What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

The Orville

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: The Orville

#161 Post by Scooke123 »

It would really suck if they renewed it for another season but cut way back on the budget.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#162 Post by tay666 »

Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#163 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Thanks for the good news Trev - my usual trawling through entertainment news has been a bit curtailed this week :lol:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#164 Post by tay666 »

Luckily I have a bunch of geeky friends on FB.
I just see them post this stuff then I share it with everyone else.

That reminds me, I need to find another thread.
Trevor Ylisaari

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#165 Post by temperflash »

Scooke123 wrote:It would really suck if they renewed it for another season but cut way back on the budget.
Star Trek did a great job with cardboard sets , Styrofoam rock formations and left over gladiator movie props.

The paintings of alien landscapes were totally believable.

With a back log of unused scenes and flipping orientation of some scenes they could cut way back and no one would notice.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#166 Post by tay666 »

I am not a happy camper right now.

Not only is season 3 pushed out until 2020 now, but it will also be a HULU exclusive now.
https://tvline.com/2019/07/20/the-orvil ... VWlKokATmA
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#167 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote:I am not a happy camper right now.

Not only is season 3 pushed out until 2020 now, but it will also be a HULU exclusive now.
https://tvline.com/2019/07/20/the-orvil ... VWlKokATmA
Yeah - one of the posts from Comic-Con I bookmarked but didn't get around to posting here.

Won't bother me because of mah buddies that have access to EVERYTHING courtesy of satellite dishes that resemble those things in the Australian Outback - but I can see this upsetting a few folks.

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#168 Post by Scooke123 »

The main thing that upsets me is the late 2020 schedule. For that long of wait it better live up to his reasons for doing so. I hope it doesn't get lost in people's minds that far out.
Steve Cooke

Heavy Metal Spike

#169 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Bit of a thread resurrection - but I've JUST started re-watching these from the beginning in prep for season 3.

Can you believe it's 4 years (almost to the day!) since the 1st episode was transmitted ?!?!?!?

Based on my re-watch of S01E01, it's great to see bits that (I now know) are expanded on in later episodes.

Without a doubt - SO much better than anything that has come out of the Kurtzman Star Trek universe over the last 4 years (Discovery, Picard, below decks) - sure they've had their moments in the sun, but judged overall - forgettable & embarrassing (even though I was a huge fan of certain episodes).

So looking forward to The Orville returning some time in the next few months.

Heavy Metal Spike

#170 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Season 3 - The Orville: New Horizons - premiers March 10th 2022.

Heavy Metal Spike

#171 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Oh hell - NOW I'm worried - looks like Season 3 could be the last season (unless . . . )
I enjoyed the 1st 2 seasons even more second time around - it would be a CRIME if this was cancelled :evil:

Heavy Metal Spike

#172 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:Season 3 - The Orville: New Horizons - premiers March 10th 2022 . . .

It's been pushed back a couple of months - now scheduled for June 2nd 2022.

From Mr. MacFarlane . . .
    • "To all ‘The Orville’ fans:
      Thanks for being so patient with us as we’ve navigated the production challenges resulting from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic . . .
      As occasionally happens, our show has been repositioned amidst the ever-changing television schedule landscape, which means that the wait will be just a bit longer, and we’re now preparing for a June 2nd launch on Hulu.
      We’ve always promised you a television experience that will make it worth the wait, and we’re not wavering on that.
      We understand the frustration you’re feeling over more delays, so we want to give you a little taste of what’s to come.
      Here’s a sneak peek at the first few minutes of our season opener, and our new main title!"

And MAN does this look good! - everything just seems more "vibrant" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

[list][list][list] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAWJq0fetYw [/list][/list][/list]

Heavy Metal Spike

#173 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S03E01 – "Electric Sheep"

Time for a rant.

I thought this was pretty sucky:
  • • Don’t like the new opening credits or music.
    • I REALLY hate that new blonde tart - can’t act, zero screen presence, and annoying as ****
    • What the heck was up with that “test flight” bit ?!?! The only purpose seemed to be to fill up 5 minutes of transmission time by showing just how dumb & boring the writers can be.
        • (flying like a retard & firing explosive devices in a tightly-packed dockyard area FULL of ships - WTH !??!?!)
    • I still wish someone would flush those kids out an airlock – but do it very VERY slowly please!
    • Not what I was hoping for, and too morose . . . and quite why they thought this was a decent enough script to fill up an entire episode is beyond me - especially since there are only 9 this season AND this was the opener.
    • There were some good bits, but this episode certainly won’t have helped their chances of getting a 4th season (which is apparently looking INCREASINGLY less likely).

Heavy Metal Spike

#174 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S03E02 – "Shadow Realms"

Still “iffy”, but a lot better than the season opener.

The good:
  • • After the 1st 10mins or so, this picked up - I like monsterzies – and this had some really creepy moments that worked well.
    • Finally we got a BIT of the humour that I really liked in the 1st two seasons – the “May the force be with you” and “Preferred sexual positions” deliveries being much appreciated.
    • Kelly’s eyes give me the shivers (in a good way) - Adrianne Palicki is a great actress & steals every scene she is in (as she did in “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”). Scott Grimes must be nuts! (or one/both of them are high-maintenance in real life)
The not-so-good:
  • • STILL hate the new blonde tart - she can precede the kids into the airlock.
    • Still hate the kids too. No – I mean REALLY hate them.
    • The doctor is getting WAY too much screen time.
    • So much lazy writing (to accompany the all-too-frequent dodgy effects):
    • o Tons of stupid risks were taken, along with illogical decisions.
      o The “decontamination” statement while not wearing their helmets was a definite facepalm moment.
      o Where did everyone go when the lights went out? - the hallways were EMPTY!
      o Splitting up and going solo - that’s always a great idea! (not).
      o How did the beasties get off the Orville?
      o The crew that survived sure cheered-up fast - they were all-smiles & laughing their heads off in the restaurant!

I’ll keep watching in the hope things get back to their old levels - but this has been a disappointment so far.

Heavy Metal Spike

#175 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S03E03 – "Mortality Paradox"

Well thank Lemmy for THAT . . . this was SO back on form that it goes into my top 5 episodes ever.

All the right people (for me) in a well-developed story that keeps you guessing until the end. Jumps around at a high-pace with everything maintaining interest.

Also had several bits that made me smile (I like the funnies). Nice tie-in to previous entries as well :) :thumb2:

Heavy Metal Spike

#176 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S03E09 - "Domino"

Given I haven't posted about S03E04/05/06/07/08, it's fairly obvious apathy set in . . . a combination of disappointment and frustration . . . with episodes that were awful, mediocre, insulting and okay.

But tonight we got the penultimate episode in the season, and I think that was probably the best episode of The Orville EVER Image

Opening STRONG right out the gate, it was more like a well-financed movie than a TV show, up there with some of the best Star Trek, Farscape, Babylon 5 et-al . . . well written, well acted, and just damn CLEVER, with a steady build, WORTHWHILE slower parts (instead of the cringe & sickly ones we've had this season), perfect character arcs, and a ton of surprises & overlapping action sequences.

I don't know how many of you read this thread, so I'll avoid spoilers, and I'll strongly suggest you go into this cold - the journey is half the fun.

SO impressed with this one.

Let's hope the last episode doesn't let us down the way I felt so much of Season 3 did.

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#177 Post by Misellus »

There's also a recently released novella that takes place between S3 Eps 8 and 9

https://www.amazon.com/Orville-Sympathy ... 196&sr=8-1

Apparently it was going to be an episode but they couldn't film it due to time constraints.

I have not read it yet, just letting people know it exists.
m-
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt