What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

DARK SHADOWS!! – Barnabas and the Werewolf

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

BobbysMonsterModels
Glue Sniffer

DARK SHADOWS!! – Barnabas and the Werewolf

#1 Post by BobbysMonsterModels »

I vaguely remember watching this show, back in the 1960's, when I was little. America's first Victorian-horror afternoon soap opera, LOL. I remember Barnabas the vampire, the werewolf, and a ghost named Quentin that lived in the attic. My sister use to watch this show after high school, and I often remember joining her. She was absorbed. I found it kinda boring. Too soap opera-y for me, LOL.

I picked these two kits up several years back, worked on them one summer to paint over a winter, but got work in, shelved them and forgot about them. I just finished painting them! I was searching for a Dark Shadows nameplate here on the forum and Tay left a link to someone doing 3D printing...and he had Dark Shadows nameplates. Anyway, Tim Fortuna sold me the nameplate (Thank you, Tim!). I epoxy mounted a small, angled, picture frame hanger to its back as a lean-to (so I can place it wherever I want it); sprayed it flat back, and then dry-brushed it brass.

Tim's nameplate (I epoxied the thing on the back)...what was really SUPER COOL is that Tim printed it at the size I asked for (2.25" wide).
Tim is a good dude, IMHO:

:D

Aspire to inspire, before you retire or expire.

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

Re: DARK SHADOWS!! – Barnabas and the Werewolf

#2 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Barnabas and the werewolf look great! I really like the werewolf's shirt. And I'm glad the nameplate worked out for you, the tab on the back is genius. Let me know if you need any nameplates for anything else, I am taking requests.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

norrin
Glue Sniffer

#3 Post by norrin »

Saw this and other models you have displayed in the Clubhouse Gallery and I'm amazed how you transform these styrene depictions into true art with your painting skills. Your style is unique and admirable.
Eat the slow. The fast are a waste of time.

BobbysMonsterModels
Glue Sniffer

#4 Post by BobbysMonsterModels »

Tim Fortuna wrote:I really like the werewolf's shirt. Let me know if you need any nameplates for anything else, I am taking requests.
Thanks, I worked really hard on that shirt. I think I used around 5 different blues for the dry-brushing to make it finally work.

Tim, if you ever need someone to do complex work for your nameplates, let me know. I'm excellent in Adobe Illustrator. It's what I do for a living. If you need any splines for complex pieces I could help you if they are not available or you can't get them drawn correctly. I can draw anything. Keep me in mind.

Thanks Norrin! I wasn't really happy with Barnabas' face. They did not mold eyes into his face. They are just holes between his eyelids...bad sculpt design. Every once in awhile I'll build a kit I'm not entirely happy with and Barnabas was one of them, I was happy with the Werewolf though, despite his clunky head-shape. IMHO, these two models, although nostalgic, are really turds, regards to factory production. They were truly a challenge to make look good.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#5 Post by tay666 »

Those turned out great. I am still finishing up mine, so I know how much work you put into those to make them look that good. Especially the seams on that werewolf shirt.
Too bad you didn't get the version of the kit with the resin replacement heads that Bwain used to make. Makes a world of difference in the kits.

That was the whole reason I was looking for a nameplate. To help engineer a way to display the extra heads. I built mine so they can be displayed with the resin heads, or the original glow heads.

I do really like your idea of the bracket on the back, and may steal that idea for the many nameplates I have for my Prehistoric Scenes kits.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

BobbysMonsterModels
Glue Sniffer

#6 Post by BobbysMonsterModels »

I am switching from enamels to acrylics very soon. I had to paint these two with enamel because I primed them both with enamel. I am truly bummed about switching. I really like the oily texture of enamels. I don't mind the fact that they take awhile to dry. I'm loaded up with acrylics though. I'm just not looking forward to the learning curve. It should be interesting.

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#7 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Thank you for that ingenious idea about the "prop" to hold up the name plate. I have asked Tim to create a bunch of nameplates for me and was frankly puzzling over the best way how to attach/mount them to some builds where it would frankly be difficult. You've solved my dilemma for me! (Best of all, you can move the name plate around and pack it separately if moving).

:like
Last edited by bucketfoot-al on May 2nd, 2022, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

BobbysMonsterModels
Glue Sniffer

#8 Post by BobbysMonsterModels »

Thanks bucketfoot, those tiny picture hangers are perfect because they already have a bent angle to them that is perfect for leaning back...and they come in all kinds of sizes too. Definitely use 2 part epoxy though and not crazy glue so it will bond forever. While it's drying, very carefully test it to make sure you have the hanger glued in the proper place for sitting the nameplate at the angle you like. You might have to nudge it a bit. You should be good though, and when it's dry you can spray the whole thing with primer.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#9 Post by tay666 »

BobbysMonsterModels wrote: I had to paint these two with enamel because I primed them both with enamel.
No you don't.
You can put acrylic right over enamel without issue.
The other way around can cause problems. But usually only if you are covering large areas. I have routinely added enamel over acrylic in small areas like eyes and such.
Trevor Ylisaari

BobbysMonsterModels
Glue Sniffer

#10 Post by BobbysMonsterModels »

Trevor, my experience with acrylics over enamel has always been using acrylic washes for details on faces, hands, etc. I have always found enamels to be difficult with details (too thick), so acrylics have been a big help for me there. Also, the enamel has to be really cured before you paint over it with acrylic, otherwise you get some beading, and have to keep brushing to get the paint to cover. I found the beading to always be a problem. Usually, after you get the first layer of acrylic on enamel and let it fully dry, then the acrylic finally goes down without beading. Enamels take so long to fully cure, but I've gotten use to it.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#11 Post by tay666 »

Are you using flat enamels or glossy enamels?
The problem you describe sounds a lot like you are using glossy enamels. And yeah, acrylics will bead up on them and cause lots of aggravation.
I usually get around that by hitting it with a coat of clear flat spray. I'd say dulcote, but that is getting so hard to find and is so expensive, I save that for final work. I like Krylon for the in between work.
Trevor Ylisaari

BobbysMonsterModels
Glue Sniffer

#12 Post by BobbysMonsterModels »

Most of my MM enamels are flat. I have occasionally had to use gloss enamel because I needed a certain color, but I absolutely abhor enamel gloss paints. I use gloss black to dry brush shoes though. I like the effect. I think the issue isn't so much is it flat or gloss paint, as is the enamel fully cured before I hit it with acrylic? It might look dry to the touch, but is it cured? Then there are different types of acrylics too. Tamiya acrylics are much different to me than MM acrylics (which are no longer sold, but I have a bunch of them). I do use clear flat dull coat spray on all of my models towards the end of finishing them. It does make the acrylic go down a bit better on enamel painted faces, but I find I have to be patient getting it to work nicely. Of course then I spray it again and seal the acrylic.