What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Question on Aurora models

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

overspray
Jack of all Trades

Question on Aurora models

#1 Post by overspray »

I know the original monster kits had copyright dates on the reverse of the base bottom from the 1960's. My question is: did they always change these dates when they were re-released over time or did they continue to show the original copyright date?

Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

Re: Question on Aurora models

#2 Post by Aurora 484 »

overspray wrote:I know the original monster kits had copyright dates on the reverse of the base bottom from the 1960's. My question is: did they always change these dates when they were re-released over time or did they continue to show the original copyright date?

They did NOT change the original copyright date..

Tim Casey
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#3 Post by Tim Casey »

Hate to contradict a fellow modeler, but I have all thirteen kits.

"The Hunchback" is my original from 1964 and has that dated stamped on the bottom in fairly large, easy-to-read letters (the kit somehow survived all my boyhood firecrackers).

The rest are reissues from the 90s onwards, and they all have new copyright dates on them in very small letters. The old, larger copyright notices from the 60s are gone.

So if yours say anywhere from 1961 to 1966, it's an original.

Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

#4 Post by Aurora 484 »

Tim Casey wrote:Hate to contradict a fellow modeler, but I have all thirteen kits.

"The Hunchback" is my original from 1964 and has that dated stamped on the bottom in fairly large, easy-to-read letters (the kit somehow survived all my boyhood firecrackers).

The rest are reissues from the 90s onwards, and they all have new copyright dates on them in very small letters. The old, larger copyright notices from the 60s are gone.

So if yours say anywhere from 1961 to 1966, it's an original.
There's not necessarily a contradiction here - it all depends upon how you interpret the OP's question.

I took the question regarding "Aurora Models" to mean "AURORA Models". i.e. those issues coming only from the Aurora company proper. That would end things in 1972. If the OP meant anything to present well then yes, dates and verbage were changed.

As far as original issue "monster" kits (1961-1966) go, I'm counting 25 and not 13 but that too might be a matter of interpretation. Aurora Monster kits with bases - again open to interpretation but I count 16.
Last edited by Aurora 484 on April 30th, 2023, 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#5 Post by tay666 »

To sum it up. :)
Aurora did not change the copyright info on the tooling when going back for multiple runs or version.
Other companies usually changed the copyright and company info when they took possession of the tooling and put it into production to reflect the new ownership.
I say usually, because it didn't always happen. If I remember correctly the Cinemodels kits still had the Aurora info on them.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

overspray
Jack of all Trades

#6 Post by overspray »

Thanks everyone, good information all around. I should have been a little more explicit. I was really trying to figure out was how can you tell if the kit is an original or a re-release.

Tim Casey
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#7 Post by Tim Casey »

Aurora 484 wrote:
As far as original issue "monster" kits (1961-1966) go, I'm counting 23 and not 13 but that too might be a matter of interpretation. Aurora Monster kits with bases - again open to interpretation but I count 16.
You've piqued my interest! My list of the thirteen are:

1) Frankenstein
2) Dracula
3) Wolfman
4) The Mummy
5) The Creature
6) The Phantom Of The Opera
7) The Hunchback Of Notre Dame
8 ) King Kong
9) Godzilla
10) The Bride Of Frankenstein
11) Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
12) The Witch
13) The Forgotten Prisoner

What are the others? I may be just thinking of the thirteen that were available when I was a kid in the mid-sixties. By 1970, girls had filled my brain instead... 8)

Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

#8 Post by Aurora 484 »

I just edited my "23" above to "25" - that's what I get trying to do it from memory. lol

The additional 3 that I have are the Guillotine; the Room; and the House. As I said, it all depends upon how you interpret things but then again, Aurora did have the Guillotine and the House in the "Monsters" section of their catalogues.

Tim Casey
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#9 Post by Tim Casey »

The Room and The House? I don't think I ever heard of them.

But the Guillotine - yep, I had that one. In fact, I'm starting to work on the new repop of it now. It comes with a great background!

And, on second thought, you mean The Munsters' Living Room and the Addams Family House. Yep, had them, too - and their repops.

And then there's the monster go-carts. They had lost my attention by then.

Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

#10 Post by Aurora 484 »

Tim Casey wrote:The Room and The House? I don't think I ever heard of them.

But the Guillotine - yep, I had that one. In fact, I'm starting to work on the new repop of it now. It comes with a great background!

And, on second thought, you mean The Munsters' Living Room and the Addams Family House. Yep, had them, too - and their repops.

And then there's the monster go-carts. They had lost my attention by then.
Just so that I'm clear - Original "Monster" kits with bases - 16. Original "Monsters" - 25. Original in this case being 1961-1966. Again, opinions may vary but either way you probably have a good argument.

Tim Casey
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#11 Post by Tim Casey »

Aurora 484 wrote: Again, opinions may vary but either way you probably have a good argument.
Yeah, but I hate arguing. I'd rather build a model! 8)

Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

#12 Post by Aurora 484 »

:like

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#13 Post by tay666 »

Tim Casey wrote:
Yeah, but I hate arguing. I'd rather build a model! 8)
Exactly!
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths