What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Vincent Bordogna

A place to remember members who have passed.

Moderator: Moderators

kitkong
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

Re: Vincent Bordogna

#21 Post by kitkong »

I hang my head in deep sorrow :(
He was always very kind to me, and very enthusiastic about this hoppy
I probably didn't know him as well as most of you, but I will definitely miss him :(
I observe a moment of silence and reflection in his passing

Rest easy Vin

----James (kitkong)
"you're gonna need a bigger boat."

Sal460885
Seam Filler

#22 Post by Sal460885 »

Vin was a great guy, always asking how my family was doing and a gentle person. RIP Vin, will miss the crazy texts back and forth.
“Why were the crow calling his name thought Caw”
Sal Villarreal

Warped Speed
Squire of the Sprue

R.I.P. VIN from Resin Crypt!

#23 Post by Warped Speed »

A friend who is on FB told me Vin died suddenly from a heart attack today. He will be missed in our community greatly. May God help his family through the hard day's to come.

R.I.P. VIN! :cry:

Carl-

rob_03
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#24 Post by rob_03 »

It is with great sadness that I write this.
I heard of Vin's death on Friday. I last spoke to him at the beginning of this month, probably the day before he died or even the day he died.
These words will not adequately convey my feelings. I have never enjoyed writing, I am a visual thinker and finding the right words is like pulling teeth.
But Vin gave me the opportunity to do something I love, sculpt.
Resincrypt kits were a collaborative effort but without his initiative, ambition and energy they would not have been made. He was the motivating force at the heart of it and I think he unappreciated his own contribution and achievements.
Vin started commissioning pieces from me about 10 years ago. We never met and I doubt he even knew what I look like. In fact for the first couple of years we probably only communicated by email!
But he was very trusting and had great faith in my abilities and great enthusiasm for the work that we produced together.

He was generous as well, he never underpaid me and once a figure was agreed never tried to re-negotiate it. He always paid me at least half well in advance. I think all artists need patrons and Vin was a great one. These kind of working relationships are a rarity. He would say his enthusiasm would 'sky rocket' once we'd decided on the idea and he had seen the mock up. He then couldn't wait to see w.i.p. shots, to post them and share his enthusiasm.

I doubt he ever made much money out of it, the amount of time and energy we spent (and Jeremy and NicK) on these projects .
It would surprise a lot of people how much effort, especially the ambitious multi part kits Vin used to like to produce took . But he kept doing it because it was his 'passion.'
In fact I think for as long as I knew Vin he was working two or three jobs. When I first knew him he would DJ on the night time after working his regular job. He loved music especially the Beatles and we had talked about him visiting me in England so that we could go to Liverpool and see their birth place.

He loved the old classic horror movies and their stars, as well, particularly Bela Lugosi and Colin Clive. His kits were a celebration of these movies. Our last conversation was, as always 'what project should we do next?'
His passing is a loss to the hobby that had given him so much pleasure and the end of an era for me.

As an English bloke I've never been one to readily show or express too much emotion but whenever I think about Vin, I now find myself welling up and I shouldn't. I should be laughing and smiling about all of his ambitious ideas and the joy that he got out of this hobby.

Thank you to Nick, Maryanne, Jeremy and Robb and everyone, who has posted here and other places for their kind words it has helped me not to remember him with such sadness.

Robert Price, Vin's sculptor and friend.

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#25 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Thanks for your beautiful, heartfelt post Robert.

A wonderful bit of background that helps us understand who Vin was.

So sorry for your loss.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

nickartdude67
Seam Filler

#26 Post by nickartdude67 »

Thank you Robert. You conveyed that sentiment perfectly.
An era has ended. This is a sad day and my heart hangs heavy.

Nick DeAngelo

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#27 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

My sympathies to you too Nick :(

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

kitkong
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#28 Post by kitkong »

Amen
"you're gonna need a bigger boat."

Graybeard
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#29 Post by Graybeard »

This is so sad and just another reason to embrace life as it can go in a flash. Rest in Piece Vinny. Thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends.

Stewart Jackson
Bishop of Build Ups

#30 Post by Stewart Jackson »

Brilliantly said Robert. I too always have difficulty expressing myself in written form, but you spoke from the heart and from your friendship, respect and that will ring true every time. Vin always told me how amazed he was at your talent and he was right on the mark!
"Transylvania; land of dark forests and black unfathomed lakes......."

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#31 Post by Scooke123 »

Very sad news!!! Condolences to his family and friends. RIP............................
Steve Cooke

dupacucc
GK Godfather
Jack of all Trades

#32 Post by dupacucc »

I've only just heard and can't believe it. Vinny was so full of energy. One of the early pioneers and a huge positive presence in this hobby. It was my pleasure to have met him, worked with him a couple times and enjoyed his efforts.
Rest in peace Vin.

crazycanuk
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#33 Post by crazycanuk »

I am totally saddened to here of his passing -----he was another one of the Great Producers - in our industry---Always Friendly and happy to talk with me . He would help me out with extra parts and pieces ,.when I was interested in making kits he sold into larger Dioramas.

My condolences to his family and friends . RIP my Friend -- you will be missed Greatly . Phil C. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Phil C.

Tim Casey
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#34 Post by Tim Casey »

Jeez. This sucks.

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#35 Post by Tiger2 »

Unbelievable, I have just stumbled upon this terrible news. Resin crypt certainly set a high bar for outstanding kits of great subjects, another major loss to the hobby.

What can I say, condolences to everyone involved.

Paul

Apefan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#36 Post by Apefan »

I'm shocked to read this this morning. I met Vin a few years ago when we attended a sculpture class together. He was working on a bust of Bela Lugosi, which was quite good. Said as a kit producer he wanted to get a better perspective of sculpting. He only attended one semester but we always talked at the shows. Very nice guy!

My condolences to his family.
Rich Di Iorio
My Clubhouse Gallery

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#37 Post by timetraveler »

Very shocked and sad to hear of Vincent's passing. He was a pillar of the modeling community. Very pleasant when met at shows, totally dependable when making purchases from him, and utterly committed to bringing the highest quality to the art form that he obviously loved so much. I was always moved by the high praise he would offer when referring to the sculptors that rendered his masterpieces.

plyometrics
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#38 Post by plyometrics »

Still processing this. Known Vin for probably close to 20 years starting from the old Chiller days. Gonna miss seeing him at shows. RIP Vin.

Robert T.
Diorama of miracles, the eternal work in progress! http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 20diorama/

dbow19
Glue Sniffer

#39 Post by dbow19 »

Hello Lads,
This is getting hard for me to process. I knew Vin from the Fest and emails and phone calls about kits and sculptures and just stuff. We shared that same deep appreciation and love for the old monsters. What makes it harder for me is to read that another relatively young member of our little hobby has left us.
I fell into the hobby in 1990, and will turn 70 this year, and it almost gives me a feeling of survivors guilt to keep reading of the 40 and 50 something year olds leaving us all too quickly. I am depressed to almost monthly see another name of someone I have dealt with, drank with, and even argued with having moved on.
These wonderful and talented young men should be up and running adding more joy and beauty to this world through theirs and others art.

Donald Bowman
Donald Bowman

3-D Monsters

"Life isn't always rose thorns and vulture screams"
Morticia Addams

rob_03
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#40 Post by rob_03 »

It was a year ago today that I last spoke with Vin, as always the main subject was, what are we going to do next?
Vin’s enthusiasm was always bubbling up.
I thought as a remembrance that I would go through the production process and talk about some of the ideas that never made it into a rubber bath. This isn't all of them just some of the ones I did mock ups for.

Vin liked to bounce a lot of ideas around and would message me when he had a quiet moment at work-often by the time he got home it would have changed to something else!

The very last kit we were discussing was a Bride of Frankenstein with Colin Clive from the final scene of the movie. Vin thought that the Bride character was an essential that was missing from his catalogue. Vin was always ambitious and liked to do something different to what had been done before. The plan for this was that it would ultimately be 4 figures with interlocking bases, including Pretorious and the creature pulling the destruction lever! It was doable but would have taken up a lot of shelf space.

Before this we had done quite a bit of work on the Abominable Dr Phibes, unfortunately we were pipped to the post with this one. This was a common problem, Vin thought that people ‘were reading his mind.’ But he had a very specific area of interest and it was very well trodden ground. Mainly it was the classic B/W horror, Universal and then Hammer. We had also discussed a series of Hammer Glamour busts but this again was pre-empted.

If Vin had started producing kits earlier he would have undoubtedly produced these and more.
Vin loved Vincent Price and we went through the 2 movies searching for a way we could reference all the plague deaths visited upon his enemies.
With Dr Phibes, Vin wanted an Aurora style box art. It would have had inter changeable heads but the struggle was trying to represent the plagues, which are not very literal to the bible. He particularly wanted the giant frog head mask making but it was difficult to incorporate it into the kit other than just being placed on the base.

Vin had liked the Barbara Steele we had done a lot and we talked about revisiting Black Sunday with a four figure kit with interlocking bases.
Karloff in I think his only vampire role as the Wurdluk. We'd discussed doing this one as a totally separate kit. The creepy old lady that he liked a lot. Barbara Steele with a glow in the dark rib cage commanding her undead minion to rise.

We were both fans of Raquel Welch and I did a small wax maquette of her from Hannah Caulder. I think Vin wanted her on a base with her husband's cross. JohnTucky came very close to doing something similar but very graciously didn't when I spoke to him about it.

The final scene of Hammer Dracula, Van Helsing Cushing with the crossed candle sticks vs the crumbling Chris Lee. I thought that the crumbling Chris Lee hadn't been done before and Vin liked the possibilities of the interlocking zodiac base. I even worked it out to scale. If any one wants to use it they are welcome to, I think it also has an inscription on it in Greek, but you get the idea!

Bela Lugosi, Vin was always talking about a Bela Lugosi despite already producing a perfectly good one. So we looked to a Broadway Bela Vampire and Bela approaching, we were pipped to the post on this one as well.

But the kit idea that Vin came back to the most and that I constantly discouraged him from was the scene in Frankenstein when Dwight Frye cuts down the body, of a hanged man for Colin Clive to make a monster out of! Vin often wanted to 'insert' himself in the kits. Vin wanted to be the face of the condemned man. Just the practicalities, involving the weight, the shelf space and the making of 3 figures was enough. I worked out the height it would be at one sixth scale and then trying to get it to actually stand up and come apart so that it could be boxed and shipped! :lol:

Our relationship would never had happened if it was not for the internet, it has made the world a smaller place and continues to give us give us all kinds of possibilities.

Vin's death has made it an emptier place.

Keep going and be ambitious.

Live the life you want now and enjoy it, we never know how soon it will be over.

PS I have now borrowed my girlfriend's computer and included some the images I have mentioned.They are not all resized or where I would like them to be but I'm out of practise with posting. :lol:
I should also say that once Vin totally committed to the idea. I would produce a finished mock up or redraw it and scale it in photoshop to the actual height the figure would be. Sometimes then I would even print the image onto card and assemble the figures to get an idea of the size and space it would take up. I did this with the Crypt and it it worked well but Pretorious showing Colin Clive 'the devil dolls' was to complicated and big.

Keep modelling :)

Last edited by rob_03 on April 2nd, 2021, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.