What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Somehow seems wrong not to discuss the Justice League movie

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

Somehow seems wrong not to discuss the Justice League movie

#1 Post by Todd P. »

Bitter fact is, I lost interest in Justice League right around the time Man of Steel was released, and I lost even more interest in it when Joss Whedon came on board. But I recognize that my lack of interest is partly vindictive. I've been a Justice League fan most of my life, so I take it almost personally that the people in charge haven't even come close to representing the DC heroes the way I think they deserve. Except perhaps for Wonder Woman, although I'm not sure how well she's treated in this latest outing.

But whatever. I'm not going to see the film until I can do it without paying for it (which means checking out the DVD from my local library), but I'm still curious about the opinions of my fellow middle-aged fanboys. So, whatcha'll think?

WStulack
Seam Filler

Re: Somehow seems wrong not to discuss the Justice League mo

#2 Post by WStulack »

I went in with low expectations. It was better than I thought it would be.
I liked it for the most part. It was light years better than Batman vs. Superman. But I understand what you are saying about losing interest.
These characters really deserve better than what they are getting.

Seems like a lot of these Super Hero movies are getting bogged down with having to be "realistic".
Comic books by nature are NOT realistic, that is a lot of the charm for me, they are meant to be larger than life.
William Stulack

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#3 Post by scuzzfink85 »

The cartoons from 2001 to 2006 are really great
Superman Vs Darkseid excellent.. and movie cartoons as well..
This just big screen video game..
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#4 Post by Misellus »

Story wise, I liked the movie, but implementation was bad. It had some really bad pacing in places. They had to remove 45-55 minutes to get the movie under the 2 hour mark demanded by Warner Bros (seen both numbers so don't know which is correct). It shows. They were also rushing to meet the release date. I think putting those 45 minutes back in the film, plus a few extra months to get effects looking good rather than passable. Most of the movie is greenscreen so everything has a subtle wrongness to it. For the most part I think the backgrounds in Gotham look better (which is sad given the difference in budget)

I liked Flash more than I expected but still don't care for this version of the character. There's never been a version in the comics where he was just a neurotic mess. I did like the scene at the monument though (trying to avoid spoilers) even though (again) the cgi was poorly done.

I liked Cyborg. I liked how he looked and the actor did a good job. The cgi was flat in places but in general I think they did him well.

Really liked Aquaman. Mamoa can do comedy as well. his "I think we're going to die, but I'm fine with that." speech was fun and the reveal made it that much funnier.

Batman and Wonder Woman...good, solid job by both

but what do I know, I liked Suicide Squad
m-
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#5 Post by Todd P. »

I haven't seen Suicide Squad, but will when I decide I've lowered my expectations enough. That's what I did with Ang Lee's Hulk movie, and it made it possible for me to enjoy some aspects of the film.

I guess the lack of response I'm seeing to Justice League here reflects what's happening throughout the country. Warner Bros. had an opportunity to do something fun and squandered it, turning a deaf ear to fans again and again.

I'll bet a nickel -- but not a dime -- that the next bad decision will be to put Joss Whedon fully in charge of what happens with the team next, deciding he's not to blame for this mess. Even though he is.

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by scuzzfink85 »

I agree with you.. Yes Joss, is not as good as he use to be
Back in his days of Buffy and Angel.. sad.
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#7 Post by Todd P. »

Bumping this in honor of the late Tom Parker, who loved the Zack Snyder DC movies he lived to see. The much-ballyhooed "Snyder Cut" of Justice League is going to be released next year on HBO Max.

Tom, I hope it's everything you wanted it to be.

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by Buc Wheat »

Sat thru the director's cut last night. Enjoyed it (slight plot holes notwithstanding).
The 4 hrs didn't bother me and thought the pacing was good.

What kept tearing me outta the world was the cast members, more than anything...
- any time I see Afleck in the bat suit, which looks like he has one of those wrestlers
suits that you buy at halloween. Kept cracking me up!

- Cyborg... the actor was terrible, but what bothered me more was the lack of human to
the cyborg! Way too much metal and not enuff skin for me. Kept waiting for him to talk
like Arnold!

- Flash - even as a kid, I saw no use for this lame character... and how they have him playing
him just makes everytime he's on screen that much more screetchy!!

- Love whatshisname as Aquaman... but he's still a lame character w/ no usefullness outside water.

- never enough Wonder Woman! <smirk>

btw, is there a back story as to why Supe's uniform is black and not his usual colors? Wondering
if there was more info in the comics than what wasn't said in the movie.

Buc

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#9 Post by Todd P. »

I believe the black costume came in the aftermath of the "death of Superman" story from the '80s. After Doomsday sorta killed him for a little while. I think he was wearing a black suit with no cape, along with the long hair.

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#10 Post by Todd P. »

angarles
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#11 Post by angarles »

I liked the Snyder Cut. Although too long, the characters and story were well rounded and made more sense.
His was a tale of sorrow...

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#12 Post by Todd P. »

Todd P. wrote:I'll bet a nickel -- but not a dime -- that the next bad decision will be to put Joss Whedon fully in charge of what happens with the team next, deciding he's not to blame for this mess. Even though he is.
Called this one wrong, didn't I? Whedon is actually disgraced as he deserves.

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#13 Post by timetraveler »

I was hoping to see the two additional ZSJL sequels but it looks like Warner Media has completely different plans, more along the lines of Marvel, with many, many different versions and formats. Look for lots more Shazam.
Last edited by timetraveler on March 25th, 2021, 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#14 Post by Misellus »

I liked it better than the original although they did remove one of my favorite scenes (Aquaman sitting on the lasso and telling everyone how he feels).

I watched it over 2 nights with my stopping point right before they resurected superman. It seemed a good spot.

m-
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt