POTC Kits....

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: POTC Kits....

#21 Post by scuzzfink85 »

laughing.. greed gets screwed again...
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021
tay666
Site Admin

#22 Post by tay666 »

I didn't ask when, but they were at WF with the Hex box on display and I confirmed that yes, they are doing another run of the kit.
Sorry the pic is so blurry.

Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths
Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

#23 Post by Aurora 484 »

tay666 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 9:45 pm I didn't ask when, but they were at WF with the Hex box on display and I confirmed that yes, they are doing another run of the kit.
Sorry the pic is so blurry.

Thanks for the info and posting the pic. Hopefully, it'll be out in the next few months.
Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

#24 Post by Aurora 484 »

scuzzfink85 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 6:31 pm laughing.. greed gets screwed again...
I wouldn't call it greed. I'd call it a capitalist venture with buyers determining the FMV. A capitalist venture that will be ending, hopefully, sooner than later.

I think that it's incumbent upon all manufacturers to keep an eye on the secondary market after they discontinue a kit. If there are constant sales of said kit on the secondary market then that should tell them that it may be time to bring the kit back into production.

In the case of Hex, it's the best kit in the series so I'm not surprised at its popularity on the secondary market after its production halt. Round2 should have been on the ball and reissued it years ago or not discontinued it at all.
Glusniffer
Knight of the Round Bench

#25 Post by Glusniffer »

Cool! This was probably the coolest of the 7 and I'm happy to say I have them all! Only 1 left to post when I finish it. I mentioned in one of my threads that ALL of these kits are combos of each other but they each have individual bases! That's the gist! :argh:
Jeff doesn't follow directions.
Jeff doesn't pay attention.
Jeff doesn't use time wisely,
Jeff doesn't play well with others......
tay666
Site Admin

#26 Post by tay666 »

Aurora 484 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 11:35 pm In the case of Hex, it's the best kit in the series so I'm not surprised at its popularity on the secondary market after its production halt. Round2 should have been on the ball and reissued it years ago or not discontinued it at all.
I am pretty sure the way it works is that R2 orders X amount from the factory, gets the entire production run shipped to them, then feeds that to the distributors as they order it. So, once the run is gone, it's gone. It isn't worth having another 5 or 10 thousand produced until they are confident they can move that much in a timely manner.
Since Hex was the first kit released for this line of reissues, it was the first to sell out. And they were still working on releasing the rest of the series. Not sure going back for another run on something that already got released would have been smart while still bringing others to market. They didn't want to flood the buying pool with too many options and possibly cannibalize sales of the other kits.
No insider knowledge, just an educated guess from the way they staggered the release of the kits.
Trevor Ylisaari

Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

#27 Post by Aurora 484 »

That's possible, but would what you're saying not imply that the demand for Hex dried up after the initial run was distributed?

If distributors were still clamouring for it, it would make sense for R2 to order another x thousand. If they stopped getting Hex made and the demand was still there then what happens is what we saw. Prices on the secondary market start to go up as retail supply dries up.

I'm not convinced that continuing to produce Hex would have sabotaged the sale of the others. They're all separate and distinct kits. Wasn't Hex in stores at the same time as some or all of the others?

Aurora, for example, had all of the mainline monsters on the shelves for years.

If the demand did indeed dry up, I wonder what factors have lead to the decision to it reissue now?
tay666
Site Admin

#28 Post by tay666 »

Hex came out first, in 2017.
The next two in the line didn't come out until 2018
The next two in 2019
And the last two in 2021

Every one of those were selling at discounted prices after the first year of release, including Hex.
It is the usual cycle with styrene kits. The come out. The big fans buy a bunch at retail.
After a while that demand tapers off and the remaining stock drops in price until to lure the not-so-interested, or for the original buyers to snap up multiples for their collection. How cheap they drop depends on how much supply is glutting the market. I remember buying the Monster Scenes reissues for $7 each for a while.
Then the supply starts to dry up and prices start to rise in the secondary market. How high they rise depends on how much supply is around and how much demand there is. Ideally, when the producer sees consistent high demand on the secondary market they will do another run to fill demand.

As far as putting out a bunch of the kits all at once, I think that would indeed hurt overall sales. Pretty sure that is one of the reasons Moebius took such a big hit from the Monster Scenes. Too many kits all at once, and people only have so much discretionary income. So they pick one or two to get and forgo purchasing others until a later date. But by the time they have the money to do that, something else new and shiny has come out and gets that money instead. I don't know if 3 kits hitting the shelves all at once would be too many or not, but there is also the factor that R2 only has enough capital to release so many kits during a year. So they have to balance what seems like it would give them the best return on investment.
Trevor Ylisaari

Glusniffer

#29 Post by Glusniffer »

While were on the subject were the original kits cast in glow-in-the-dark? I don't remember. I don't think they were....... :?
DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#30 Post by DinoMike »

Nope, they were all in regular white styrene.
tay666
Site Admin

#31 Post by tay666 »

Mike is correct. No glow on the originals.

I just wish they would have included the plaque as well.
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#32 Post by Scooke123 »

Yeah the plaque would have been cool to have again
Steve Cooke
Glusniffer

#33 Post by Glusniffer »

And the original box art. Thanx guys. 8)