What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

So, what cool styrene have you scored lately?

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

Re: So, what cool styrene have you scored lately?

#121 Post by tay666 »

Scored me a Doctor Deadly's Daughter this weekend!
For those that don't know, that is the Canadian version of the Monster Scenes Victim. They renamed it. So that version is quite a bit rarer. Got one unstarted in a nice box and with Canadian instructions for just over $50.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Zombie_61
Earl of Epoxy

#122 Post by Zombie_61 »

I recently got two of Atlantis' Earth vs. the Flying Saucers kits. My opinion might be a little biased because I'm a fan of the movie and have been wanting a kit like this for a long time, but Atlantis has produced a very nice little kit here, one that almost immediately became one of my all-time favorites. The advertised 5" diameter is rounded up - the diameter of the actual kit is 1/16" under 5", but that minor difference shouldn't be a problem since there is no scale listed for this kit (you'll have to figure that out for yourself). The kit consists of four pieces molded in white styrene: the upper hull, the lower hull, the lower access cylinder (when the ship has landed), and the "parabolic dish death ray" emitter. It also includes a one-piece cardboard base/backdrop, a white plastic "tripod" to display the kit in flight mode (this is actually one of those things they put in your pizza box to keep the lid from sticking to the cheese), and a small LED unit. The "pizza box tripod" is a little on the cheap side, but for a kit you can get for under $20 these days you really can't complain too much.

Assembly is very simple and takes less than a minute. The upper and lower hull halves are designed to "twist" together so that you can access the internal LED unit to turn it on and off, but it's designed well so that the seam between the two parts isn't visible when they're assembled. You then choose between the "access cylinder" or the "death ray", snap/glue that in place, and you're done. Of course, everyone here will probably want to paint the kit, so you should know there are two tiny "sink holes" on the angled surface on the upper hull closest to the outer diameter, and a ring-shaped sink hole on the upper dome (where the cylinder that holds the LED unit is attached on the inside of the part), that will require a small amount of putty and sanding. Also, if you choose to build the in-flight mode without the "death ray" you'll have a tiny hole to fill in the center of the lower hull piece. On the kits I received the outermost edge of the upper hull part is a little rough and will also require a small amount of sanding, but there is otherwise no clean-up to speak of. It's basically a fun, inexpensive little kit that requires very little effort or time to finish (except for the time it takes for the paint to dry), and provides a nice diversion from those pain-in-the-ass kits that you lose sleep over.
The older I get, the better it was.

Ken Kwil
Jack of all Trades

#123 Post by Ken Kwil »

My newest kit that I bought is the AMT Piranha Super Spy Car. It's the re-issue of the Man From UNCLE car. Same model kit just different box. Actually a better box. I like how they packaged the parts separately. Make sure you check under the cardboard separator. You will find a nice poster of the Piranha under it. Included is a extra set of windows, clear and smoked. All the weapons and devices are there. Some of the stuff I don't remember from the TV show ever being used. Did they ever use the propellers? I didn't know the car went into water. (???). Even though they barely mention UNCLE in the kit, they do supply a Man From UNCLE license plate with the model in with the chrome parts. I really think they did a nice job on this kit re-issue. I really like it. I hope they do more of these.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#124 Post by tay666 »

Stumbled across this thread and it made me kind of sad.
It's been a long time since I've scored any cool styrene. :(

Sure, I've gotten a few kits since March, but they were all duplicates.
More Ghosts, more prehistoric scenes, more monster scenes, but that is about it.
Trevor Ylisaari

whiteraven97
Seam Filler

#125 Post by whiteraven97 »

I recently won a contest on Michigan Toy Soldier's site, and was rewarded with a $50 credit. I bought Pegasus' Vermithrax dragon kit with $4 of my own money; the credit covered the rest. As much as I wanted it up to that point, money's had been kind of tight, so this was great.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#126 Post by tay666 »

That is a great kit.
I was lucky enough to grab one for a great price at WF the year it was released.
Trevor Ylisaari

jgoldader
Finger Painter

#127 Post by jgoldader »

Ordered the Moebius Dracula with Victim and Bride + Monster kits after seeing somewhere they might be OOP. Didn't want to miss those, or pay $100+ on evilBay one day. Waiting for the new Death Dealer from Moebius and Headless Horseman repop from R2, lots to look forward to next year!

I'm trying to decide if I want to sacrifice my Dracula (no victim) kit to put the Count in a coffin, sort of like the Moebius Mummy in his sarcophagus. It would take a lot of Aves but would be a fun project.
"You're gonna need a bigger display case."

