Chaney - Laugh Clown Laugh bust

A place to show off your finished garage kits that don't fit in the other forums.

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

Re: Chaney - Laugh Clown Laugh bust

#21 Post by bucketfoot-al »

One quick comment about painting the ruff by hand and then painstakingly redoing the detailing over and over to get the line straight.

Its gratifying to hear that even the masters of the craft sometimes have to resort to what I have always thought of as my method for salvaging the details of my middling paint ups. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett​
derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#22 Post by derekc62 »

bucketfoot-al wrote: ↑April 29th, 2024, 3:31 pm One quick comment about painting the ruff by hand and then painstakingly redoing the detailing over and over to get the line straight.

Its gratifying to hear that even the masters of the craft sometimes have to resort to what I have always thought of as my method for salvaging the details of my middling paint ups. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜
"Mistake" is my first and middle name :)

The secret is sealing after each layer, a lesson I still occasionally have to keep learning the hard way...
Derek Conlon
bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#23 Post by bucketfoot-al »

derekc62 wrote: ↑April 29th, 2024, 6:52 pm
bucketfoot-al wrote: ↑April 29th, 2024, 3:31 pm One quick comment about painting the ruff by hand and then painstakingly redoing the detailing over and over to get the line straight.

"Mistake" is my first and middle name :)

The secret is sealing after each layer, a lesson I still occasionally have to keep learning the hard way...
:bshock: :bshock: :bshock:

Of course! That way you don't have to worry about the wrong color seeping through the newer brush strokes - RIGHT? (Because - this is the first I've heard of the "sealing between strokes" method - and it instantly made sense to me!!! :rolf: (I DID mention I am a 'late-bloomer', did I not? :alcoholic: )
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett​
tay666
Site Admin

#24 Post by tay666 »

Not strokes, but sealing between coats.
You get things where you like them and gonna call it a day. Give it a coat of sealer. So when you get back to it, if you screw something up, you can kind of errase it by rubbing with a damp brush. With the sealer, you run less risk of wiping away the coat below it. You can still mess it up if you fuss with it too much, or scrub too hard.
But yeah, sealing your progress at certain steps can certainly help. I always seal eyes when they are blocked in with the off-white. Let that set up before I do my iris placement. That always ends up taking a few tries to match the size and direction. Once I am happy with that, I will seal again and give it a couple days to cure before I do color and pupil placement. Seal again then detail.
Nothing worse than making one bad brush stroke and damaging something while trying to remove it.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths
bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#25 Post by bucketfoot-al »

tay666 wrote: ↑April 29th, 2024, 11:08 pm Not strokes, but sealing between coats.
You get things where you like them and gonna call it a day. Give it a coat of sealer. So when you get back to it, if you screw something up, you can kind of errase it by rubbing with a damp brush. With the sealer, you run less risk of wiping away the coat below it. You can still mess it up if you fuss with it too much, or scrub too hard.
But yeah, sealing your progress at certain steps can certainly help. I always seal eyes when they are blocked in with the off-white. Let that set up before I do my iris placement. That always ends up taking a few tries to match the size and direction. Once I am happy with that, I will seal again and give it a couple days to cure before I do color and pupil placement. Seal again then detail.
Nothing worse than making one bad brush stroke and damaging something while trying to remove it.

:like Excellent Tips!!!!
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett​