What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

AFM ceasing magazine publication

Pull up a chair and discuss your favorite books, magazines, comic books, etc.
But not too loud, the Librarian doesn't like noise...

Moderator: Moderators

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

AFM ceasing magazine publication

#1 Post by derekc62 »

Facebook post from David Fisher:

SPECIAL NOTICE to all AFM Subscribers.

This year has been a rough year for everyone including Amazing Figure Modeler magazine. In twenty-six years of publishing, we’ve never faced the types of challenges that this year has thrown at us. Because of pandemic restrictions and unforeseen problems with the lack of newsstand distribution (our newsstand distributor halted all magazine orders since last February) and dwindling retail outlets have forced AFM to cease publishing a physical magazine. It saddens us to say Issue #70, our current issue, will be our last printed publication.

While this is terrible news for AFM and its readers, it is said when one door closes, another opens! We at AFM refuse to go down without a fight, so we are announcing the continuation of Amazing Figure Modeler magazine as an all-digital publication. What does this mean? It means the same quality of modeling instruction you’ve come to expect from us, but now we are not limited by page count restrictions. We can present larger photos and more in-depth instruction. We are even exploring the addition of short video clips and other technologies to make AFM an even more exciting experience for our readers. We did a poll last issue, and most of you who responded said you would be willing to follow us going forward as a digital publication. We hope that it is true, because we need you now more than ever! Our continued success depends entirely on you, our loyal readers.

In the next few days, current subscribers will receive a letter or email (depending on your contact information) from AFM detailing our transition from print to digital publishing, and options for you as a current AFM subscriber. We will need you to respond to us via email or snail mail to let us know how you wish to continue with us, and we will need confirmation of the email address where you want to receive notices and updates regarding future digital issues. Our plan is to freeze all subscriptions and send information and links to download the balance of your subscriber issues as we move forward. For everyone else, you will be able to purchase and download new content directly from our website.

We want to thank our readers for your support for the past twenty-six years, and we hope you continue with us as we go through this dramatic transition. Stay tuned to our website and social media for updates and please be patient with us as we progress through these turbulent times! Please feel free to share across other FB Pages.
Derek Conlon

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

AFM ceases magazine publication

#2 Post by derekc62 »

Facebook post from David Fisher:

SPECIAL NOTICE to all AFM Subscribers.

This year has been a rough year for everyone including Amazing Figure Modeler magazine. In twenty-six years of publishing, we’ve never faced the types of challenges that this year has thrown at us. Because of pandemic restrictions and unforeseen problems with the lack of newsstand distribution (our newsstand distributor halted all magazine orders since last February) and dwindling retail outlets have forced AFM to cease publishing a physical magazine. It saddens us to say Issue #70, our current issue, will be our last printed publication.

While this is terrible news for AFM and its readers, it is said when one door closes, another opens! We at AFM refuse to go down without a fight, so we are announcing the continuation of Amazing Figure Modeler magazine as an all-digital publication. What does this mean? It means the same quality of modeling instruction you’ve come to expect from us, but now we are not limited by page count restrictions. We can present larger photos and more in-depth instruction. We are even exploring the addition of short video clips and other technologies to make AFM an even more exciting experience for our readers. We did a poll last issue, and most of you who responded said you would be willing to follow us going forward as a digital publication. We hope that it is true, because we need you now more than ever! Our continued success depends entirely on you, our loyal readers.

In the next few days, current subscribers will receive a letter or email (depending on your contact information) from AFM detailing our transition from print to digital publishing, and options for you as a current AFM subscriber. We will need you to respond to us via email or snail mail to let us know how you wish to continue with us, and we will need confirmation of the email address where you want to receive notices and updates regarding future digital issues. Our plan is to freeze all subscriptions and send information and links to download the balance of your subscriber issues as we move forward. For everyone else, you will be able to purchase and download new content directly from our website.

We want to thank our readers for your support for the past twenty-six years, and we hope you continue with us as we go through this dramatic transition. Stay tuned to our website and social media for updates and please be patient with us as we progress through these turbulent times! Please feel free to share across other FB Pages.
Derek Conlon

Warped Speed
Squire of the Sprue

Re: AFM ceasing magazine publication

#3 Post by Warped Speed »

Too bad. But it's great tho to see them soldier on! I wish them all the best and have a great new future at AFM. =D>

God Bless them,
Carl-

llricmc
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#4 Post by llricmc »

I am with them all the way!
Ric McHone

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#5 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Can't say I'm surprised. Real shame though.

Thanks for posting the news here for us Derek :thumb2:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#6 Post by tay666 »

Made this a global announcement.
This is huge news for this corner of the hobby and should be seen by all.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#7 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Like Spike, said . it's a shame but it's been coming..
Fred of Modelers Resource knew changes were coming back in 2006 when he quit.
They can go digitial I hope it works for them.. Comic Books tired digital did not work out well.
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

Heavy Metal Spike

#8 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

scuzzfink85 wrote: . . . Comic Books tired digital did not work out well.
Yeah - that was my initial thought.

There's a number of challenges, but one major one that undermined this for comics was pirate copies.

I'm hoping that since AFM feeds a much smaller community, the digital version won't attract the attention of those who make/upload/distribute illegal copies of comics & graphic novels.

