What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Where to buy styrene kits?

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

Where to buy styrene kits?

#1 Post by tay666 »

I think the subject says it all.

Who are some of your favorite online retailers for styrene kits.
Preferably with links and comments about the service, and delivery time.

Looking to gather information for some of our newer members who probably don't know about these goldmines.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#2 Post by Todd P. »

Top of my list:

Tom Parker, a.k.a. "Cult of Personality". No Web site but always quick to answer e-mails. cultofpersonality@peoplepc.com. Great communications, fast shipment. I've never gone wrong dealing with Tom.

ignatz
Site Admin
Knight of the Round Bench

#3 Post by ignatz »

Here's a list of vendors I've dealt with that I've found to be consistently good for service and quality of product. The list is by no means complete, but I'll add to it later:

For styrene kits:
Megahobby.com Great prices, excellent mail order service.
Squadron has a poor web site, but a huge warehouse of military-related styrene kits. Also carries the full catalogue of Andrea miniatures.

For japanese kits, Hobbylink Japan. Never a recast and top rate service.

Sci-Fi resin and styrene kits:
Starship Modeler Store. Unbelievably good service. Great new products all the time. Also,
Federation Modelshas been a long term purveyer of sci fi model kits and accesories.
Star Fleet Models is a newer vendor, but I've had excellent service from him as well.
Timeslip Creations makes and sells some of the best sci fi model kits. Excellent service backs up excellent product.
Fantastic Plastic started out as THE reference site for classic sci-fi kits, but has in a short time created an extensive catalogue of classic concept space craft, and media-related vehicle models.

For Garage kits, the big guns are:
XO-Facto. Great service and lots of great, hard to find garage kits. Esp. kaiju, and his own line of classic horror kits is unmatched.
Amok Time Consistently good service and a HUGE catalogue of model kits, collectibles, and toys.
Resin RealitiesGreat range of kits. Always delivers. Count on it!
Dark Carnival Great catalog of kits. Horror, hero, sci-fi, character themes. Consistently good service.

There's a bunch of individual sculptor/caster/producers as well. And I do try to buy direct from them whenever possible.

Artomic His stuff is sold sparodically on ebay. Fast service, and when I had a slight problem with a casting, Thomas fixed it straight away.
Cult of Personality Tom doesn't have a website, yet. But you can always reach him through his email, cultofpersonality@peoplepc.com. He's got a great catalogue of unique aftermarket parts to give those old styrene kits that extra oomph. Tom's a straight shooter. And won't hand you a line.
Mad Dog Resin Great figure kits. And great service, always.
Wilco has great sci fi product and a nice range of weapon props at great prices. You can get them from CultTVMan.
Skyhook Models is one of the grandaddies of the GK scene. Dave Bengel is one of the best!

EDIT* Oh hey. Didn't notice it was only for styrene kits! Duh!

Ignore the resin kit bits. The first section and Cult of Personality are my main sources for styrene kits.
Steven

CALM DOWN. It's only a hobby.

Oh, and MODEL ON!

WOLFMAN66
Resin Slayer

#4 Post by WOLFMAN66 »

www.megahobby.com bought from them many of times and never had a problem :D :!:
Travelers to unknown regions would be well-advised to take along the family dog. He could just save you from entering the wrong gate.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Kaijumodelkit/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MonarchModelGroup/

PaulO
Glue Sniffer

#5 Post by PaulO »

All great places Ignatz but for styrene kits ( :wink: ) I use cultvman.Great service and keeps you informed about your preorder.I am going to try megahobby soon.

Sputnik Supplies
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#6 Post by Sputnik Supplies »

If you want a nice selection of styrene kits check out Kit Kong's Model mansion - http://www.modelmansion.com/

James has a great selection and his service is impossible to beat.

Paul

kitman
Clubhouse Alumni
Duke of Dry Brush

#7 Post by kitman »

http://www.megahobby.com/

Great people been with the Clubhouse from the very start.
Great service excellent communication fast shipping :thumb: :thumb:

Norm

AJNIKEAIR

#8 Post by AJNIKEAIR »

WOLFMAN66 wrote:www.megahobby.com bought from them many of times and never had a problem :D :!:
Great people and fast shipping! :wink:

Cal Everett
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Finger Painter

#9 Post by Cal Everett »

I've had a ton of success with Tower Hobbies, Hobby Masters and HobbyInc. Good prices, good delivery and always seem tohave what I want in stock.

dj53
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#10 Post by dj53 »

I've bought from both CultTVman and Megahobby...Both give excellent service and communications :thumb2:
Mcdee
My Name is Denis McDougall
I collect Aurora monster models and now Monarch and Moebius as well...
....and I've turned into a Resin Head ...

ResinBabes

#11 Post by ResinBabes »

Thanks for the list! There are a few there I didn't know about.

More places to spend money!

