What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Rise of the UKGK Model Expo 2014

UKGK, Memro, IPMS, etc info, news, and questions here!

Moderator: Moderators

KathyD
Jack of all Trades

Re: Rise of the UKGK Model Expo 2014

#21 Post by KathyD »

The show is improving - more kits on show than the last time I visited (The Loft show 2 years ago), better dealer room with more light so a better chance to look at things.

Display room was the most garage kits I've seen in one place in the UK, very cool and some excellent work on show. Got very quiet at times though, guess most people were in the dealer room.

I was disappointed to miss the demos - wasn't aware they were on and if there was anything on the posters on the day I missed them... I know there's been a lot of info on the UKGK FB page, but I didn't join the group and saw little info anywhere else. I think they could get a lot more people though the door if they publicised the show more. I think you had to know someone who's been in the past and knew about it to know it was happening.

I'm sure the show will continue its slow-burn growth... if we all talk about it a bit more beforehand maybe.

boxerdog
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#22 Post by boxerdog »

im surprised to hear it was so quiet at times.its a tough call I suppose,you can have a full venue of dealers but you need the people walking in to buy.maybe they would do better moving more central like Birmingham and letting in even more dealers.promotion is important but its a small hobby base for these type of models.

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#23 Post by Ant »

Had a great time at the show, and concur with what Kathy said. If I could sum up improvements for next year in 3 words it would be publicity publicity publicity. I spoke to a few people in the run up and there was quite a bit of "really not sure if I can be arsed" which is a real shame because there was some great stuff there!

It was great to meet some old faces, and some new ones too - in no particular order

Stuart (good30) - nice to meet you finally and see some of your great work - congrats on the win!
Scott (ambis) had an incredibly large selection of his stuff he'd hauled all the way up from the west country - in the most regimented packing system I've seen!
Dean (Neo-uk) - always a pleasure, congrats on the Nostromo win!
mack20 - sorry never even caught your real name - with his pet stegosaur and also award winning G vs mecha G dio!
Steve Howarth - model shop supervisor for Moon who was there with a studio scale Sarang Lunar Rover and a build-up of his new Gerty hit (that I just happened to get for my birthday 2 weeks ago)
Paul Fay - nice to finally meet after so many years in the hobby. I picked up one of his great Walter White busts
Everyone who stopped by our table & was very complimentary
And finally Sean Green for his great tips and extremely encouraging and motivational feedback on my humble sculpt in progress...

Location was good - despite being quite a long way "oop north" for us, it was easy to get to and the hotel was great overnight value. There was a small hiccup with a lot of the tables being semicircular rather than rectangular, but we worked around that somewhat creatively :) The show rooms were very well lit, spacious and had decent air con which was really nice on such an unseasonally warm day!

Managed to get away with just one other purchase - an MPC Maximilian from Black Hole for a very good price from Chris over in SFM:UK - cheers!

leebea72
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#24 Post by leebea72 »

Really enjoyed the show :) Was my first time to display my stuff and thanks to all who stopped by to check them out. Looking forward to the next one.

KathyD
Jack of all Trades

#25 Post by KathyD »

boxerdog wrote:im surprised to hear it was so quiet at times
Dealer room may have been busier, I can only speak for the display room where we were set-up. I suspect some people didn't know we were there, at least one person from the dealer room came in as we were packing up at the end of the show and said he didn't know anyone was there...

Cous3
Clubhouse Alumni
Bishop of Build Ups

#26 Post by Cous3 »

[boxerdog wrote:
im surprised to hear it was so quiet at times

Dealer room may have been busier, I can only speak for the display room where we were set-up. I suspect some people didn't know we were there, at least one person from the dealer room came in as we were packing up at the end of the show and said he didn't know anyone was there.../quote]

One corridor, 3 rooms with open doors.........don't know how anyone could not think to look in all of them especially as they were only yards apart, or as in the dealer room and display room actually opposite each other? As far as I could make out, and I was on the move quite a bit, people were flitting between rooms. Not sure I understand the "can't be arsed" attitude, it's a free show, no entry fee, no parking fee, all you have to do is turn up and enjoy mixing with like minded people?

We had flyers given out at the usual pre shows that others attended but these things take time to grow and I'm pretty sure that's what will happen year on year.

Personally I had a great show as did many others. I enjoyed the social side meeting people I only manage to see once a year, having a beer, meal, laugh with then all. I enjoyed walking around the show chatting to people at their tables, seeing what they had or what they were working on. The only thing I didn't like was that my friend Mark McGowan wasn't there in person to talk with, laugh with, and generally take the pi55 with.

So as its not been mentioned here yet I want to say a big thanks to Dave and Rachel for sorting this one out for us all, I know it gets a bit stressful at times. Also thanks to all the dealers and display guys, the sculptors and even the cake ladies....... You all helped to make it a real fun show which I for one look forwards to emensly next year.

Keith
"There are no 5 minute jobs"........my Dad.

grymm-one
Earl of Epoxy

#27 Post by grymm-one »

We (the lads from the proper up North!) had an excellent time. loved the venue/rooms and demos. All spent up but came away happy. Roll on 2015 :reddance: :cloud9: