What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

I think I have a problem

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

WOLFMAN66
Resin Slayer

Re: I think I have a problem

#21 Post by WOLFMAN66 »

tay666 wrote:Well, the 'sickness' just won't let go.

I am now up to 81 Monster Scenes and related kits.
I dont call it a sickness.There is other things out there far worse than model kit collecting like drugs ect ect.So its always good to see someone doing something constructive with themselves in a good way,than going the route of being destructive to themselves and others.
Travelers to unknown regions would be well-advised to take along the family dog. He could just save you from entering the wrong gate.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Kaijumodelkit/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MonarchModelGroup/

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#22 Post by scuzzfink85 »

True, but if become overwhelming then there is problem..
Yes there drugs and other stuff.. when you can't stop buying something
you already have and you really don't need that is a problem..
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#23 Post by tay666 »

Oh I need them.
At least the vision I have in my head says I do.

Some day I will have a huge dungeon display done with these kits.
A shelf above with all the graveyard scenes stuff that is above ground, probably with some sort of cemetery along with it.
Then a couple of lower shelves with the dungeon proper. All populated with these great pieces.

I just need to get going on some of it so I can get the figures done before my eyes go bad and I can't see to work with 1/13 scale.

So I am not just buying them for the sake of buying them.
I fully intend to put them to use in a big master plan. The question is, will 'some day' ever come?
Especially with all the other kits I love working on.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#24 Post by tay666 »

Well. At least things have slowed down. I've only added 15 kits to the inventory since last year.
Bringing my new total up to 96 Monster Scenes and related kits.

Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#25 Post by Scooke123 »

Nice collection Trevor. I have quite a few myself. I'll have to get them all together someday to see what I actually have now.
Steve Cooke

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#26 Post by scuzzfink85 »

People who have problem buy really expensive kits and fill the whole garage or room
or most of the house and never build them.. I known alot of hoarders
of many collectables.. Your fine tay666
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

Big Daddy Dave H
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#27 Post by Big Daddy Dave H »

tay666 wrote:I think that is a problem we all share :lol:

Seriously though. That is one of the reasons I keep snagging up so many of them.
I have lots of plans. The problem is, finding the time and the inspiration to get some of them done.
I often wonder if I'm going to end up like this poor guy when I retire...eyes so bad I can't build all the models I've stashed...then I wake up in a cold sweat and look for more kits on closeout!

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#28 Post by Rocketeer »

tay666 wrote:Oh I need them.

Some day I will have a huge dungeon display done with these kits....
I fully intend to put them to use in a big master plan. The question is, will 'some day' ever come?
Start now! I suspect that the scope of such an ambitious project has you a bit intimidated. So just build some minor element (like a section of wall with a window, maybe), just to get rolling, then some other little piece. Before you know it, you'll be steaming ahead full speed! :D

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#29 Post by tay666 »

Rocketeer wrote:
tay666 wrote:Oh I need them.

Some day I will have a huge dungeon display done with these kits....
Start now! I suspect that the scope of such an ambitious project has you a bit intimidated.
Not really.
Just my bench is always full of other stuff. And every time I clear some space, usually my newest acquisitions end up filling it back up.
You know how it is, the newest ones are always the coolest ones, until the next new one comes along :)

I do have one MS kit on the bench, but it hasn't been touched since Halloween. Just haven't been feeling the mojo for it.
Trevor Ylisaari

FGA
Glue Sniffer

#30 Post by FGA »

It is so much easier to plan great projects than to complete them.
My over flowing collection is based on many such plans.
Now, where do I put all this stuff? :)

KCP
Finger Painter

#31 Post by KCP »

I don't know how old any of you are here, but I'll tell ya that I, at age 61, have finally arrived at the conclusion that all the models I have built cannot be handed down, as my daughter is just not into it and my wife? Well, she likes what I do, but wouldn't know what too do with 'em if I kicked the bucket and left them sitting on the dusty shelf. So, what to do with built and painted labors of "love" (or something) and unbuilt kits that fill (just one, thankfully) clothes closet? Sell the painted ones, but to whom? AND, maybe...build and paint the unbuilt ones and then sell them, too! Why not? Better to disperse to those who will appreciate, then to have them thrown in the trash by someone who just doesn't get it. Ah...heck...keep buying, keep buying...keep building, keep building...NO! STOP!

ausf
Seam Filler

#32 Post by ausf »

KCP wrote:I don't know how old any of you are here, but I'll tell ya that I, at age 61, have finally arrived at the conclusion that all the models I have built cannot be handed down, as my daughter is just not into it and my wife? Well, she likes what I do, but wouldn't know what too do with 'em if I kicked the bucket and left them sitting on the dusty shelf. So, what to do with built and painted labors of "love" (or something) and unbuilt kits that fill (just one, thankfully) clothes closet? Sell the painted ones, but to whom? AND, maybe...build and paint the unbuilt ones and then sell them, too! Why not? Better to disperse to those who will appreciate, then to have them thrown in the trash by someone who just doesn't get it. Ah...heck...keep buying, keep buying...keep building, keep building...NO! STOP!
Depending on the subject matter, for the finished kits you could always see if a local organization, museum, library, even Scouts would be interested in displaying them.

As far as unbuilt, if you're serious, I would try to find someone in your situation near you (or even online) and strike an agreement that the other would take care of the stash and pass the proceeds on to your family. Or even a trusted retailer.

