Vinyl Kit priming

Show off your in-progress builds! This is the place to post questions about building and painting your model kits and to share your latest techniques.

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

weird_oh84

Vinyl Kit priming

#1 Post by weird_oh84 »

Hello everyone!

I’m getting ready to paint my first kit — it’s a Steve Wang Gillman bust from the 90’s and its cast in Vinyl.

Can I use Tamiya Fine Surface Primer to prime it or is there a better primer to use on Vinyl?

Thanks for the help!
bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

Re: Vinyl Kit priming

#2 Post by bucketfoot-al »

I have always used Krylon gray primer on vinyl. Just remember to wash the vinyl with dish soap BEFORE priming to get any of the mold release chemicals left over from the casting process off the vinyl surface. :wink: A VERY important point that I did not know about 20+ years ago when I got back into The Hobby.

Good luck!! :thumb2:
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett
weird_oh84

#3 Post by weird_oh84 »

bucketfoot-al wrote: March 20th, 2024, 1:48 am I have always used Krylon gray primer on vinyl. Just remember to wash the vinyl with dish soap BEFORE priming to get any of the mold release chemicals left over from the casting process off the vinyl surface. :wink: A VERY important point that I did not know about 20+ years ago when I got back into The Hobby.

Good luck!! :thumb2:
Awesome…. Thanks for the reply!
Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#4 Post by Ant »

Do *not* use any enamel based products on vinyl - they will never dry. In general it's best to avoid anything that is not acrylic. If you are not sure, test on a piece of scrap and leave for a few days.

Automotive acrylic primers are great, or failing that purpose-made primers like Stynylrez are fantastic for airbrush priming.
LOBOREX
Duke of Dry Brush

#5 Post by LOBOREX »

I have had really bad luck with vinyl, but rule of thumb is lacquer based primer for vinyl. Always test on a piece of scrap first.
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck
Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#6 Post by Rocketeer »

I've used Tamiya spray primer on vinyl successfully. On vinyl, your color coats have to be acrylic; enamels won't dry at all.
Squidy53
Jack of all Trades

#7 Post by Squidy53 »

Rocketeer wrote: March 20th, 2024, 4:54 pm I've used Tamiya spray primer on vinyl successfully. On vinyl, your color coats have to be acrylic; enamels won't dry at all.
Steve Walsh
tay666
Site Admin

#8 Post by tay666 »

Rocketeer wrote: March 20th, 2024, 4:54 pm I've used Tamiya spray primer on vinyl successfully. On vinyl, your color coats have to be acrylic; enamels won't dry at all.
If you lay down enough acrylic or lacquer to form a barrier first, then enamels will work. But it is better to play it safe.

I always test my primer on the scraps that get cut from the vinyl. It's better to have the primer not cure on those parts, than on the actual kit.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths