What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

The NEW, Live Action Cowboy BeBop (on Netflix)

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

The NEW, Live Action Cowboy BeBop (on Netflix)

#1 Post by AntMan »

Soooooo, has anyone (else) start watching it yet!!!

I DID!

The original Cowboy BeBop is one of my two TOP, best Animations, ever.

(I just re-watched it again, a month ago in order to get myself psyched up in preparation for the live-action release).

Even though the original Anime was release wayyyy back in 1998, it STILL stands up to test of time.

I was actually intending on doing a binge-watching session for the live-action yesterday, (going completely through all of the episodes after work). Unfortunately, I ran out of steam around 4 or 5 episodes in.

I'm REALLY impressed with what I saw, though! Sometimes (often?) when Anime or animation movies or shows are redone as live-actions, they loose something in the translation. (Quality? Or perhaps fidelity to the original?)

However, from what I've seen so far they've seem to remain pretty faithful to the original Anime. There are deviations from the original. (I'm not going to spoil anything here). The changes have worked for me personally, though.

One personal peeve is the language. In addition, the (brief) nudity is also unnecessary to me. (I would have preferred it if they
had stayed closer to the PG or PG-13 look and feel of the original).

This is a minor gripe of mine, though.

I'm really looking forward to watching the rest of it this weekend.
Last edited by AntMan on November 27th, 2021, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

Re: The NEW, Live Action Cowboy BeeBop (on Netflix)

#2 Post by tay666 »

I am only 3 episodes in so far, and I am loving every minute of it!

I've loved the original anime for a long time now. I wouldn't go so far to put it in my top ten, but I don't turn down a chance to watch it either. At this point, it is an old familiar friend.

I haven't been paying any attention on if the live action is following the original religiously. I don't really care about that.
What I do care about is that it feels right. It feels like BeeBop. The character feel right, and sound right, and act right. The settings feel right for a BeeBop show.

And I am enjoying the ride.
I had to force myself to stop watching, so I don't burn through it too fast. I want to savor it a little bit.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#3 Post by Buc Wheat »

On ep 7 and enjoying it alot!

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#4 Post by tay666 »

Finished it this morning.

I want more!
I want it now!

It was so good. Only slow one for me was episode 9. Mainly because I already knew the back story and didn't really need a whole episode to explain it all to me.
Trevor Ylisaari

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by Buc Wheat »

I liked ep 9 the best!! :)

And kinda hated the ending. But overall enjoyed the series.

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

Re: The NEW, Live Action Cowboy BeBop (on Netflix)

#6 Post by AntMan »

Sooo, I ended up finishing binge-watching the revamped live-action adaptation last Sunday, and I have some serious issues with it. :?

Spoiler Alert!!!
Probably my biggest gripe about the live-action remake is them pushing it up to an 'R' rating.

I mean "REALLY???" Was it REALLY necessary to add all of that foul language. (Some of the episodes felt like they were thinking: "Uh-Oh! We've gone 10 or 15 minutes in without having anyone curse. It's time to have Faye utter a bunch of expletives'").

Also, did they REALLY have to give Jet a daughter, and have him be in a somewhat estranged family situation?

And did they REALLY have to have all of those excessively violent, detailed gory scenes??? (I tell ya. That one scene when Spike goes off and kills everyone in the room was very reminiscent of the violent scene in the first "Kingsman" movie. If you saw "Kingsman", you probably know the scene I'm talking about - The church scene. In addition, that earlier flash-back scene where Spike and Vicious are pulling off a hit on a police official and Vicious ends up going off on the guy was a bit too much).

When looking back at the original, I have to admit it DOES have some pretty violent shoot-'em-up scenes. However, nothing on the level of the details found in some of the live-action ones.

While the original Cowboy Bebop was basically composed of numerous individual, stand-alone episodes (which help smooth over the underlying violent thread of Spike's past, the Syndicate and Viscous), the live-action version tried to tie as many episodes into Spike's past, Viscous and the Syndicate as best they could.

Also, I think the musical score was done much better in the original Anime, incorporating Jazz and the Blues into individual episodes. Much of this was done to help set the stage on some of those original episodes. (With the latter live-action version, at times the incorporated music felt a bit "forced". Or, it felt as if it was added in as an afterthought, often trailing off and ending too quickly).

Another thing I enjoyed in the original over the remake was the often very, very subtle humor which was incorporated in. (How many characters exhibited that "eye-twitch", when they were displeased with something which was just said or done)?

And the ending of the live action? I mean??? REALLY????

(One thing I have to admit that I really liked in the remake was Faye, towards the end of that final episode, saying something like: "Say hi to the Hurt!", before she proceeds to blow everyone away). - :)

And Yeah, Buc. I also HATED the way they ended things with Spike and Julia (and Viscous). This was COMPLETELY different from the Anime

Overall I guess I'm still glad that someone DID decide to redo Cowboy Bebop.

However I just wish they had stayed a bit closer to the original.

- Tony
Last edited by AntMan on May 28th, 2022, 12:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.
-Tony

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#7 Post by AntMan »

....For those of you who have not seen the original Anime, I highly recommend that you do! (Or if you did, but it was years ago, you might want to refresh your minds with the original).

Overall, the musical score which was incorporated in the original Anime was second to none, (in my humble opinion). I don't think this had ever been done before. with any other Anime? (Definitely not to that extent).

Also keep in mind that the original was released here in the states waay back in 1998, over 20 years ago.

Music was incorporated into just about every episode, helping to set the stage with many of the associated scenes. In some episodes, (one in particular: "Sympathy for the Devil"), the music played a key role in the story.

Another thing that the original had but the live-action didn't do such a good job in capturing was the sometimes subtle humor incorporated into the episodes. (When watching some of the original Anime episodes, look for that subtle "eye-twitch").

Some of the original episodes were just plain-old funny! (See "Mushroom Samba", along with "Cowboy Funk" and "Toys in the Attic" ("Heavy Rock of the Dark Night"), particular the very end of it, along with the introduction to the very next episode).

Other episodes had a very sentimental, sad note to them, (particularly the very first episode, "Asteroid Blues", "Waltz for Venus", "Speak Like a Child" and "Boogie Woogie Feng Shui").

Still other episodes have an ultra-creepy vibe to them, (like "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Pierrot le Fou" ("Requiem for a Clown"), and even the end of "Gateway Shuffle").

Many of the original Anime episodes do an excellent job taking the viewer though a wide range of emotions. (After setting the stage with a lot of light-hearted, humorous episodes and scenes, the final two episode, "The Real Folk Blues (Part 1)" along with "The Real Folk Blues (Part 2)" drops the hammer on the storyline. (If you end up watching the very final episode, make sure you watch it all the way to the end, through the end of the credits.

There's some really nice, subtle things happening in some of the episodes of the original Anime, which you may miss if not paying close attention.
Last edited by AntMan on March 13th, 2022, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Tony

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#8 Post by Tim Fortuna »

And it's gone. Damnit Netflix, try a little harder maybe.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#9 Post by Buc Wheat »

Yeah, saw that news last night. Little surprised the decision was
made this quickly, but I guess the feedback wasn't good.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#10 Post by tay666 »

I am really sad to hear this :(

I really enjoyed the season and was looking forward to more adventures with the crew.
Trevor Ylisaari

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#11 Post by AntMan »

I gotta say that I'm not all that disappointed with their decision to just pull the plug on the live-action. I just couldn't get over the numerous differences which crept into the live-action version.

I really couldn't get into the actors (and actresses) who were cast. Daniella Pineda's as Faye was just too far a stretch for me. (Ironically) her character just seemed too simplistic (and 2-dimensional), when compared to the original cartoon version of Faye.

They could have just renamed the series "Vicious, Julia and the Futuristic Syndicate" (with "Cowboy Bebop" in small caps, as a subtitle). (Their emphasis on a revamped, revised Vicious, Julia and Syndicate plot just took too much away from the theme's focus of the original). I mean, the way they twisted the plot with Julia and Spike (and Vicious) at the end had me thinking "Really???"

The interwoven musical score found throughout the original anime was far too lacking in the live-action version, along with the subtle, very simplistic but nonetheless funny humor also found in the original being missing.

Here's a question??? Instead of just using him as a consultant, why didn't they just give the original show's director Shinichiro Watanabe more of an active role in the live-action version, or just give him full control over the production? He DID do a Great job on the original after all, (right)?

Additional Spoiler Alert...
And their introduction of an older Ed at the very end of episode 10, along with the actress who was chosen had me grimacing about
season two.

I AM glad the live-action version of the series was done. I just wish more of an attempt had been made to stay truer to the original.
-Tony

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#12 Post by Buc Wheat »

Speaking of the sudden appearance of Ed... I chuckled when my son
remarked, "Introducing him was more than enuff to cancel that show!!"
"As annoying in the anime as he was, I just couldn't imagine following him
in a live action sequence for more than 1/2 a minute!!" :)

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#13 Post by tay666 »

AntMan wrote:I just couldn't get over the numerous differences which crept into the live-action version.
See, I wanted different. We already had perfection with the original.
So why try to copy that completely?
I enjoyed the slightly different take on the original.
I thought the characters felt right, and I was interested to see what they did with them.

As to the big changes with the Spike / Julia / Vicious.
I didn't mind the changes. Especially since they really made sense for the story they were telling.
I wasn't keen on so much of the focus being on that story line.
But I did understand why they did that. They only had 10 episodes to work with, and they wanted to give the audience a satisfying story arc. None of the other material from the original run gave them something like that to work with. I was hoping that a second season would focus more on Faye and her origin.
Trevor Ylisaari

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#14 Post by AntMan »

Buc Wheat wrote:Speaking of the sudden appearance of Ed... I chuckled when my son
remarked, "Introducing him was more than enuff to cancel that show!!"
"As annoying in the anime as he was, I just couldn't imagine following him
in a live action sequence for more than 1/2 a minute!!" :)
Hey Buc.

Actually Ed is a "she". :D

(That was one of the side notes found in the original Anime, Faye's discovery that Ed was a girl).
-Tony

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#15 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

AntMan wrote: . . . Ed is a "she" . . . in the original Anime, Faye's discovery that Ed was a girl.
Trev & I are not surprised - we've been suspicious for years.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#16 Post by AntMan »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:
AntMan wrote: . . . Ed is a "she" . . . in the original Anime, Faye's discovery that Ed was a girl.
Trev & I are not surprised - we've been suspicious for years.

Uhhhh, HMS, I don't get it??? :?:
-Tony

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#17 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

AntMan wrote:Uhhhh, HMS, I don't get it??? :?:
Might be a bit deep for folks that are not rock fans . . . Maiden's mascot is called "Eddie" - that pic shows the female cover band & THEIR version of the mascot.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#18 Post by AntMan »

:D

Ohhhh, ok.

I understand now.

(That was DEFINITELY and inside joke, there). :wink:

Kind of continuing this original thread a bit here, there was a
associated Cowboy Bebop Movie, (in the original anime Vein).

It takes place sometime between the last, final Anime episode.

If you're a fan of the original and seem to find yourself still wanting,
(after watching the entire Anime series) you should check it out:
https://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Bebop-Mov ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
-Tony