I've thought of it myself, I'm not thinking future yet, but my teenage sons aren't interested anymore (they built as kids) and my wife has no idea what to do with it. I have a lot of gear, AB's, vacuum chambers, 3D Printers, animation programs, plus a ton of kits and RC stuff that would fetch a good amount if sold, I'd hate for it to get dumped. I've built relationships on forums over the years that I would absolutely trust in that situation, I've seen people help family liquidate stashes, just don't know if anyone from my end would contact anyone.
Plausible deniability.

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#33 Post by kevtk135 »

I hate to be the downer here. But IMHO if you really think you're at the point where there's no way to build everything in your stash, the only reasonable out is to start selling now. whether here, or Etsy, or even ebay. Maybe buy a vendor table at a local or regional model show.

This thread comes up on nearly every modeling forum, and the answer is always the same, give to a museum. Problem is that museums are in the same boat, Stuff takes up space and for them space = money. Even if they do take them, doesn't mean at one point they won' be given back or even toss 'em. I used to belong to a IPMS club nearby. A museum asked them for a display of planes, which the club provided. Down the road a bunch of years and a new curator comes in. They want the space for something else. They ask "Do you want them back or should we just throw them away."
Which is another point - the time and love you put in to the build mean nothing to another person. The club said (in a sort of huff) "We'll take them back." The museum, to help out, literally took the models and tossed them into one big box. When the club got them home nearly 80% of them were damaged where it didn't make sense to spend $ to restore them. Into the dumpster they went.
There's even a show "Strange Inheritance" on one of the cable channels. every once in a while there's a show on some modeler who spent his whole life building and filling a room/house. Now the guy's dead, and the wife is stuck with models. She wants to get rid of them. On this show they are appraised and find out some of the collections are worth $. But no museum would take them, or if they found a place it's one 1/2 across the country. Most get stuck with them.

What I'm doing is going thru and marking the box with what I paid and will begin to get rid of them when I reach "that point." My son says he wants them. He's only 15 now, but hopefully I'll live long enuff to see him married and there's a good shot when he brings all the boxes into his house, his wife might be WTF? So the prices are on the box.

I have it in my mind that the majority of the finished models will be in the trash after I'm gone. Sure the wife and son might take one each to remember me. But if not - I'll be dead and won't know and won't care... ;)
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

joeyoung

#34 Post by joeyoung »

I'm just starting out on the whole kit building journey and I've already seen a lot of people talking about buying the exact same kits en-masse.

As a newbie here I don't want to upset anyone but I do have difficulty understanding why someone would buy several identical kits. So far it looks as if it's just for the sake of hoarding for long-term investment, immediate flipping at a much higher value, or an OCD.

Yes, I'm aware that there's always the option of doing several different paint jobs or modifications of the same kit, but that doesn't appear to be what people are doing. I must confess that I own two original Aurora Mummy kits, the UK square box ones but the reason is that I wanted to build one, however, my fiancee said she wanted to give it a try as well with a Mummy but she didn't want to ruin it for me (not as though she would) so I bought us one each. I'm lucky in that she absolutely supports my hobby and even wants to become part of it.

On the issue of what to do with the models when you croak, I have no children to leave the kits to, so it'll be up to my sole inheritor to dispose of them. She might keep them around for posterity but if she decides not to they'll all go on eBay or whatever site exists at that time or even a yard sale. I'm 53 this year so I'm not planning to shuffle off my mortal coil anytime soon and with any luck, most of the stuff would be considered 'antique' by then and worth about as much as a stuffed weasel is now. I already see a mass of 'pro-painted builds' on eBay for in excess of a hundred dollars each, so who knows, my stuff might be valuable some day. The thought of them all ending up in the trash is sad, but it's not as if I'm going to be around to argue about it ;)

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#35 Post by tay666 »

Well, in my case with the Monster Scenes kits, the need for multiples is to build all the versions.
Doctor Deadly has 3 different sets of arms, so I need 3 of those.
Same with all the other figures, multiple arm/legs to do different poses.
Then there are all the conversions sets to go with them. There are like 5 different conversion sets/heads, just for Frankenstein. Some of which can also be used on the MOTM Frankenstein.
Then you have to have the victims for all the torture implements. Someone to go in the cage, someone to get strapped to the pendulum. Someone for Doctor Deadly to carry, someone for Frankenstein to carry.
Kogar has 3 different heads to use, and like 5 conversions sets available.

That is why I need multiples.

There are a few other kits I have multiples of, but that is mainly because I want to do different versions.
Haunted Glow Heads come to mind. I want to do a set with a straight paint job. Another set painted to take advantage of the glow plastic.
Trevor Ylisaari

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#36 Post by tay666 »

tay666 wrote:

Well. At least things have slowed down. I've only added 15 kits to the inventory since last year.
Bringing my new total up to 96 Monster Scenes and related kits.

I have no clue what my current count is. I'm still trying to find them all.
(that's what happens when they have been packed up for almost 2 years)

But I do have most of them out now
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#37 Post by Scooke123 »

Nice to see some back out in the open!
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#38 Post by tay666 »

Yes it is.
2 years packed away, and now I have no idea how much of what I have anymore.

(I mean, I have some idea what I had, but not sure what I've added to the pile during that time)
Trevor Ylisaari

molemento

#39 Post by molemento »

Nice collection. Even I don’t have a boxed Invisible Man kit.

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#40 Post by Scooke123 »

molemento wrote:Nice collection. Even I don’t have a boxed Invisible Man kit.
:D Do you still have or have access to the molds? Are there any plans of re-releasing any of the prior releases again in the future?
Steve Cooke