"Robotech - The Shadow Chronicles"

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

"Robotech - The Shadow Chronicles"

#1 Post by AntMan »

Last week I revisited an Anime movie I had originally viewed years and years ago.

It is titled: "Robotech - The Shadow Chronicles", and although it was originally released back in 2006, it continues
to stand up to the test of time.

You can read the associated review which I've written and posted by going here:
https://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com/Ro ... eview.html

Happy Reading!
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com
bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

Re: "Robotech - The Shadow Chronicles"

#2 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Great review! I'll be looking for this movie, as well as the original which I don't believe I've ever seen. Used to watch a whole lot of anime back in the day, if I had to pull a couple of names out of the hat, my favorites would be the Ghost in the Shell series, as well as Appleseed. 🤠
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett
AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#3 Post by AntMan »

Hey Bucketfoot-Al,

Thanks! I absolutely loved the original Robotech series. I created a VHS video catalogue of all of the episodes, diligently taping them, along with making sure I didn't
miss an episode which was being broadcast on TV.

Then later, I latched onto and read all of the associated "Robotech Sentinels" novels which were written, focusing on the Expeditionary trip Admiral Rick
Hunter and company made, (while the Earth continued to be attacked by first the Robotech Masters, and then later the Invid).

The Shadow Chronicles was a very enjoyable addition to the Robotech story. (I just wished they had done more episodes, continuing the tangent they had
created).

I also agree with you, about Ghost in the Shell series, as well as Appleseed.

Several additional "Old-school" Animes I'd highly recommend to you are "Read or Die", "Iria: Zeriam, the Animation" along with "Steamboy".
....Oh, I almost forgot, (one of the best) - "Cowboy Bebop".
-Tony

speed-1
Finger Painter

#4 Post by speed-1 »

I never checked out Shadow Chronicles. As a kid I liked The Sentinels. I probably still have it on VHS somewhere. I know I have the vinyl record soundtrack.

I too read the paperback novels. I might still have those boxed away. All of them from the Macross Saga to the end of the Sentinels. And the comics. But I think once I realized that Robotech was a combination of unrelated Japanese shows. I kind of got the feeling that they got lucky with it being as good as it was. And still is to me. Yet the kid in me back then could tell that something was different with animation in The Sentinels.

If you guys want to see old anime that's still really cool check out Megazone 23. They turned it into Robotech the Movie. Which I haven't seen. But those 3 Megazone 23 episodes were ahead of their time. Some of the people that worked on the original animations that turned into Robotech also worked on Megazone 23.
AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#5 Post by AntMan »

speed-1 wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 10:02 am I never checked out Shadow Chronicles. As a kid I liked The Sentinels. I probably still have it on VHS somewhere. I know I have the vinyl record soundtrack.

I too read the paperback novels. I might still have those boxed away. All of them from the Macross Saga to the end of the Sentinels. And the comics. But I think once I realized that Robotech was a combination of unrelated Japanese shows. I kind of got the feeling that they got lucky with it being as good as it was. And still is to me. Yet the kid in me back then could tell that something was different with animation in The Sentinels.

If you guys want to see old anime that's still really cool check out Megazone 23. They turned it into Robotech the Movie. Which I haven't seen. But those 3 Megazone 23 episodes were ahead of their time. Some of the people that worked on the original animations that turned into Robotech also worked on Megazone 23.
Thanks for chiming in. I too, was a Robotic-fanatic, geeking out over all three story-lines, (although I thought that the middle one, with Dana Sterling was the most um-appealing. Still, who can't go crazy about humans fighting invading aliens using GIANT robot suits, (along with smaller ones), some of which convert to boot.

I think I mentioned it, but I was particularly impressed with the very well drawn animation, along with it's style.

I never say Megazone 23, although i thing I do remember hearing something about it.

Which "Robotech the Movie" are you referring to?
-Tony

speed-1
Finger Painter

#6 Post by speed-1 »

AntMan wrote: December 8th, 2023, 11:21 am
speed-1 wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 10:02 am I never checked out Shadow Chronicles. As a kid I liked The Sentinels. I probably still have it on VHS somewhere. I know I have the vinyl record soundtrack.

Thanks for chiming in. I too, was a Robotic-fanatic, geeking out over all three story-lines, (although I thought that the middle one, with Dana Sterling was the most um-appealing. Still, who can't go crazy about humans fighting invading aliens using GIANT robot suits, (along with smaller ones), some of which convert to boot.

I think I mentioned it, but I was particularly impressed with the very well drawn animation, along with it's style.

I never say Megazone 23, although i thing I do remember hearing something about it.

Which "Robotech the Movie" are you referring to?
Sorry for the late reply. I'll try to check in more often.

Here is the wiki on Robotech the Movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech:_The_Movie

I would watch the 3 Megazone 23 Parts first though. Even if they managed to make Robotech the Movie good, Megazone 23 is just something different that really shouldn't be similar to Robotech besides the transforming robots and girl singers. They have Megazone 23 on Archive.org to check out. It's really worth watching and will surprise you. Don't spoil it though.

With Robotech, I tend to like Southern Cross and New Generation more than the Macross Saga. Just because the final two parts are less with the love triangle. And more fun even though they all take place in war times. Southern Cross and New Generation also have more of an adventure feel with the characters riding around on hovercycles and Cyclone bikes.