What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

WIP Moebius Frankenstein

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

llricmc
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

WIP Moebius Frankenstein

#1 Post by llricmc »

I bought this kit when it was first issued. I opened it, examined the parts and did a dry fit of the figure. I compared it to the box art and immediately relegated the kit to the shelf of doom.
Some of the issues are that the figure is totally out of proportion and the head does not resemble the Karloff monster.
I have been thinking about doing a styrene kit so I decided to revisit this one to see if I can build it with some corrections and finish it.
Ok...well let's get started.
Here's a couple of reference photos.
Image Image

First I am going to try to somewhat correct the lower body proportions.
I am listing my steps in the process in case anyone else wants to try the modifications on their kit. (Or maybe wait to see if mine turns out ok first).

Step 1. Cut 5/16 inch off of the waist and 5/32 inch off the bottom of each pants leg.
Step 2. Pack the halves of the legs where the boots attach with Aves Apoxie Sculpt putty (or the brand that you use) with a small amount extending beyond the pant leg bottoms.
Step 3. Assemble and glue the pants halves before the Aves cures so you can squeeze the legs together joining the Aves.
Step 4. Repeat Step 3 placing the Aves in the boots in the area where the boots are pinned and joined to the pants legs.
Step 5. After 24 hours sand flat the joining Aves faces of the boots and the pants legs.
Step 6. Drill, glue and pin the boots in position to the pants legs. I drilled holes slightly larger than the pin and used 5 minute epoxy in the holes and on the pins for ease of positioning the boots. Any excess glue that squeezes out can be removed with isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol before the glue hardens.

I notice that the draping of the pants legs now doesn't match the boot positions. That will be the next modification.

Image Image
Ric McHone

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

Re: WIP Moebius Frankenstein

#2 Post by billikenmonster »

I’m glad you started this I saw the same thing and had the same reaction I knew the legs were too long but I didn’t think to cut both ends .... looking good so far you have to get the replacement head if not already done so ....looking forward to seeing how it all works out