What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Ms. Marvel on D+ === THIS was a pleasant surprise

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Ms. Marvel on D+ === THIS was a pleasant surprise

#1 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

As I mentioned in the "She-Hulk" thread - I haven't been a fan of how Disney-Marvel behaves OR (for the most part) what they have produced.

During all the run-ups to the 1st episode of Ms Marvel (on social media, forums, website comments etc.) I've had ZERO interest, and had assumed it would be blimmin' awful (especially given all their previous "Marvel" TV show offerings).

Going in, I knew nothing about the character (other than her being a 16-year-old Pakistani-American girl), so I have no idea how accurate this is to the comics - but BOY was this a breath of fresh-air!

The lead actress (Iman Vellani) is perfectly cast, very charismatic, and her excitement reaches out to you through the screen. EVERYTHING about this is refreshingly different. I loved the script/plot, the music, the supporting characters, the humour, the clever way they use "animation" as some scenes, and "over" scenes in other places . . . it's just . . . COOL! :D

It reminded me of a "Peter Parker" type story told from a different cultural perspective, and with the lead character being a different sort of "geek".

If the remaining 5 episodes are as good as the 1st, and they continue to stay away from the usual "woke" Disney BS, this will be a winner for sure.

Ignore any ignorant, disingenuous and ill-intentioned review bombing, and give it chance - my guess is you won't regret it, and will find yourself charmed.

Highly recommended :thumb2:

• (* PS: there is a mid-credits scene at the end of E01 *)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

Re: Ms. Marvel on D+ === THIS was a pleasant surprise

#2 Post by Misellus »

I liked the comic, didn't care for episode 1. I'll probably continue watching it though, just because it's MCU.

They kept the name, but changed the origin and powers (that always works). Terrigen mist/Inhumans have already been introduced into MCU, why change it? Character's a stretcher/shape changer like Mr Fantastic, why change her to an light form projector similar to green lantern, including what is essentially a power ring?

I did like the homemade Hulk costume. Dad's trying to connect, don't spit in his face kid. Also, looked like mom recognized the braclet when she opened the box. Guessing she's got history.

m-
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#3 Post by derekc62 »

I know nothing about the character so I went into the series 'blind' and thought the first episode was solid.

The editing and SFX (the animated graffiti as the kids are riding around) was first rate including the text messages and emojis worked in to the pavement and neon signs.... It's top-notch visual story-telling. So much is being conveyed without dialogue.

And the actors playing Kamala and her family are wonderful.
Derek Conlon

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by LOBOREX »

Truly amazed you liked this first episode considering how woke it is. :rolf:
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

Heavy Metal Spike

#5 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S01E02 - “Crushed”

This might be one of those situations where not knowing the source material is an advantage? (I mean - I LOVE the 1998 Emmerich Godzilla!)
  • • Not as impressive as the season opener, a few "iffy" moments, but the core story progressed nicely.
    • Some nice little funny touches again, along with more clever uses of animation.
    • That after-party house entrance scene with The Ronettes “Be My Baby” playing cracked me up - that girl has real screen presence & talent!
    • That school counsellor is annoying as heck.
    • It’s obviously going to connect with mid-teen females, but continued to reinforce that “Peter Parker” vibe for me.
    • The rescue scene fell flat (no pun intended) - just didn’t “work” for a number of reasons (where DID the costume spring from?, why take that route?, silly coincidences, etc.) . . .
      • . . . but the last couple of minutes was fun (even if the character development was telegraphed).
I’m sticking with it.

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#6 Post by derekc62 »

LOBOREX wrote:Truly amazed you liked this first episode considering how woke it is. :rolf:
I don't think a strict mother and a rebellious teen is particularly 'woke." Seemed pretty universal to me.
Derek Conlon

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#7 Post by LOBOREX »

derekc62 wrote:
LOBOREX wrote:Truly amazed you liked this first episode considering how woke it is. :rolf:
I don't think a strict mother and a rebellious teen is particularly 'woke." Seemed pretty universal to me.
As it did to me, but their is a contingent who think anything that doesn't have a white male lead is just too woke.
Helena is here at hand;

Heavy Metal Spike

#8 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

• LOBOREX wrote:As it did to me, but their is a contingent who think anything that doesn't have a white male lead is just too woke.
These 2 posts contradict one another.

If you have an issue with someone, please take it to PM. This has no place in this thread.

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#9 Post by LOBOREX »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:
  • LOBOREX wrote:As it did to me, but their is a contingent who think anything that doesn't have a white male lead is just too woke.
These 2 posts contradict one another.

If you have an issue with someone, please take it to PM. This has no place in this thread.

No they do not. And it's okay I'll just avoid this sxxt from now on. Happy trails.
Helena is here at hand;

Heavy Metal Spike

#10 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S01E03 - “Destined”

S01E04 - “Seeing Red”

Well, it’s unfortunately going off-the-boil a bit.

The lead actress and her onscreen family are the main strengths of the series, and the further they get away from those characters and add formulaic Disney-Marvel superhero/action stuff, the less impressive it is.

The introduction of the DODC agents and the Djinn (several of whom are either bad actors or have been directed badly) has added elements that have resulted in a confusing/nonsensical storyline and badly directed fight/chase scenes.

The wedding invasion in E03 made no sense at-all (why the sudden urgency?), and the moment they turned up in E04 they sent THAT episode spiralling downhill too.

I’m not sure what changed or went wrong with the production team, because even though we'll definitely be sticking this out to the end, it’s simply not as good as the opening episode made us hope it would be.

A shame – a great opportunity to include South Asian culture in a natural way, and it has been spoiled to a degree by a jerky plot, dodgy editing/directing and idiotic character decisions.

