What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

"The Expanse - SyFy / Amazon VOD"

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

"The Expanse - SyFy / Amazon VOD"

#1 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Zeiram wrote:Just finished binging The Expanse*, so I'll look at this next.

* If you haven't watched Expanse, you should. Really great SF series. The belter-speak is a little jarring at first, but you get used to it.
So funny - what a coincidence!

3 weeks ago I'd never heard of "The Expanse".

This announcement https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1043 ... -salgueiro got me curious and I bookmarked it.

The pic (which ironically, isn't really representative of the show at-all) was enough to make me dig a bit, THEN I found out that Thomas Jane was in it, read some reviews (which were GLOWING), and decided to give it a go.

Watched S01E01 Thu 28th Feb, and here I am, 14 days later, 29 episodes down, with S03E07 ready for tonight! One of the best sci-fi shows I've EVER seen.

SEVEN episodes left, and I'm going to be major pissed when I've watched S03E13 as no release date has yet been set for season 4.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Re: After Life - Netflix

#2 Post by Zeiram »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:The pic (which ironically, isn't really representative of the show at-all) was enough to make me dig a bit, THEN I found out that Thomas Jane was in it, read some reviews (which were GLOWING), and decided to give it a go.

Watched S01E01 Thu 28th Feb, and here I am, 14 days later, 29 episodes down, with S03E07 ready for tonight! One of the best sci-fi shows I've EVER seen.
The reason that photo looks different will become clear after you see the final episode of season 3. :) Really great series - right up there with Firefly IMO. I loved how much the show tried to capture how physiology and physics behave in space. Great plot, characters, and attention to detail all around.
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

Heavy Metal Spike

#3 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Zeiram wrote:The reason that photo looks different will become clear after you see the final episode of season 3. :)
Really great series - right up there with Firefly IMO. I loved how much the show tried to capture how physiology and physics behave in space.
Great plot, characters, and attention to detail all around.
Finished this off last night. There was a bit of a confusing "jump" part way through S03 (between E06 & E07) with a 18-month skip forward and the introduction of an onboard camera crew - but it settled down again.

Like Larry says - it's up there with "Firefly" (I still haven't watched the last episode of THAT, OR the movie, as I didn't want it to end! :( )

Not sure I understand about the photo? - that was taken from the start of S02E01 and was then added to the opening credits. What did I miss Larry? Image

Agree with the attention to detail - one great example was a scene with a supporting character crying, facing downwards, in minimal/zero gravity - the tears just built up in their eyes as a puddle - very nicely done.

The sets and effects are on a level that the latest Star Trek would be proud of - PERFECTLY done. The cast are perfect too. The plot (taken from very popular books) is nicely paced, and the twists & turns keep you hooked.

I'd recommend this to everyone that likes quality sci-fi, and am so glad I accidentally stumbled onto it. Really looking forward to Season 4.

PS: Thanks to Trev for the thread separation/creation :thumb2:

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#4 Post by Zeiram »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:Not sure I understand about the photo? - that was taken from the start of S02E01 and was then added to the opening credits. What did I miss Larry? Image
My bad, I thought you were posting a photo for the upcoming season on a new planet. Y'know the ring/hub opens up a ton of possibilities for the next season.

I think my favorite details were:

1) Reliance on mag boots
2) Shrapnel danger everywhere
3) Depressurizing ships prior to combat because of number 2 above
4) People generally being screwed when bleeding out in zero G

Bonus points for space mormons.

- larry
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

Heavy Metal Spike

Re: "The Expanse - SyFy / Amazon VOD"

#5 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Agreed on all points - including the "space Mormons" - lol.

Clever story on all sorts of levels - can't believe it took me 4 friggin' years years to clue in to its existence #-o :oops:

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by temperflash »

One scene had me puzzled. A guy working in vacuum in a space suit needed a pencil and realized he had left it behind his ear. He opened the face plate removed the pencil then closed the face plate again.
I know that an astronaut can work in high oxygen content air at pressure as low as 3 PSI if acclimated for some time. Explosive decompression wouldn't be a problem at such low pressures. Perhaps this was what was being demonstrated.
The lower the suit pressure the less tiring it is to perform tasks while suited up.

