What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Question about Revell, Zvezda, pirate ship kits.

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

Question about Revell, Zvezda, pirate ship kits.

#1 Post by Otto69 »

I'm trying to figure out how many unique versions of pirate ships have been released over the years, so I can figure out if I need to buy more. Your help is appreciated...

Starting Note: I'm only talking about a) Pirates of the Carribean related kits, and b) Revell kits between the 1960's and now, NOT including kits that are supposed to be versions of real life pirate ships.

So I'll start the ball rolling with:

- 1969 Revell "Walt Disney's Peter Pan Pirate Ship." This is supposed to be a version of the 'ship' that floated in the Fantasyland lagoon, and the box art is said ship. I'm pretty sure this was later released as an unlicensed (non Disney) pirate ship but I don't know what that was called or how it may have differed from this kit, which is molded in wonderful bright orange plastic. No scale, hull is about 8" long. No sails.

- 1978 "Quick Build Pirate Ghost Ship". This appears to possibly be a repop/rename of an earlier kit. The reason I think that is this "quick build" kit includes a bag of thread for the rigging, each little cannon is 3 parts, and lots of blocks and tackles are included to fully rig the kit. I haven't read the instructions, but I'm guessing you can choose to build it with fewer parts or the enclosed plastic rigging. Hull is about 11" long. Vacu formed sails.

- recent (2010+) Zvezda Russian manufacture 1/72 Black Pearl kit. Big kit with Black-Pearl specific parts, was not (initially at least) released in the US due to licensing issues since it IS an accurate replica of the movie version Black Pearl. https://tinyurl.com/ZvezdaBlackPearl

- more recent: Revell limited release Black Pearl Salazar's Revenge, https://tinyurl.com/salazarsrevenge Is this the same was the older Zvezda kit, or are there different versions of the ship in the different movies?
Keep America Strong, Watch More Horror Movies!

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Question about Revell, Zvezda, pirate ship kits.

#2 Post by Buc Wheat »

show 3 on my POTC page http://www.bucwheat.com/sl/potc/potc.html

the 1:150 looks like the newest.

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#3 Post by Otto69 »

Buc Wheat wrote:show 3 on my POTC page http://www.bucwheat.com/sl/potc/potc.html

the 1:150 looks like the newest.
Thanks Buc.

harpooner54
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#4 Post by harpooner54 »

The 1969 Revell "Disney" ship that you mentioned, was actually 1st released in the late 1950s & was most recently produced
in the 2000s as a Caribbean Pirate ship. This link shows some of the history of the kit, but some box art is missing & some
of the information is incomplete. The kit does include one unfurled sail, while the others are rolled up.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/pro ... p=timeline

If you do a google search for "Revell Peter Pan Pirate Ship", you can find even more information.

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#5 Post by Otto69 »

harpooner54 wrote:The 1969 Revell "Disney" ship that you mentioned, was actually 1st released in the late 1950s & was most recently produced
in the 2000s as a Caribbean Pirate ship. This link shows some of the history of the kit, but some box art is missing & some
of the information is incomplete. The kit does include one unfurled sail, while the others are rolled up.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/pro ... p=timeline

If you do a google search for "Revell Peter Pan Pirate Ship", you can find even more information.
That page was perfect, and answered my questions, thanks!

The kit I have is box dated 1969 and features a photo of the actual ship in Disneyland, and is Disney branded, but is not shown on that page.

The confusion I had was the multiple different versions of the pirate ghost ship. There are at least two in two different scales, but one of them is clearly just the Peter Pan ship with glow paint. The smaller of the two is the Peter Pan ship, and the larger of the two has a different origin.

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#6 Post by Otto69 »

Rather than just hand wave, I took some photos of the two kits I have in case anyone's interested.

The small, probably about 1/72, Peter Pan box. 1969

The larger, perhaps 1/150 "ghost ship", 1978.

Size comparison of the two hulls:

And just for the heck of it, a shot of the hull of the 1978 ghost ship with the included vacu form sails:

harpooner54
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#7 Post by harpooner54 »

Otto69- Thanks for posting the photos- looks like the Disney box is in pretty good shape.

The model is indicated as being 1/72 scale & I don't know how they came up with that, because
if you put a 1/72 figure next to the ship, it is way too tall. It appears to me to be more like
1/100 scale.

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#8 Post by Rocketeer »

harpooner54 wrote:Otto69- Thanks for posting the photos- looks like the Disney box is in pretty good shape.

The model is indicated as being 1/72 scale & I don't know how they came up with that, because
if you put a 1/72 figure next to the ship, it is way too tall. It appears to me to be more like
1/100 scale.
If the Peter Pan ship is a model of the one at Disneyland, 1/72 might very well be correct; I recall that the actual ship was quite small, maybe even less than 1/1 scale.

Edit: Wait, I take that back; the ship was larger than I remember it: https://www.yesterland.com/pirateship.html

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#9 Post by Otto69 »

Rocketeer wrote:
harpooner54 wrote:Otto69- Thanks for posting the photos- looks like the Disney box is in pretty good shape.

1/100 scale.
If the Peter Pan ship is a model of the one at Disneyland, 1/72 might very well be correct; I recall that the actual ship was quite small, maybe even less than 1/1 scale.
Oh it was very small. Sort of like a Super Deformed pirate ship. I found this short clip of it starting at 2:22, but somewhere there's a much better studio quality video of the opening of the attraction, complete with fake pirates and damsels in distress.

harpooner54
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#10 Post by harpooner54 »

Just for reference, here is a photo showing the ship with 3 figures (from large to small), 1/72, 1/87 & 1/100.