(I'll never be able to afford to retire..)

gmaiocco
Glue Sniffer

#12 Post by gmaiocco »

I've done a lot of business with Whirlwind Toys And Hobbies in Indiana, Pennsylvania. It's located at 2440 Philadelphia St., Indiana, Pa. 15701; phone 724-349-6849. Email is hobbysupercenter@comcast.net. This store carries a wide variety of sci-fi and monster kits as well as supplies, and gives excellent service.
Greg Maiocco

jps3404
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

Re: Where to buy styrene kits?

#13 Post by jps3404 »

I too recommend www.megahobby.com

I just purchased the Moebius Mummy kit from them, as well as a handful of Freak Flex paints.

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#14 Post by kevtk135 »

My fav brick amd motar place is
Avenel Hobbies
1111 Saint Georges Ave
Colonia, NJ 07067-4121
(732) 382-7717
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#15 Post by LOBOREX »

CultTVman fast and easy, first place i go to for styrene.
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

HUNCH
Glue Sniffer

#16 Post by HUNCH »

I'd like to second Avenel Hobbies. Great selection!

longhi
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#17 Post by longhi »

thanks for sharing such amazing links!
http://www.facebook.com/glaucolonghi

WOLFMAN66
Resin Slayer

Re:

#18 Post by WOLFMAN66 »

ignatz wrote:Here's a list of vendors I've dealt with that I've found to be consistently good for service and quality of product. The list is by no means complete, but I'll add to it later:

For styrene kits:
Megahobby.com Great prices, excellent mail order service.
Squadron has a poor web site, but a huge warehouse of military-related styrene kits. Also carries the full catalogue of Andrea miniatures.

For japanese kits, Hobbylink Japan. Never a recast and top rate service.

Sci-Fi resin and styrene kits:
Starship Modeler Store. Unbelievably good service. Great new products all the time. Also,
Federation Modelshas been a long term purveyer of sci fi model kits and accesories.
Star Fleet Models is a newer vendor, but I've had excellent service from him as well.
Timeslip Creations makes and sells some of the best sci fi model kits. Excellent service backs up excellent product.
Fantastic Plastic started out as THE reference site for classic sci-fi kits, but has in a short time created an extensive catalogue of classic concept space craft, and media-related vehicle models.

For Garage kits, the big guns are:
XO-Facto. Great service and lots of great, hard to find garage kits. Esp. kaiju, and his own line of classic horror kits is unmatched.
Amok Time Consistently good service and a HUGE catalogue of model kits, collectibles, and toys.
Resin RealitiesGreat range of kits. Always delivers. Count on it!
Dark Carnival Great catalog of kits. Horror, hero, sci-fi, character themes. Consistently good service.

There's a bunch of individual sculptor/caster/producers as well. And I do try to buy direct from them whenever possible.

Artomic His stuff is sold sparodically on ebay. Fast service, and when I had a slight problem with a casting, Thomas fixed it straight away.
Cult of Personality Tom doesn't have a website, yet. But you can always reach him through his email, cultofpersonality@peoplepc.com. He's got a great catalogue of unique aftermarket parts to give those old styrene kits that extra oomph. Tom's a straight shooter. And won't hand you a line.
Mad Dog Resin Great figure kits. And great service, always.
Wilco has great sci fi product and a nice range of weapon props at great prices. You can get them from CultTVMan.
Skyhook Models is one of the grandaddies of the GK scene. Dave Bengel is one of the best!

EDIT* Oh hey. Didn't notice it was only for styrene kits! Duh!

Ignore the resin kit bits. The first section and Cult of Personality are my main sources for styrene kits.
I second that Cult of personality Tom Parker :D .Great guy to deal with at the shows and threw the mail and pretty much can get any styrene kit or replacement part or add ons you want at reasonable prices. :D
Travelers to unknown regions would be well-advised to take along the family dog. He could just save you from entering the wrong gate.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Kaijumodelkit/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MonarchModelGroup/

Racer X
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#19 Post by Racer X »

Great selection of styrene kits, toys and hooby supplies in Japan:
HOBBY SEARCH

Most prices slightly below suggested retail prices, they also offer a "bonus system".

Great service, each e-mail and inquiry answered fast and politely. Great service.
I'm not sloppy - I'm an Impressionist!
Therefore anything that looks like a flaw is an intentional and integral part of the artwork as a whole.
(Disclaimer: This sig is not to be taken entirely seriously)

Big Daddy Dave H
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#20 Post by Big Daddy Dave H »

Cult TV Man and Mega Hobby are my first two choices. All of our local hobby shops closed down and it's strictly online now for styrene junkies here in South Bend, IN. The local Hobby Lobby has kits but they only carry half a dozen or so sci-fi related kits. No Pegasus, Mobeius, or Round 2 except for the small snap and car kits. It's rather sad walking through the model isle at a store and not seeing anything I'm remotely interested in buying. :shock: