What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Love, Death & Robots - Netflix

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Re: Love, Death & Robots - Netflix

#21 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tim Fortuna wrote: . . . Now someone tell me what esoteric means? I have a feeling only a few people know.
Agreed, and I'd tell you, but the explanation would be a bit cryptic.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Heavy Metal Spike

#22 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Just TEN days until season 3 hits Netflix (Fri 20th May 2022) Image :hot: :hot: :hot:

Trailer :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2b0swdpX8

Overview of each of the NINE episodes follows (I've already contacted my folks in Scotland to warn them regarding S03E07):

• 1) Three Robots: Exit Strategies
    The first direct sequel in Love, Death + Robots history – from the mind of acclaimed sci-fi novelist John Scalzi. The titular trio of droll droids returns to take a whirlwind tour studying post-apocalyptic human survival strategies before mankind was finally snuffed out.

2) Bad Travelling
    A jable shark-hunting sailing vessel is attacked by a giant crustacean whose size and intelligence is matched only by its appetite. Mutiny, betrayal and ventriloquism with a corpse… welcome aboard the animation directing debut of David Fincher.

3) The Very Pulse Of The Machine
    When an exploratory expedition on the surface of the moon Io ends in disaster, an astronaut must trek to safety dragging the body of her co-pilot while using potentially mind-warping drugs to deal with the pain of her own injuries in this trippy tribute to comic book legend Moebius.

4) Night of the Mini Dead
    The apocalypse is conceived – literally – in a graveyard in this biting zombie satire, which starts with some cheeky cemetery sex and accelerates into a walking dead invasion of everywhere – from downtown LA to the Vatican. It’s the end of the world as we gnaw it.

5) Kill Team Kill
    Young, dumb and full of… blood, lots and lots of blood, a ‘roid-raging, adrenaline-fuelled force of US soldiers faces a foe unlike any they have faced before, the result of a CIA experiment that gets really effin' Grizzly. From the director of Kung Fu Panda 2.

6) Swarm
    A story of fear, sex and philosophy on the farthest frontier, as two post-human scientists study an apparently mindless insectoid-race. Tim Miller writes and directs the first ever screen adaptation of the work from renowned Cyberpunk author Bruce Sterling.

7) Mason’s Rats
    You know you have a pest control problem when they start to shoot back. The ratpocalypse comes to Scotland, as a grumpy farmer takes drastic steps to deal with an invasion of hyper-evolved rodents. Exterminator: Judgment Day.

8) In Vaulted Halls Entombed
    Deep in the mountains of Afghanistan, a squad of Special Forces soldiers has the dangerous job of recovering a hostage held by terrorists. But the real evil they must confront is an elder god of ancient and terrifying power.

9) Jibaro
    Fantasy and greed combine in this re-imagining of the traditional folktale of a siren whose song lures men to their doom. But her sorcery fails to work on the deaf knight, Jibaro, and the Golden Woman becomes fascinated by him. Thus begins a deadly dance of two predators.

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#23 Post by Buc Wheat »

woot!

Heavy Metal Spike

#24 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Comments for each of the NINE episodes follows - I loved this season as much as the other 2 - the stories are VERY clever and the various styles of animation are amazing. Plus the scattered humour is SO on-point and perfectly timed - I laughed over and over.

This truly is the best format for ideas like these . . . no need to stretch them out into 30-minute TV episodes or (even worse) 1½-2hr movies when you can pack such a powerful punch in a shorter timeframe. I just wish the seasons were released with a greater frequency (but I can only imagine how much time it takes to create these masterpieces).

I really can't recommend all 3 seasons enough - much like "Peacemaker" - these are a current-day beacon of talent & entertainment amidst a swamp of mediocrity & crap.

For me - episodes 2, 7 & 8 are at the top of the pile for this season =D> :hot: :thumb2:

• 1) Three Robots: Exit Strategies
    The first direct sequel in Love, Death + Robots history – from the mind of acclaimed sci-fi novelist John Scalzi. The titular trio of droll droids returns to take a whirlwind tour studying post-apocalyptic human survival strategies before mankind was finally snuffed out.
    • :arrow: Funny, thought-provoking, great animation . . . and the ending made me laugh out loud! :D
    2) Bad Travelling
    A jable shark-hunting sailing vessel is attacked by a giant crustacean whose size and intelligence is matched only by its appetite. Mutiny, betrayal and ventriloquism with a corpse… welcome aboard the animation directing debut of David Fincher.
    • :arrow: Wow - STRAIGHT into the action :shock: Blimmin' scary in places & an awesome monster design. The lead character's voice & intonation reminded me of Adrien Brody doing his "educated bad ass" bit (a-la "Predators" and "Clean") - very effective. The longest episode, and deserving.
    3) The Very Pulse Of The Machine
    When an exploratory expedition on the surface of the moon Io ends in disaster, an astronaut must trek to safety dragging the body of her co-pilot while using potentially mind-warping drugs to deal with the pain of her own injuries in this trippy tribute to comic book legend Moebius.
    • :arrow: Yeah - easily recognisable art style. One of those typically weird "Heavy Metal" storylines that ends rather abruptly.
    4) Night of the Mini Dead
    The apocalypse is conceived – literally – in a graveyard in this biting zombie satire, which starts with some cheeky cemetery sex and accelerates into a walking dead invasion of everywhere – from downtown LA to the Vatican. It’s the end of the world as we gnaw it.
    • :arrow: Laughed my ass off at the first minute - and kept on laughing :rolf: - unique presentation of a familiar/overused topic - I loved it!
    5) Kill Team Kill
    Young, dumb and full of… blood, lots and lots of blood, a ‘roid-raging, adrenaline-fuelled force of US soldiers faces a foe unlike any they have faced before, the result of a CIA experiment that gets really effin' Grizzly. From the director of Kung Fu Panda 2.
    • :arrow: I've decided I need a device with a setting that transmits "f**k off" :lol: - loved this one too (including the easter eggs). "Sister" - more lols - and the best outro-credits music of the bunch Image
    6) Swarm
    A story of fear, sex and philosophy on the farthest frontier, as two post-human scientists study an apparently mindless insectoid-race. Tim Miller writes and directs the first ever screen adaptation of the work from renowned Cyberpunk author Bruce Sterling.
    • :arrow: Another abrupt ending, but you have to admire the imagination that comes up with stuff like this. The animation really transports you into the "world" of the story.
    7) Mason’s Rats
    You know you have a pest control problem when they start to shoot back. The ratpocalypse comes to Scotland, as a grumpy farmer takes drastic steps to deal with an invasion of hyper-evolved rodents. Exterminator: Judgment Day.
    • :arrow: Effin' BRILLIANT (I may be a bit accent & geographically biased here). "Duh ah reelly neyd all thus shyte?" Image . . . damn I miss the old country. WONDERFUL episode - for all sorts of reasons Image
    8) In Vaulted Halls Entombed
    Deep in the mountains of Afghanistan, a squad of Special Forces soldiers has the dangerous job of recovering a hostage held by terrorists. But the real evil they must confront is an elder god of ancient and terrifying power.
    • :arrow: The most realistic animation of the bunch :shocked2: =D> =D> =D> (along with E09) - and DEF creepy & intense 8-[ :look: - with what APPEARED to be a well-known mythical creature?
    9) Jibaro
    Fantasy and greed combine in this re-imagining of the traditional folktale of a siren whose song lures men to their doom. But her sorcery fails to work on the deaf knight, Jibaro, and the Golden Woman becomes fascinated by him. Thus begins a deadly dance of two predators.
    • :arrow: What you may initially think will be a repeat/variation of an oft-told story is actually VERY cleverly delivered. Again with the abrupt ending though.

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#25 Post by Buc Wheat »

Watched 6 so far. Enjoy these series.

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#26 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Great season, really enjoyed it.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

Stormheart
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#27 Post by Stormheart »

A really nice bounce back after what was (for me at least) a "so-so" season two. I really liked every story, but Mason's Rats was probably my favorite...
"So cry 'Crivens' and let loose the clan Mac Feegle!" - Tiffany Aching

Heavy Metal Spike

#28 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Renewed for a 4th season (yay!) :arrow: https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1234 ... rth-season

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#29 Post by Ant »

Absolutely loved the "style" of the last ep with the knight and siren, but they were all great

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#30 Post by AntMan »

I'm late arriving to this party.

I did a binge-watch of all three seasons a couple of weeks back, and I thought IT TOTALLY ROCKED!

I loved the diversity found in all of the stories. I loved the fact that all episodes are pretty short, and
tell their (complete) story in a pretty quick, straightforward way.

Some of those stories REALLY push the limits in terms of conceptualizing "What if" in Science Fiction.

Also, some of their stories could be expanded into their own full blown series.

All-in-all Love, "Death & Robots" was a very fun ride for me.
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com