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#128 Post by tay666 »

I don't have it yet, but this weekend I paid for my Monarch Gift-pack sets!
http://theclubhouse1.net/phpBB3/viewtop ... 1&t=112087
Trevor Ylisaari

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#129 Post by tay666 »

jgoldader wrote:Waiting for the new Death Dealer from Moebius and Headless Horseman repop from R2, lots to look forward to next year!
Yeah, I want to get a second Headless Horseman too.
And I am very interested in the Death Dealer. But since we haven't seen anything about it yet, I figure it won't be out until late next year.
Which is fine by me. There are lots of other things chewing holes in my wallet on the horizon.
Like the dungeon and animal pit from Dencomm.
Trevor Ylisaari

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#130 Post by kevtk135 »

My latest styrene is the Pegasus Luna rocket, and the Mobius Johnny Quest plane. Slightly older is the Monster scenes saber Tooth Rabbit.
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

spock
Site Admin
Bishop of Build Ups

#131 Post by spock »

jgoldader wrote:I'm trying to decide if I want to sacrifice my Dracula (no victim) kit to put the Count in a coffin, sort of like the Moebius Mummy in his sarcophagus. It would take a lot of Aves but would be a fun project.
Hmmmm ! Very interesting ! :-k
The Clubhouse Model Gallery
When I was a kid I wanted to be older...this is NOT what I had in mind!

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#132 Post by Scooke123 »

I just got my Monarch Gift set "Drac & Dr. J" got 2 of them. Hoping to be able to afford a couple more but these are pretty cool.
Steve Cooke

Zombie_61
Earl of Epoxy

#133 Post by Zombie_61 »

Over the last couple of months I've picked up some of Bandai's new Star Wars kits--1/48 AT-ST, 1/12 C-3PO, 1/12 R2-D2/R5D4 combo, 1/12 Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike, 1/12 Boba Fett, and 1/144 Millennium Falcon from the upcoming The Force Awakens. Not surprisingly, Fine Molds' 1/144 Falcon is slightly smaller than Bandai's 1/144 Falcon; further evidence that Fine Molds screwed the pooch on the stated scales of their Star Wars kits. But it's nice to finally have R2 and 3PO in the same scale in styrene. :mrgreen:

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#134 Post by tay666 »

Scooke123 wrote:I just got my Monarch Gift set "Drac & Dr. J" got 2 of them. Hoping to be able to afford a couple more but these are pretty cool.
Yep, my 4 came in earlier this week.
Originally I was only planning on getting 3 sets. But with the shipping deal discounted in units of two, I bumped it up to 4.
Trevor Ylisaari

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#135 Post by Rocketeer »

I got a Superior Plastics kit of the Taj Mahal.

Rob P.
Seam Filler

#136 Post by Rob P. »

Got two Monsters of the Movies Creature from the Black Lagoon, a Gruesome Goodies and a Dr. Deadly and some stuff from Tom Parker. But I can't talk about it, because they are Christmas presents for Wyatt and myself. The wife says to forget them until then!

Zombie_61
Earl of Epoxy

#137 Post by Zombie_61 »

Rocketeer wrote:I got a Superior Plastics kit of the Taj Mahal.
That seems to be an unusual subject for a styrene kit, but a great find if you're interested in it. I wonder if it sold well enough for Superior Plastics to recover their production costs.

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#138 Post by Rocketeer »

Zombie_61 wrote:
Rocketeer wrote:I got a Superior Plastics kit of the Taj Mahal.
That seems to be an unusual subject for a styrene kit, but a great find if you're interested in it. I wonder if it sold well enough for Superior Plastics to recover their production costs.
I have no idea. But the old Statue of Liberty kit, which I believe dates from the same time, has been reissued numerous times; I'm sure it's paid for itself by now. The Taj Mahal, ehhhh, probably not.

The kit actually has provisions for lighting! They recommend using a lamp socket with a very small bulb, lest you accidentally melt it. (!!!!)

A friend took a couple pics of the kit at the last IPMS meeting, so, thanks to him, I can show you what it looks like. Great box art!

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#139 Post by tay666 »

That is a cool piece.
And I bet it has paid for itself over the years. Pretty sure that came out back when kits were much more popular. And lots of structures were available everywhere for the RR crowd.
Trevor Ylisaari

Ken Kwil
Jack of all Trades

#140 Post by Ken Kwil »

The Superior Plastics Co. use to be near my home. I have a model of the Deep Sea Lobster by them. Some day I plan to build it.