What is your preference?

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Clutch
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

What is your preference?

#1 Post by Clutch »

As I think about doing some classic Aurora kits now, I'm asking myself this question: How much customization do I want to do? For example, I really want to fill in the eye sockets of my Forgotten Prisoner because you shouldn't be able to see through to the back of his head. Another one - fill and blend the arm/leg seams of the dinos, or leave them visible so they can articulate like they did when I was young? I have a burning desire to paint the Dimetrodon exactly as it appeared in the catalog, simple paint job and all. It almost looks like they just airbrushed black onto the bare styrene.

Do we have purists out there? A happy medium?
Zombie_61
Earl of Epoxy

Re: What is your preference?

#2 Post by Zombie_61 »

The last time I built The Forgotten Prisoner I filled in the eye sockets, added the nasal septum, filled in the palate, and, since I wanted the head tilted back (like the box art) I made a rough section of cervical vertebrae from part of the sprue since it would be obvious that the bones in his neck were missing. But...that was a Polar Lights reissue, not an original Aurora kit, so I had no qualms about building it as I desired.

On that note, as much as I like Aurora's figure kits, in my opinion the bases are often too cluttered with items that seem to have been included for the sole purpose of making the base look more "busy". I'm in the "less is more" camp with regards to the bases provided with figure kits because I feel the base should supplement the figure without drawing attention from it. So the way I see it, if i've already modified the kit by leaving the "clutter" off of the base, the figure is fair game for modification/customization as well. I build for me--not for contests, not for collectors, not for any potential value the kit might have in the future. I can certainly understand the desire to keep a classic/rare/valuable kit as complete and original as possible, but for me the value is in building the kit to my satisfaction (within the limits of my skill level, that is).

I suppose that's my long-winded way of saying you should do whatever you want with your kits; if you're not happy with them, no one will be.
The older I get, the better it was.
halloweenfan 1978
Master of Masking

#3 Post by halloweenfan 1978 »

What he said!
James Nichols
Gu deoch... to drink; Gu cairdean... to friends; Gu Spors... to fun
tay666
Site Admin

#4 Post by tay666 »

Depends on the kit, and my mood.

Some of the dino kits I go all out. Full putty job on everything, etc.
http://www.tylisaari.com/prehistoricsce ... mybear.htm

While others I didn't even do the part seams, let alone the movable stuff. And then just do a quick and easy paint job.
http://www.tylisaari.com/prehistoricsce ... mysail.htm

And then there are the ones in between. Where I do the seams, but not the joints.
http://www.tylisaari.com/prehistoricsce ... ytrike.htm

I am trying to get away from doing too much on the Monster Scenes stuff.
There are just too many kits, and too much I want to do with them, to spend all the time on the prep work. Giant Insect has been on my bench forever because I got bogged down with seams and such. I'm trying to do a nice job on my Bob & Kathy kit. But after that, my other Kogars are going to be much simpler builds.
I just want to have some fun with them, and not try and build each one to be a contest winner.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths
Night-Owl
Duke of Dry Brush

#5 Post by Night-Owl »

I do a bit of both on the monster kits. Snap kits with moving parts I tend to glue in place and putty.
"You're going to be the eleventh commandment, thou shall not get away with it."
dr.realart.md
Squire of the Sprue

#6 Post by dr.realart.md »

Personally each kit has it's own set of plus and minus. I usually try to see what I can improve on first, then decide how to present it best qualities. Definitely it's a up to you the builder because it's your baby. Each kit has a personality of it's own. It gets real interesting when you see what others have done with the same kit.
Clutch
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#7 Post by Clutch »

Thanks for the replies! Been out a while due to work-related headaches. Trevor, I always enjoy seeing your stuff! That cave bear must have been a 'bear' to seam. Lol! I'll have to take some pics of my stuff that I started building again in the 90's. I got better skill-wise, but still didn't have sense enough to fill some major seams. :)
monsterjones
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#8 Post by monsterjones »

After doing Aurora model stock so many times...I LOVE
kitbashing!!! Thank you Kitbuilders and AFM for showing me how!

I did this Batman after I saw a Clubmember did one first:
http://www.monsterjones.com/Aurora/Batman_Shark.html

I added pins for fangs on my first..back to modeling after 30 years, Dracula
http://www.monsterjones.com/Aurora/Dracula_Aurora.html

then I added fur to Wolfman:
http://www.monsterjones.com/Aurora/Wolfman_Aurora.html
To change one's life:
Start immediately, Do it flamboyantly, No exceptions.
captain jack
Banned for Life
Banned for Life

#9 Post by captain jack »

Back in the late 80's early 90's I was doing paint UPs for customers.I charged a flat rate.Cut off the sprue.one sand on edge,glue.I probably did close too 500 kits.as customers grew accustomed they started asking for a little more.as years gone by they were introduced to vinyl and resin.Today they brag about their plastics.Simple out of the box originals.These represent history.Most were compleatest.They bought every companies reissue.But they didn't change a thing.Nice displays.box behind the built up.
Brian Vallery
patmoorea
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#10 Post by patmoorea »

Ouf ! when i saw the title, i thought it was about sex. :twisted:

It's okay :wink:
Zombie65

#11 Post by Zombie65 »

I guess it depends on whatever you think will look best. I was looking at some of the paint jobs on my Aurora kits the other day and I had a compulsion to re-do them (luckily this quickly passed!). In the end, I decided that those kits were done at a certain time in my life and that's how I did it then.
Zombie_61
Earl of Epoxy

#12 Post by Zombie_61 »

captain jack wrote:...Simple out of the box originals.These represent history...
I must admit, this is an issue for me every time I think about modifying a kit, more so if it's truly a rare kit. But usually I come to the conclusion that there are more than enough purists out there to preserve the kit's history, so I build it the way I want to.
Zombie65 wrote:...I was looking at some of the paint jobs on my Aurora kits the other day and I had a compulsion to re-do them (luckily this quickly passed!). In the end, I decided that those kits were done at a certain time in my life and that's how I did it then.
A good decision in my opinion; by not re-doing them, you're preserving your own kit history. Besides, if the kit's still available and it bothers you that much, you can always get and build another one and have irrefutable proof that your skills have improved over the years. :wink:
The older I get, the better it was.
Clutch
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#13 Post by Clutch »

monsterjones wrote:After doing Aurora model stock so many times...I LOVE
kitbashing!!! Thank you Kitbuilders and AFM for showing me how!

I did this Batman after I saw a Clubmember did one first:
http://www.monsterjones.com/Aurora/Batman_Shark.html

I added pins for fangs on my first..back to modeling after 30 years, Dracula
http://www.monsterjones.com/Aurora/Dracula_Aurora.html

then I added fur to Wolfman:
http://www.monsterjones.com/Aurora/Wolfman_Aurora.html

Love those! Great job!

Here is the Revell Styracosaurus I did. This was the second time I used an airbrush. I used enamel paint too! Lol!

But now I'm thinking why, why, why didn't I fill the seams first!? I'm just gonna treat it like a scrapbook. That's where my modeling skill was at that point in time.

tay666
Site Admin

#14 Post by tay666 »

That looks great.
And a lot like mine :D
http://www.tylisaari.com/prehistoricsce ... spiked.htm
Trevor Ylisaari

Clutch
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#15 Post by Clutch »

Thanks. I wasn't influenced by the box art. Much. Ok, a lot. :lol:

Oh, and it was the Monogram release.
tay666
Site Admin

#16 Post by tay666 »

Yeah. I figured.
Just like mine. The Monogram 88 box.

As the 79 box didn't have nearly as much paterning, especially on the head.
Trevor Ylisaari