I'm also sure that their current readership wouldn't read from those "recast" sources even if they DID become available.

So that's one hurdle they shouldn't have in common with the comic companies.

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#9 Post by derekc62 »

I'll support AFM no matter the format but I'm concerned that readership will only continue to dwindle with a move to strictly on-line.

I discovered AFM through a styrene kit - Polar Lights' Wolf Man. There was an insert in the box encouraging subscriptions. Otherwise, it's unlikely I would have found AFM, or discovered the various shows or met the people I've met and corresponded with in the hobby (on the other hand maybe I would have saved a small fortune in kit purchases! :D ).

My point is, without having that extra profile of being on a news stand I'm afraid AFM will only be visible to those of us who are already 'in the know' and in the hobby.

It's already hard enough for some people in this hobby to stay on top of what's happening with new kit releases. Just recently there was a thread here on the CH about Jeff Yagher releases and how FB is the place to find out about new kits, how producers aren't even bothering to keep the CH up to date on their releases. If some of us in the hobby aren't even aware of where to find new releases how on earth do you expect new comers to find out? I myself am a member of roughly 20 different FB groups as I try to keep tabs on what's going on. I realize AFM had fallen behind when it came to information on new kits - FB groups have replaced that function - but for the casual hobbyist, esp. the ones not on FB, AFM was/is a great resource for modellers and producers who continued to buy ads. The ads must have paid off or they wouldn't have bought them....

Without AFM and a more robust use of the CH as the common ground used by all I'm concerned the hobby will become more and more fractured as modellers try to find the right FB pages to join just to find out what's going on their own hobby.
Derek Conlon

Heavy Metal Spike

#10 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

I agree with your entire post Derek - and wholeheartedly embrace the final sentence.

Online works for some things . . . Scott & Jason's "Model Club TV" for example, which is growing in popularity through talent & word-of-mouth . . . but I'm nervous about it being the way forward for what has historically been a business supported by printed media.

Let's hope it works out - the costs should be a lot less to produce (and distribute!), so that might ease any "start-up" hiccups while the creators & audience find their feet with the new format.

Fingers crossed!

Tim Casey
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#11 Post by Tim Casey »

I'll take a digital subscription (and I won't share it).

You know, my biggest "uh-oh" worry about the garage kit scene is that I check eBay every morning while having coffee to see what Monster Model auctions are ending in the next 24 hours. Been doing it for years. It's usually 4 to 5 pages long. Many, many days this year it's been only one page. A couple of times wouldn't worry me, but it seems to be happening about a third of the time.

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#12 Post by Scooke123 »

I've seen that as well on eBay Tim. Not as much there anymore - I hope it is only due to what's going on in the world right now.

I will support AFM through digital and hope enough people do so as well to keep it going.

Sucks things go this way but its the way of the times and you have to adapt to survive.
Steve Cooke

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#13 Post by Buc Wheat »

Sheesh... we should just post "GET OFF MY LAWN" signs around here
w/ all you all whining so much about '...dem good ol' days'!!!

We're OLD, ya mofo's!!

The hobbies evolving... hell, once printers get down to
the cost of hard drives and flash drives, then everything's gonna be 3D stl's! Hell,
90% of new stuff already is!

Stop feeling bad and enjoy what cool stuff's coming out every day! The majority
of it is eye popping greatness and this hobby, in its new form, will be just fine!

Buc

Heavy Metal Spike

#14 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Buc Wheat wrote: . . . We're OLD, ya mofo's!! . . .
You speak for yourself - some of us are just young (ish) whippersnappers.

Now pass the gaviscon!

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#15 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Psychical media will last were as digital can be lost or erased ..
I can you can enjoy reading a magazine in print any time without being watched.
It's sound like paranoia true.. It's the way I see things.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

R.T 2021

Heavy Metal Spike

#16 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tim Casey wrote: . . . You know, my biggest "uh-oh" worry about the garage kit scene is that I check eBay every morning while having coffee to see what Monster Model auctions are ending in the next 24 hours. Been doing it for years. It's usually 4 to 5 pages long. Many, many days this year it's been only one page. A couple of times wouldn't worry me, but it seems to be happening about a third of the time.
I think a large part of that is that eBay isn't as popular for sellers as it used to be due to the charges and the way they treat complaints etc.

But you're right - we all know things have been a bit quieter over the last couple of years (in some ways - that's been a good thing :) )

barad_dur
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#17 Post by barad_dur »

I will miss having the actual physical magazine but will continue to support AFM.

David and Terry deserve huge accolades for their significant time, effort, work and contributions to this hobby.

Just hope we don’t need a Facebook account to access their digital platform....

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#18 Post by Tim Fortuna »

I just read Sergio Aragonés last issue with MAD Magazine and I truly feel empty.
The times they are a changin', and all I can do is roll with it.
I will definitely be renewing my subscription to AFM. Digital is fine by me.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#19 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Yeah, facebook is many headed Hydra who's brave enough to slay the beast...
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

R.T 2021

DEADMAN
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#20 Post by DEADMAN »

I always hoped they would do instructional videos like Stan Winston school . I would pay to see see Fisher and Co. do online tutorial videos on painting , sculpting , Kit bashing Etc. I wish them well.
Eric Tengren