What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

A new Predator movie?

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Re: A new Predator movie?

#61 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Well, having watched this for a second time (yeah – I know! Image ) . . . the list of bad/dumb/idiotic/insulting is really pissing us off (lol) – so I’ll write that up another time.

There were SO many ways they could have delivered something better – including multiple ideas that could have been adapted or directly lifted from the novels or comics.

I know things went haywire during production and this needed re-shoots, but even if they had kept the first hour, the last 40mins could have been way WAY better than the abortion it was.

I hope they cut the last 5 minutes (from the start of the handkerchief scene) COMPLETELY from the Blu-Ray release - they are THAT bad!

(* sigh *) . . . here’s what we felt was done well . . . (* obviously - MAJOR spoilers again *)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#62 Post by tay666 »

Todd P. wrote:
scuzzfink85 wrote:I think OneEye you need time out before you give yourself a heart attack
It's a movie calm down..
Scuzz, buddy, with all due affection, do you get the irony of you telling someone he complains too much?
I almost commented about that yesterday when I read it :)

(Scuzz - not meant as a dig at you, just at the irony of the situation)
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Heavy Metal Spike

#63 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Well - it's took a fair bit of its supposed $88 million budget back already - http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/9 ... wide-debut

• "20th Century Fox‘s The Predator opened in the #1 position at the domestic box office, bagging a trophy to the tune of $24.2 million for the three day weekend. This is on par with 2010’s Predators (the last entry in the series), and just under the original Predator‘s opening weekend when factoring in inflation adjustments (the film opened to $12 million in June of 1987, equal to $26.6 million in 2018). Internationally the film added another $30 million for a global total of $54 million . . . "

. . . I can see this nosediving over the next week though.

In further news . . .

• " . . . A GoFundMe page has been set up to hire a contract killer to "remove" Director Shane Black, co-writer Fred Dekker, and (as yet unnamed) Fox executives . . . "

Heavy Metal Spike

#64 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Not safe for work + politically incorrect + contains a couple of spoilery-type-thingies - but it's LYAO funny . . .

Hitler Reacts To Shane Blacks Predator Movie . . .

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#65 Post by Tiger2 »

Went to see it yesterday with wife and 2 sons in tow! Oh dear, I wouldn't say we hated it, it had some action, some blood, some nice space ships and a few gags, but didn't really seem to know what type of film it wanted to be. It just confirms once again that if you have a bland, disjointed story and script and then edit it badly as well, no amount of special effects or cgi will save the day. :(

I came away thinking, are we expecting too much? After all, the first film was a little wooden on the acting, but works so well because it's Arnie, it's what we expect, it stayed focussed, was bolted down with a solid story line and didn't try and be ET or Close Encounters at the same time. I watched the original again the same evening as medicine to help me get back in a positive frame of mind for the model of the Pred I'm building! It still stands up as a great movie and gets across that helpless fear of being hunted by something highly lethal.

maybe there should be a team that protects these franchises from anything or anyone that doesn't do them justice! As with Alien Covenant, another film I looked forward to for a long time and walked out feeling frustrated and very underwhelmed.

Mark Kermode's review sums it all up pretty well - www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjbjqtk5KPg

Captain disappointed (Paul)

Heavy Metal Spike

#66 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tiger2 wrote: . . . It just confirms once again that if you have a bland, disjointed story and script and then edit it badly as well, no amount of special effects or cgi will save the day . . .
Exactly.

Fox really haven't got a clue - we got Prometheus, then Covenant, now THIS!

They have no excuse - it's down to Black & Dekker for coming up with this crap, and whoever at Fox greenlit the original script.
    • . . . and these people do this for a living for Christ's sake!
Sadly, I think we all have to accept the reality that it's going to be a LONG time until we see another Predator movie.

PS: - watch Predator 2 for inspiration too - I actually give that the edge over Predator (* gasp *) (* sacrilege *)

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#67 Post by Ant »

Saw it at the weekend. Was entertained for most of it, but never liked the look of the super pred from the trailers, or his companions.

The original will always be The Predator for me in terms of the creature, but I think P2 is the better film. Mostly because I think Arnie is actually an awful actor!

Paul, didn't know you were a church member. HTJI!!