The final few moments from the scene in the train station were impressive though, and Iman Vellani still shines whenever she is allowed to act. There’s a line towards the start of E03 regarding our heroine being adorable – that is absolutely true of the actress too . . . she has SO much charisma & screen presence, and at just 19, hopefully has one heck of a future ahead of her!

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#11 Post by Scooke123 »

I tried to watch it - got thru ep 1 and tried to watch ep 2. Just couldn't do it, didn't entertain me at all.
Steve Cooke

Heavy Metal Spike

#12 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Scooke123 wrote:I tried to watch it - got thru ep 1 and tried to watch ep 2. Just couldn't do it, didn't entertain me at all.
Yeah - if you didn't like E02 Steve, my guess is that you wouldn't have been impressed with E03 & E04.

I feel bad for the (mostly) talented cast - let down by an inconsistent & disconnected plot (let's be honest - not exactly unusual for Disney-Marvel).

I'll let you know if E05 & E06 improve things any, or if it continues the steady slide downwards.

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#13 Post by derekc62 »

Scooke123 wrote:I tried to watch it - got thru ep 1 and tried to watch ep 2. Just couldn't do it, didn't entertain me at all.
It does feel like a kids' show for the first couple of episodes and then gets better.

One of the more interesting things about this series (as shown in a 4-min. documentary) is how much the lead actress' real life mirrors the character's origin.
Derek Conlon

Glusniffer

#14 Post by Glusniffer »

Watched the short documentary On Diz +. No! No, No, No, Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Can't do it!!!!! =;

Why? History of the character. In a nutshell, She gained her powers from Marv-el, a Kree warrior. Enemies of the Skrulls. Her comic book apparel in 1977 was unacceptable because it showed her navel! She later joined the Avenger's as Warbird. She fought the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and was attacked by Rouge who drained Her powers. This is why Rouge is invulnerable and can fly. She also had Carol's identity. Later on Rouge joined the X-men to get a grip on this. So basically without Ms. Marvel there would be no Rouge! The Captain Marvel Movie tying into the Avenger's series was lame also IMHO but I wasn't the the director of that fiasco. I hate it when they discombobulate the history! :roll:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms._Marvel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MccjGROAHbY
Jeff doesn't follow directions.
Jeff doesn't pay attention.
Jeff doesn't use time wisely,
Jeff doesn't play well with others......

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#15 Post by derekc62 »

Glusniffer wrote:Watched the short documentary On Diz +. No! No, No, No, Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Can't do it!!!!! =;

Why? History of the character. In a nutshell, She gained her powers from Marv-el, a Kree warrior. Enemies of the Skrulls. Her comic book apparel in 1977 was unacceptable because it showed her navel! She later joined the Avenger's as Warbird. She fought the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and was attacked by Rouge who drained Her powers. This is why Rouge is invulnerable and can fly. She also had Carol's identity. Later on Rouge joined the X-men to get a grip on this. So basically without Ms. Marvel there would be no Rouge! The Captain Marvel Movie tying into the Avenger's series was lame also IMHO but I wasn't the the director of that fiasco. I hate it when they discombobulate the history! :roll:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms._Marvel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MccjGROAHbY
I walked into the show knowing nothing about the history of the character and enjoy it for what it is.

Also, I was under the impression this iteration of Ms Marvel is a newer character with no connection to an earlier version of a character with the same name. Like Wally West is the Flash, Barry Allen is the Flash and Jay Garrick is the Flash..
Derek Conlon

Heavy Metal Spike

#16 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

derekc62 wrote: . . . I was under the impression this iteration of Ms Marvel is a newer character with no connection to an earlier version of a character with the same name. Like Wally West is the Flash, Barry Allen is the Flash and Jay Garrick is the Flash.
Yeah - she's the "4th version" (3rd & 4th comic series) in Glu's Wikipedia link.

Glusniffer

#17 Post by Glusniffer »

Wow! My bad guy's. After my Missus regained her powers and became Binary and flew off into outer space with the Star-jammers I never knew there were 3 other versions of the character. I stand humbly corrected...... :oops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KRB0Thi0oY&t=746s
Jeff doesn't follow directions.
Jeff doesn't pay attention.
Jeff doesn't use time wisely,
Jeff doesn't play well with others......

Heavy Metal Spike

#18 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Glusniffer wrote:Wow! My bad guy's. After my Missus regained her powers and became Binary and flew off into outer space with the Star-jammers I never knew there were 3 other versions of the character. I stand humbly corrected...... :oops: . . .
Easily done for those of us that (1) Were around for original releases of characters, while (2) Not being such avid followers of comic releases as we got older.

Marvel publishing stated that the "Kamala Kahn" version of Ms. Marvel was created to expand to alternate audiences, and (comic-wise) it apparently did quite well (depending on which version of the sales figures you believe).

New adaptations sometimes don't catch on - for a variety of reasons. The obvious one for me was the versions of "Ghost Rider" that followed Johnny Blaze - never did take to those (especially that "cosmic" version). Ketch had his moments, and Reyes was cool as the TV version - but that "classic biker" look (from the 70's & several later graphic novels), along with the movie one (a cross between the Blaze & Ketch incarnations) are sacrosanct for me. I also liked the look of the "western" one - great statues of both that and the Blaze version from the movie were sculpted by Ray Villafane and are among my fave mass-released prepaints. I'm looking forward to new TV/movie inclusion of the character (as long as it's done with respect!)

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#19 Post by Scooke123 »

I might give it a shot again and see what happens. Got other shows to get thru first.
Steve Cooke