What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

The place where it all started... the old HOBBY SHOP

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Ken Kwil
Jack of all Trades

The place where it all started... the old HOBBY SHOP

#1 Post by Ken Kwil »

I recently came across these old photos of the Hobby Shop that I can remember buying most of those old Aurora monster models. As well as car models, boat models, plane models, Lionel train stuff, Bachmann bird models, military models, slot cars and other things.
The name of the store was "Asco Hobby and Cycle Shop", It was located at 3519 S. Halsted St. The best thing about this location was that it was right across the street from the movie theater that us kids would go to just about every Saturday. The Ramova Theatre. After the movie I would usually go over to see what new models came out. I remember the people running Asco's were really nice friendly people. My older brother worked at the hobby shop on and off from '59 to about '62. Well always remember this hobby Shop.

Do you remember your first Hobby Shop or store that sold you your first models?

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

Re: The place where it all started... the old HOBBY SHOP

#2 Post by tay666 »

Very cool!

We didn't have a hobby shop. But we had a lot of mom & pop corner stores that carried model kits.
My main haunt was P&J Variety store. Right down town. Across the street from the City News where we bought our comic books.
I can still picture the layout of the store, and where most things were located. I also vividly remember the toy/model section. Toys on the left side, model kits on the right. With a whole rack of Testors paints and glues at the end of that aisle.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths