What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Parks Born Losers

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

Parks Born Losers

#1 Post by Aurora 484 »

Back in the late 1980s/1990, an entity called Ram Hobbies in North Bellmore, NY reissued all three of the original Parks kits (Hitler, Castro and Napoleon) using the originals molds.

1. Does anyone know the history as to how all of this came about - where they found the moulds; how many were issued etc? Who the guy(s) was/were that were involved?

2. Does anyone know where the molds are currently and who owns them?
Last edited by Aurora 484 on September 25th, 2022, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

norrin
Glue Sniffer

Re: Parks Born Losers

#2 Post by norrin »

Copied from Hobby Talk:
"They were created by Parks plastics, which primarily made products such as waste plastic baskets, and I believe they are based in New Jersey..during the kit phase in the early 60's they decided to branch out into the parody historical figure kit market..they released these three kits of Napoleon, Hitler, and castro ...and they released them in 1961..
The molds languished in storage for 28 years...until a long island collector out of curiosity, contacted them to see if they still had the molds..Parks confirmed that they did, and immediately offered to sell them to him..He purchased them and had a run made in 1989, and they were adverstised in Fine scale modeler..they came out in plain white boxes."

There are several pics in the Gallery: https://theclubhouse1.net/piwigo/index. ... arch/12626
Eat the slow. The fast are a waste of time.

Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

#3 Post by Aurora 484 »

norrin wrote:Copied from Hobby Talk:
"They were created by Parks plastics, which primarily made products such as waste plastic baskets, and I believe they are based in New Jersey..during the kit phase in the early 60's they decided to branch out into the parody historical figure kit market..they released these three kits of Napoleon, Hitler, and castro ...and they released them in 1961..
The molds languished in storage for 28 years...until a long island collector out of curiosity, contacted them to see if they still had the molds..Parks confirmed that they did, and immediately offered to sell them to him..He purchased them and had a run made in 1989, and they were adverstised in Fine scale modeler..they came out in plain white boxes."

There are several pics in the Gallery: https://theclubhouse1.net/piwigo/index. ... arch/12626
Thanks norrin. Some of this I did not know. Hopefully the molds still exist. Overdue for another run I would say!

I can't remember if the ones that I ordered came in a box or whether they were bagged...

I know that Ram Hobbies also advertised in Model and Toy Collector magazine.

The link that you attached has nothing in it but I'll do a specific search.

Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

#4 Post by Aurora 484 »

I read recently that Julius Caesar was intended to be the next Born Loser kit.

Does anyone know how far this progressed? Did it reach the blueprint stage or even the acetate stage? If so, do any photos exist?