What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

UPDATE: The Ghost Sighting!!! SCARY!!!!

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

BobbysMonsterModels
Glue Sniffer

UPDATE: The Ghost Sighting!!! SCARY!!!!

#1 Post by BobbysMonsterModels »

Hey all,

Just finished Monarch Models’ The Ghost. I actually started working on this kit many years ago, right after it was released. It was the last model that I had started building/painting before I took an extended break from monster modeling. Maybe when you read this you’ll understand. There was something strange about this kit when it arrived. It was covered in cobwebs and it smelled like a great grandmothers attic. Upon opening the box, it wreaked of mothballs, cedar, Aspercreme, and wet Irish Setter. I’m serious!

So, I don’t know about the rest of you monster modelers, but I found this model a bit of a challenge. Weirdest, freakiest, spookiest monster model I’ve EVER worked on. Let me tell ya! The most difficult part was assembling the body of the Ghost. When it came down to assembly, I really just had to use my imagination. Or at least what I thought was my imagination…ummm, uh…I, uh, found it extremely difficult to tell what was a leg? An arm? Or a head? I kept blinking my eyes and grabbing at what I thought was a…well, oh, I really couldn’t tell… *sigh*. I also had an extremely hard time with the gap-filling. To be honest, I couldn’t find the gaps because I couldn’t see them, which I guess saved me alot of time and effort, you know? Jeesh! Thank goodness!

The worst part was painting the actual Ghost. I was having a really hard time seeing it. I just couldn’t focus. I had paint all over my fingers, hands, and work desk. It was a mess! In hindsight, I think it looks okay, but I’m having a hard time telling because I really…can’t…see it. It’s been the most difficult model for me to rate after building. I mean, I do like the way the base turned out, but I can’t really tell if, ummm…how the Ghost turned out?

My Dad keeps telling me I need new glasses. Maybe that’s what the problem is? He says it looks good, “Real spooky”, he says! He tells me I should do more ghost models…that I’m “on to something”. He says “do more of them…the ghosts…only next time without their bases”. Dad’s always full of ideas. Anyway, I honestly don’t know where I’d put them? I’m thinking they’d take up too much room.

Here’s a nice pic of the Ghost’ upper torso…kinda, sorta…I think? Maybe?

And here’s a really nice pic of his head. You have to look real hard. Pretty cool, huh?
Ghosts are so spooky! This picture gives me the chills…brrrrrrrrr:

So how do you all think the Ghost looks? Dad says he’s “a study in hyper-realism”. Me? I can’t decide. I’m thinking it’s missing something. I’ll see if I can get better photos of it tonight, at the stroke of midnight, but I’m sure you all understand this paranormal stuff is very unpredictable, as well as difficult to capture on camera, so I can’t promise anything. Wish me luck.

UPDATE:

I don't know where to start...I'm shaking as I type.

Midnight has come and gone. I had made my way downstairs to my modeling desk where I had set up my little camera shoot from earlier in the day. Everything was ready. I poured a glass of red wine and munched on a burrito. At exactly midnight, the chandelier lights flickered ever so slightly. The temperature dropped in the room and I could see my breath. I immediately started snapping away on my digital camera. There were sparks and flashes. Burps and farts. It happened so fast. I wasn't exactly sure what I had seen. It was all a blur. I immediately ran upstairs, plugged my camera into my computer, downloaded the photos and was in absolute SHOCK and HORROR at what I saw.

Gasp...and behold!!!
The Ghost:

I just checked downstairs again.
There's no ghost. Just the base.
This thing is like Elf On A Shelf.
Aspire to inspire, before you retire or expire.

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Re: UPDATE: The Ghost Sighting!!! SCARY!!!!

#2 Post by Ant »

Great work - some lovely colour choices and shading!

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#3 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Finally, some actual paranormal proof! But the scariest thing here is that you had a red wine and burrito together. :shock: Everyone knows burritos go with a Zinfandel. :roll:
Seriously though that came out awesome! Really love the way you did the suit. And that is the best write up I have seen in awhile.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#4 Post by bucketfoot-al »

:like

Nice write up ... cool build!
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by Scooke123 »

Great build, paintwork and backstory!!!!!!!
Steve Cooke

Dale Stringer
Squire of the Sprue

#6 Post by Dale Stringer »

:like great job
Dale Stringer

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#7 Post by Otto69 »

I really like the monochrome clothes to make them seem 'ghostly'.

It's too bad they never released a glow in the dark version.
Keep America Strong, Watch More Horror Movies!

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#8 Post by Todd P. »

Monarch did release a glow Ghost in a square box. It sold horribly and Scott McKillop scrapped most of them. The ones that remain -- less than 300, as I recall -- are pretty collectible.

BobbysMonsterModels
Glue Sniffer

#9 Post by BobbysMonsterModels »

Thanks guys!
As uncertain as I was going into painting this one, it ended up being fun.
Aspire to inspire, before you retire or expire.

sirbacardi
Seam Filler

#10 Post by sirbacardi »

Super job!
Dave W.,
A.K.A. Dr. Pretorius at the Hobbytalk forum,
A.K.A. Ale Knight at Cool Mini or Not,
Chiller Theatre Model and Art Contest staff

Models are cool!