What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

WBTV/??? - DC's TITANS === OMG!

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

WBTV/??? - DC's TITANS === OMG!

#1 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

This has now been running for FIVE weeks (as of tonights episode), and given the number of comic fans we have here I'm quite surprised that no-one else has yet created a thread about this.

Full disclosure up front (* this shows how DAMN good this is ! *) . . .
  • • I was never really a DC comics fan.
    • Only stuff I ever read was Lobo (go figure! :) ) and "The New Teen Titans" when Wolfman/Pérez were doing it (same time as the awesome Claremont/Byrne/Austin X-Men that made Wolverine so popular).
    • Gave up on TNTT after a couple of years as I thought it lost it's way.
    • Always had a soft spot for Starfire though.

So - this series gets announced, and I assumed it would be similar to the Arrow / Flash / Legends Of Tomorrow / Supergirl (etc.) crap that pass for superhero entertainment on mainstream TV.
        • . . . I could not have been more wrong :oops: :shock:

This is in the same league as the Netflix shows . . . just the RIGHT level of violence and "realism", combined with amazing direction, acting, scripting and casting.

The only time I felt "meh" was due to the fight choreography a few minutes into episode 2. The rest is just PERFECT.

Tonights episode E05 - Together was truly AMAZING.

Everybody plays their roles SO well - but the standout for me is Anna Diop as Koriand'r / Starfire. The womans sex-appeal oozes through the screen and is undeniable - she could not be more perfect for the role. Sassy, confident and a TOTAL bad-ass. She completely steals EVERY scene she is in. The first manifestation of her powers in E01 is stunning.

There is liberal use of 1970's music - Disco & otherwise - and although I hate to admit it - it works REALLY well. Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" is used during "that" E01 Starfire scene and gave me serious chills - fits hand-in-glove!

I hope some more of you ARE watching this - because it's WAY too good to miss.

Trust me - as I said - I'm NOT a DC fan - but this is special! - NOT your average TV superhero show - this baby has serious attitude & BITE !!!!!!!

The first season is only 10 episodes, - so thank Lemmy they have already greenlit the 2nd season.

• S01E01 - "Titans"
        • S01E02 - "Hawk and Dove"
            • S01E03 - "Origins"
                • S01E04 - "Doom Patrol"
                    • S01E05 - "Together"

Last edited by Heavy Metal Spike on September 28th, 2019, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: WBTV/Netflix - DC's TITANS === OMG!

#2 Post by LOBOREX »

Had me after the line in the first episode where greyson utters two words about his former mentor. :batlogo:
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

Heavy Metal Spike

#3 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

LOL - hadn't realised I'd not posted about the rest of season 1 (which was AWESOME!) . . .and we're now into season 2 :oops:

Tonight was various beers, chips, friends, AND S02E03.

Forget the first episode of season 3 (a follow-on from the last episode of season 1 - BOTH were AWFUL!) . . . as S02E02 and S02E03 are friggin' PERFECT examples of casting/direction etc. etc. etc.

So glad "TITANS are back bitches!" :wink: :D

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by Buc Wheat »

I couldn't find it on Netflix... is it just on the DC streaming chnl?

Heavy Metal Spike

#5 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Buc Wheat wrote:I couldn't find it on Netflix... is it just on the DC streaming chnl?
I'm not sure for the States.

For Canada distribution, I originally thought it was on Netflix, but when Season 1 started transmission - I realised it wasn't #-o - I'll change the thread title (sorry).

I watch at a friends place and he gets his stuff via various means (including a satellite feed) so haven't got a clue what channels/distributors his package includes.

brucebishoputah
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

Re: WBTV/??? - DC's TITANS === OMG!

#6 Post by brucebishoputah »

I bought the dvd set. In 2 days I'm going to buy the Doom Patrol dvd set.

I very much like Titans, but the look of Starfire just kicks me in the face every time she's on. The only time she vaguely looks like Starfire is when she's exhibiting her powers. The actress does a fine job, it's just her look. Visually, think 1970's black hooker in her 'human' look. As Starfire exhibiting her powers, they color up her image enough that she looks ok.

To me, Starfire is orange skinned, reddish haired. Lots of black/asian/other actresses who could have done a good job as this character while already having a much closer look to the comic book heroine.

I don't mind a black woman being Starfire, just one so dark black when she didn't look like that in the comics. Every time she was on it kicked me out of the viewing experience.

Other characters in Titans had a reasonable look to the comics. Robin/Nightwing Jason Todd Robin, Hawk and (the later, female) Dove, Doom Patrol, etc. And I'm really looking forward to getting to see the Doom Patrol as soon as I can get it here.

I've been reading comic books since 1960 and these things do affect my perceptions of what I'm watching. I'm steeped enough in 'Infinite Earths/Elseworlds/etc.' that most changes don't bother me, but some I find are very jarring. This Starfire is one of those cases.

I did very much enjoy the series though and plan on buying any other seasons that come out!

Heavy Metal Spike

Re: WBTV/??? - DC's TITANS === OMG!

#7 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

I still like the way Cory (Starfire) is being portrayed - S02E05 was out last night - and she looks great. I also think the cliffhanger (sort of pun / sort of not intended) at the end of the episode could well be resolved by us seeing a manifestation of her powers we haven't encountered yet.

I'm loving this new season - it's even better than the first - VERY emotional/shocking in places.

Deathstroke is a great "prime" bad-guy, the entire cast is PERFECT, and the lass who plays Dove (Minka Kelly) is toe-curlingly seductive/erotic without trying to play the vamp - her voice and facial mannerisms just draw you in.