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#68 Post by Tiger2 »

[quote
PS: - watch Predator 2 for inspiration too - I actually give that the edge over Predator (* gasp *) (* sacrilege *)
.[/quote]

I agree Ian, no sacrilege there! Predator 2 is a fine example of a sequel that took the original idea to the next level while maintaining an original and solid story, cool creature designs and hinting at the Predator clan's hierarchy and antics on other worlds while delivering plenty of blood and horror. Sorted! :D

Heavy Metal Spike

#69 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tiger2 wrote: . . . Mark Kermode's review sums it all up pretty well . . .
We're gonna have to agree to disagree on THAT Paul :)

I've just watched the "review". O. M. G. I found it ironic that a review of a movie having so many faults . . . had so many faults :lol:

I'd estimate this idiot was talking out his arse about 85% of the time. Even "The Predator" would get a higher grade than 15%
    • (* you're still in my gang in the playground though :) *)

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#70 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Maybe a unrated directors cut would fix what fox meddle with?
Last edited by scuzzfink85 on September 22nd, 2018, 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

Heavy Metal Spike

#71 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

scuzzfink85 wrote:Maybe a unrated directors cut would fix what foox meddle with?
They could connect a few of the dots and make things less jumpy, but there is SO much wrong with the last 40 minutes.

I couldn't bring myself to type up all the silliness and questions I had - it was too disheartening Image

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#72 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Shane clout in hollywood wait see I guess
I want sequel to predators.. what happened to the last people left on the planet?
I still the sequence from alien vs predator Requiem the home planet..
Was the best.
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

Heavy Metal Spike

#73 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

It was Shane's clout that resulted in the mess we were given - that and Dekkers consistently lousy scriptwriting (al-la Monster Squad and Robocop 3!) - so I don't hold out much hope.

There are lots of us that would like a sequel to Predators, AND that agree with you regarding that sequence at the start of AVP-R (Wolf's scenes were the only decent bits in the entire movie).

As I said above - they should also cherry-pick from the comics or novels.

Heavy Metal Spike

#74 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Still doing OK apparently . . .

I think the marketing is included in the budget provided (don't know for sure though).

Someone was claiming they would need a worldwide gross of 300 million to break even - I don't think that's right, but I honestly have no idea how to use the figures for gross ticket sales + eventual DVD/Blu-Ray sales + streaming sales to come up with a "break even" point.

Maybe there's an "average" that can be applied to estimate break-even point? - someone else suggested "double the budget" Image

Heavy Metal Spike

#75 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

This fella draws reasonable conclusions about the re-writes of the 3rd act (etc.) (NB: some spoilery-type-thingies in here too)

The prequel novel (which is darn good by the way) shows the antagonistic relationship between Woodhurst & Traeger - so I would have liked to have seen Edward James Olmos' character "off" Sterling K Brown's. Would have been a nice bit of payback for Traeger's sleazy/manipulative behaviour in both the novel AND the movie.

Having said that - the overall ideas for both the original 3rd act AND the one we got BOTH suck.

This also emphasises just how much BS was coming from Black and the studios about the reshoots.

Mark M
Site Admin
Wizard of Washes

#76 Post by Mark M »

Which is why… I "personally" steer away from remakes / re-do's of films. 99% of time they just plain suck, IMHO of course. 8)

Heavy Metal Spike

#77 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Mark M wrote:Which is why… I "personally" steer away from remakes / re-do's of films. 99% of time they just plain suck, IMHO of course. 8)
This one did OK then - it only sucks 40% of the time :)

Heavy Metal Spike

#78 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Added $21 million over the last 7 days . . .

monsterjones
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#79 Post by monsterjones »

I Loved it!! Keep it going! I am still hopeful for this Predator vs Aliens story on screen:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_vs ... el_series)
To change one's life:
Start immediately, Do it flamboyantly, No exceptions.

Heavy Metal Spike

#80 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Added $10 million over the last 2 weeks.

We're now a month after release, and it's almost matched the worldwide gross of the last 2 movies.

However, THIS cost an estimated $50 million more to make than each of those two!

I think the only way they can rescue this financially would be to make sure the BluRay has BOTH versions of what was filmed - the cinematic release AND the one they showed to test audiences before the massive re-shoots that resulted in the jumbled mess we got. At least that way, curiosity might encourage extra purchases.

Peeing on the graves of Black + Decker + those enabling Fox execs . . . is now on the bucket list of more than a few Predator fans Image