PS
I suspect that the old sci fi idea of the head swelling up and bursting in vacuum came from the way the flesh of a hard hat diver is forced up into his helmet by water pressure if the air pressure in the helmet suddenly drops. Apparently if the diver is at extreme depths the internal organs are compressed to a fraction of their bulk and forced up into the throat and eyes are forced from the sockets, among other indignities. Horrible but over with in seconds.

There are stories of all the soft tissues of the body being squeezed from the suit into the helmet like forcing tooth paste from a tube leaving only bones in the suit.

Heavy Metal Spike

#7 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Hell yeah!

Season 4 poster debut at San Diego Comic-Con.

Roll-on December 13th 2019 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

Heavy Metal Spike

#8 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

And already renewed for a FIFTH season! :bgrin:

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#9 Post by Otto69 »

temperflash wrote:One scene had me puzzled. A guy working in vacuum in a space suit needed a pencil and realized he had left it behind his ear. He opened the face plate removed the pencil then closed the face plate again.
I know that an astronaut can work in high oxygen content air at pressure as low as 3 PSI if acclimated for some time. Explosive decompression wouldn't be a problem at such low pressures. Perhaps this was what was being demonstrated.
The lower the suit pressure the less tiring it is to perform tasks while suited up.

PS
I suspect that the old sci fi idea of the head swelling up and bursting in vacuum came from the way the flesh of a hard hat diver is forced up into his helmet by water pressure if the air pressure in the helmet suddenly drops. Apparently if the diver is at extreme depths the internal organs are compressed to a fraction of their bulk and forced up into the throat and eyes are forced from the sockets, among other indignities. Horrible but over with in seconds.

There are stories of all the soft tissues of the body being squeezed from the suit into the helmet like forcing tooth paste from a tube leaving only bones in the suit.
The movie Outland was notorious for exploding organs in space scenes :). As far as I know though there's not an issue of exploding. The one thing I've read, and this was in a 1960's kids science book, is the fist of fluids 'boiling' in vacuum. The article had a photo of a guy in an OLD pressure suit and X-15 pilot style helmet, holding a cup of water in a vaccum chamber. But human fluids are not open to the air like that. Also note that vaccum is the exact opposite of water pressure, or even the pressure of the air column on earth, which is 14.7 PSI. So if you have a miles long tube that's 1 inch square inside, that air column will weight 14.7 lbs at sea level.

Under water, it's many tons PSI. The deep sea diver has to continually adjust the pressure in his suit to press out, against the water pressing in. If he's deep enough and that air pressure is lost and he can't shut off the valve, the water will push everything in his suit up into his helmet as the water pressure tries to press everything back up the air line.

Personally I found it hard to believe that a diver could be "buried in his helmet" but apparently it's very true. It's happened to Navy divers, and apparently the tenders have to clean out the helmet :(. And here's the Mythbusters video showing it in action. Gory.

This video shows the buildup and prep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsjGy_cU9Og

This video shows the squeeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8
Keep America Strong, Watch More Horror Movies!

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#10 Post by Buc Wheat »

Finished s4 last night. Really enjoy this series! Sad to see xxxxxxxxxxx go, though! :(

Heavy Metal Spike

#11 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Well THAT (Season 4) was just absolutely amazing !!!!!

Perfect in EVERY way.

Multiple overlapping and interconnected stories, all beautifully told, expertly acted, and flawlessly directed by extremely talented people :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

This show is everything that the boredalorian isn't - in a good way.
    • (* and boy was Murtry a nasty piece of work! :shock: *)
Thank Lemmy they've already started filming Season 5!

Heavy Metal Spike

#12 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Season 5 - December 16th 2020 Image Image Image Image Image

All hail Amazon PRIME for keeping this alive :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#13 Post by Buc Wheat »

now that was an interesting ending to season 5! :)

(btw, thought the battle scenes were confusing and really hard
to follow.)

Heavy Metal Spike

#14 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Planning on binge-watching these some time over the next couple of weeks.

I'd heard it was the expected high quality for the 1st 5 episodes, but went downhill after that. Guess I'll see.

I do know a character (actor) exit was somewhat forced on them (not the WAY it was portrayed, just the exit).

Heavy Metal Spike

#15 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Not sure why some folks were running down the episodes towards the tail-end of the season - I though the whole thing was (as usual) absolute premier-league entertainment.

Acting, scripting, effects, plot - EVERYTHING was off-the-charts superb.

Loved every specially-crafted moment =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: