still trying to deal with it by staying busy.
Ramble all you want.
We're here to listen, and help support you as well.
If letting some of it out here, help you cope, then, by all means. Ramble away!
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

kitator
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#60 Post by kitator »

Awsome words Ian.Could not have said it better.I talked to Ray in pm's occasionally.Awsome guy.I once told him he should have been a lawyer.Always knew his stuff.Wish I had known him better also.
Heavy Metal Spike wrote:I suspect the way I feel regarding Ray’s passing will be true for many of us here.
  • I knew him, but not as well as I would have liked.

I am glad he was with us, but wish he still was.

I will miss him, and am sad I could do so pitifully little to help him in his time of need.
I have never encountered anyone with such an extensive understanding of eBay, PayPal, and (of course) everything involved in designing and producing masks.

He could speak his mind but always had the knowledge and facts to back up his opinions. He liked to help.

He was a friend, a forum brother, a character . . . and totally irreplaceable. He was part of us, and we are made smaller by his absence.

Regardless of individual beliefs, I’m sure we ALL truly hope to meet you again someday Mr. Halloween Man.

Rest in peace Ray, you are missed already, and will always be remembered by us.

Thanks,Anthony
Some of my collection:
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll309/kitator/
email:
kitator360@yahoo.com