Roadhouse (2024) on Prime

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

Roadhouse (2024) on Prime

#1 Post by derekc62 »

Treat yourselves to this one.

Directed by Doug Liman (Mr. and Mrs. Smith, The Bourne Identity) it stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Conor McGregor and is a lot of fun.

Both stars are fantastic in their roles as an "I-don't-want-any-trouble" former MMA fighter and a psycho..
Last edited by derekc62 on April 1st, 2024, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Conlon
Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Re: Roadhouse (2024) on Prime

#2 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Yeah - I loved it. I'll be watching it again very soon.

Got a little silly towards the end when we got a more cartoonish version of the bad guy (and he wasn't exactly "serious" at the beginning!)

Don't understand the hate this one got. I appreciate that the original is considered a classic, but this was a fun reinventing.
  • . . . and DAMN is Jake Gyllenhaal impressive as heck - getting that physique must have been VERY hard work!
Nicely set up for a possible sequel too.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image
bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#3 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: April 1st, 2024, 3:57 am .

Got a little silly towards the end when we got a more cartoonish version of the bad guy (and he wasn't exactly "serious" at the beginning!)

Don't understand the hate this one got. I appreciate that the original is considered a classic, but this was a fun reinventing.
  • . . . and DAMN is Jake Gyllenhaal impressive as heck - getting that physique must have been VERY hard work!
Nicely set up for a possible sequel too. *SNIP*

Spike - I saw "The Critical Drinker's" :alcoholic: review on youtube ... he was not kind to it ... though Connor McGregor's over-the-top bad guy performance got a :thumb2:

Spike ... you're a Scottsman, so you will enjoy "The Critical Drinker's" :alcoholic: reviews ... TRUST me on that ... "he speaks your language"!!! :mrgreen:

2 million subscribers .... this guy is the best reviewer on the planet .... if you can decipher his THICK Scottish accent!!! :alcoholic:

https://www.youtube.com/@TheCriticalDrinker/featured

Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett
derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#4 Post by derekc62 »

The reviewer lost me with his snide characterization of a " strong, diverse, female character..."

Sounds like he reveres the original and can't accept any other take on title.

He clearly doesn't know director Doug Liman's work and his critique of the train wreck not contributing to the advancement of the main character... it's the reason Gyllenhaal's character finally takes the bouncer job because he's now out of options....

Roadhouse is not a perfect film, far from it. It's a popcorn movie and it works on that level.

I stopped listening to reviewers after Siskel and Ebert and even they frequently disagreed...
Derek Conlon
Heavy Metal Spike

#5 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

I occasionally listen to / watch "Critical Drinker", but he's one of the "moany mob" that finds fault with pretty much everything.

As such - I tend to not bother with most of his "reviews", and the ones I DO decide to go for, I never take seriously.

He has a good sense-of-humour, and is quite bright, but his incessant negativity is a turn-off.

And Vlad - if you you think THAT is a THICK Scottish accent my friend - I need to take you on a trip to MY "old country" :lol:

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#6 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 4:20 am .

I occasionally listen to / watch "Critical Drinker", but he's one of the "moany mob" that finds fault with pretty much everything.

As such - I tend to not bother with most of his "reviews", and the ones I DO decide to go for, I never take seriously.

He has a good sense-of-humour, and is quite bright, but his incessant negativity is a turn-off.

And Vlad - if you you think THAT is a THICK Scottish accent my friend - I need to take you on a trip to MY "old country" :lol:
:rolf: Point taken Spike! :D

Back on topic - I experience his 'negativity' (as you call it) as 'spot on' social commentary that I agree with, and his humor - and clever - and insightful - skewering of modern Hollyweird - as quite entertaining! :alcoholic:

An added plus is that by occasionally watching him I sort of get what is out there in the theaters that I will never otherwise see (because I don't watch movies other than the occasional gem like Oppenheimer and G-1). BTW, I only found him when watching G-1 reviews and was instantly entertained by his take on it.

On a more serious note, his diagnoses of why and how movies have fallen - and prescriptions for fixing them (Ever see his "The Drinker Fixes" series?) to be quite thoughtful and clever. Dude is a writer as well. I guess what I am trying to say is that he is not a "lightweight". Heck as an example, the guys in "Triggernometry", have even had him as a guest a couple of times. 😂

Most of all, The Drinker is just a good entertainer with an attitude I can appreciate ... and ... 'that's all I've got today ... Go Away Now!' :alcoholic: :2guns: :rolf: :rolf:
Last edited by bucketfoot-al on April 2nd, 2024, 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett
bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#7 Post by bucketfoot-al »

derekc62 wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 3:49 am The reviewer lost me with his snide characterization of a " strong, diverse, female character..."

Sounds like he reveres the original and can't accept any other take on title.

He clearly doesn't know director Doug Liman's work and his critique of the train wreck not contributing to the advancement of the main character... it's the reason Gyllenhaal's character finally takes the bouncer job because he's now out of options....

Roadhouse is not a perfect film, far from it. It's a popcorn movie and it works on that level.

I stopped listening to reviewers after Siskel and Ebert and even they frequently disagreed...
You might have missed the point - I'd peruse a few more of his reviews before writing him off.

You should be watching his reviews with an eye for the "Entertainment Factor" as much as the movie stuff.

And for the occasional gem of insight into what makes a great movie plot and where movies go right/wrong ... delivered with his Scottish manly attitude :wink:

Put another way, this is a guy I could hang and shoot the breeze with for hours without getting bored ... maybe our temperaments match ... :alcoholic: :lol2: :pimp: :rollin:
Last edited by bucketfoot-al on April 2nd, 2024, 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett
bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#8 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 4:20 am .

*SNIP*

Hey Spike - I meant to ask: do you go back to Scotland often to see the family/friends? 🤠🥰
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett
Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#9 Post by Tim Fortuna »

bucketfoot-al wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 6:29 pm Hey Spike - I meant to ask: do you go back to Scotland often to see the family/friends? 🤠🥰
He was exiled. For reasons he'd rather not go into.

“If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?”
Heavy Metal Spike

#10 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

My name is "Spike", of the clan Campbell.

I am 506 years old, and my hair can never be dyed.

How many trips can you possibly take back to Scotland? . . .

• . . . there can be only 1.

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#11 Post by bucketfoot-al »

🤔
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett
scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#12 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 4:21 pm .

My name is "Spike", of the clan Campbell.

I am 506 years old, and my hair can never be dyed.

How many trips can you possibly take back to Scotland? . . .

• . . . there can be only 1.
I beat you on that front.. five thousand years old.. have all my hair... I don't do the head hunting thing bores me.. :roll: :twisted:
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021
Heavy Metal Spike

#13 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: April 1st, 2024, 3:57 am .

Nicely set up for a possible sequel too . . .

And here I am - not 2 months on, watching it for the 2nd time.

• An absolute BLAST.

First time round gives you the originality and shock/surprise portion . . . 2nd time round allows you the chance to pick up on subtleties, relevancies, and more of the talent (cinematogrophy, general quality of acting, script decisions etc. etc.)

Took me back to SO many of those classic 80's movies . . . with a bit of extra "something".

One of those movies I will NEVER get bored of =D> =D> =D> :thumb2: