What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Lovecraft Country?

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

Lovecraft Country?

#1 Post by Otto69 »

Anyone know anything about this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraft ... TV_series)

That it has the actor from Hap and Leonard (based on a Joe Lansdale series) gives me high hopes.
Keep America Strong, Watch More Horror Movies!

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Re: Lovecraft Country?

#2 Post by Zeiram »

The book (by Matt Ruff) was awesome. It’s an exploration of mid-20th century race relations and the “green book” travel guide set against the Lovecraft mythos - interesting because Lovecraft himself was a well known racist. It was a great read, and I’m looking forward to the adaptation.
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#3 Post by temperflash »

Read a book some years ago with Lovecraft's death or deaths in this case as a major plot device.
The book is "The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril".
It has elements from many pulp fiction horror and adventure series. A great fun read. Surprised it hasn't been filmed yet.

BTW
The title reminds me of a 40's detective film staring Boris Karloff.

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by temperflash »

Zeiram wrote:Lovecraft himself was a well known racist.
Apparently his racism mellowed out with age and his marriage to a Jewish woman.
Lovecraft was more a Xenophobe than anything else. Color wasn't a deciding factor. All immigrants were "the Other" in his mind.
Lovecraft as an atheist also fell into the mindset of Sir Richard burton and others who embraced Darwin in a loose manner to bolster their own prejudices. Darwin once said that man would evolve till "the lesser races" died out. He claimed later that he was misunderstood but the damage was done.
Pre WW2 America embraced a lot of pseudo science, Euthanasia and sterilization of what were considered inferiors was all the rage among the elitist. That included immigrants from Europe as well as Blacks.

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by LOBOREX »

temperflash wrote:
Zeiram wrote:Lovecraft himself was a well known racist.
Apparently his racism mellowed out with age and his marriage to a Jewish woman.
Lovecraft was more a Xenophobe than anything else. Color wasn't a deciding factor. All immigrants were "the Other" in his mind.
Lovecraft as an atheist also fell into the mindset of Sir Richard burton and others who embraced Darwin in a loose manner to bolster their own prejudices. Darwin once said that man would evolve till "the lesser races" died out. He claimed later that he was misunderstood but the damage was done.
Pre WW2 America embraced a lot of pseudo science, Euthanasia and sterilization of what were considered inferiors was all the rage among the elitist. That included immigrants from Europe as well as Blacks.
Please don't, i love me some lovecraft horror but the man was not just racist he was virulently racist and throw in fascist to boot. In his 1912 poem entitled “On the Creation of Niggers,” the gods, having just designed Man and Beast, create blacks in semi-human form to populate the space in between. He said after Hitler became chancellor of Germany. “I know he’s a clown but god I like the boy.
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by temperflash »

"“On the Creation of Niggers,” the gods, "
Gods that he never believed existed at all. Like I said his attitude towards "the other" was based on the elitist pseudo science promoted by the Anthropological Societies of his time going back to Darwin's own public statements.
The Mountains of Madness makes it plain that he saw the entire human race as merely an experiment by superior beings.
As for Hitler he was far more popular with intellectuals of the 30's than we of today can comprehend, since we have the advantage of being able to look back on just what came of his "immature" scheming, something people in the pre WW2 world did not foresee.
If Lovecraft were a NAZI would he have married a Jewish woman?
Like I said his racism mellowed with age. Never said he abandoned it completely.
Its not , and unlikely to ever be, the B&W issue people of today would like for it to be.

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#7 Post by LOBOREX »

temperflash wrote:"“On the Creation of Niggers,” the gods, "
Gods that he never believed existed at all. Like I said his attitude towards "the other" was based on the elitist pseudo science promoted by the Anthropological Societies of his time going back to Darwin's own public statements.
The Mountains of Madness makes it plain that he saw the entire human race as merely an experiment by superior beings.
As for Hitler he was far more popular with intellectuals of the 30's than we of today can comprehend, since we have the advantage of being able to look back on just what came of his "immature" scheming, something people in the pre WW2 world did not foresee.
If Lovecraft were a NAZI would he have married a Jewish woman?
Like I said his racism mellowed with age. Never said he abandoned it completely.
Its not , and unlikely to ever be, the B&W issue people of today would like for it to be.
I just do not have the patience anymore to deal with this kind of apologist sophistry. The man was a racist antisemitic d*ckhead, talented but still a d*ckhead. And you do no one any favors by trying to lessen that fact.
Helena is here at hand;

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#8 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#9 Post by LOBOREX »

Helena is here at hand;

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#10 Post by temperflash »

Well lets start a list
HP Lovecraft
Robert Heinlein
Robert E Howard
Edgar Rice Burroughs

You can add almost every author of pre 1970 to the list.

Really don't see how anyone could consider this a debate. It's just a recitation of facts.

Heavy Metal Spike

#11 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Episode 3 was tonight.

I wasn't sure after the first episode - the (fictional yet uncomfortably believable) portrayal of the racism in the Jim Crow 50's made me feel extremely uneasy - but that was likely the idea.

I'm glad I stuck with it though . . . episodes 2 & 3 were much more watchable and this has now become a "must see" series for me.

Production values & acting are out of this world (pun slightly intended).

Highly recommended to anyone who likes sci-fi and/or horror.

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#12 Post by LOBOREX »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:.

Episode 3 was tonight.

I wasn't sure after the first episode - the (fictional yet uncomfortably believable) portrayal of the racism in the Jim Crow 50's made me feel extremely uneasy - but that was likely the idea.

I'm glad I stuck with it though . . . episodes 2 & 3 were much more watchable and this has now become a "must see" series for me.

Production values & acting are out of this world (pun slightly intended).

Highly recommended to anyone who likes sci-fi and/or horror.

Glad you stuck with it, i'm really loving it so far.
Helena is here at hand;

Heavy Metal Spike

#13 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S01E04 - "A History of Violence"

Just like the previous 3 episodes in that it is WONDERFUL escapism (pun TOTALLY intended), and premier quality acting, cinematography etc.

Totally unlike the previous 3 episodes in that every episode has taken a leap into new territory (pun POSSIBLY intended).

A wee bit of "Indiana Jones meets the Relic" - but in Boston.

SOOOOOOOOOO glad I forced myself to keep watching after the first episode. Totally hooked.

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#14 Post by LOBOREX »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:.

S01E04 - "A History of Violence"

Just like the previous 3 episodes in that it is WONDERFUL escapism (pun TOTALLY intended), and premier quality acting, cinematography etc.

Totally unlike the previous 3 episodes in that every episode has taken a leap into new territory (pun POSSIBLY intended).

A wee bit of "Indiana Jones meets the Relic" - but in Boston.

SOOOOOOOOOO glad I forced myself to keep watching after the first episode. Totally hooked.

Agreed very cool episode. Not related but check this out. http://theclubhouse1.net/phpBB3/viewtop ... 3&t=122624
Helena is here at hand;

Heavy Metal Spike

#15 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S01E05 - "Strange Case"

And yet another variation on the theme.

I question the historical accuracy & likelihood of a black drag club/bar being able to exist back in the mid-1950's, but maybe I'm not as informed as I thought I was.

Although . . . given the OTT-ness of the rest of the content . . . why the heck was it THAT that I questioned :shock: :? Image :lol:

Very clever (and shocking) episode - that final transformation (pun once again TOTALLY intended) REALLY caught me by surprise! =D> =D> =D>

Sing it with me - "I've got yooooouuuuuuuuuu - under my skin . . . " :wink:

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#16 Post by LOBOREX »

Over the f***ing top and awesome. And Ian those kind of establishments have always been around.
Helena is here at hand;

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#17 Post by Buc Wheat »

Haven't watched this yet... is it on a cable network, or TNT or CW-type channel?

(btw, love how some like to attach 2020 morality on past figures... cracks me up!)

Heavy Metal Spike

#18 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Buc Wheat wrote:Haven't watched this yet... is it on a cable network, or TNT or CW-type channel? . . .
CRAVE in Canada, HBO in the States.
Buc Wheat wrote:(btw, love how some like to attach 2020 morality on past figures... cracks me up!)
I think that's called "presentism" (I have trouble keeping track of the latest so-called isms & ists). Since this is set in the past - no "presentism" included.

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#19 Post by LOBOREX »

Buc Wheat wrote:Haven't watched this yet... is it on a cable network, or TNT or CW-type channel?

(btw, love how some like to attach 2020 morality on past figures... cracks me up!)
I do not know if that was in reference to my post but if it was i was not trying to ( attach 2020 morality on past figures) My argument is with trying to whitewash the past with statements like oh he wasn't that racist when the person in question was a complete and total racist.
Helena is here at hand;

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#20 Post by Buc Wheat »

LOBOREX wrote:(btw, love how some like to attach 2020 morality on past figures... cracks me up!)
the person in question was a complete and total racist.
again, says someone in 2020... but maybe in his time, he wasn't as racists as other people.
Who knows...in his time, he shows up about a 2 on the 1-10 scale! :)

Will check out HBO and see if I can catch it on demand.