What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Joker

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Scott M
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Joker

#1 Post by Scott M »

Still on the fence about going to see this. Got a feeling I like the film's influences a lot more than I'll like the movie itself.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls025720609/v ... k_jkt1_i_1

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

Re: Joker

#2 Post by Todd P. »

I'm holding off, possibly forever. Not certain why but the movie doesn't interest me much. I'm not hostile toward it as I have been toward other recent DC movies, and I enjoy Joaquin Phoenix.

It surprises me to realize that I've been oversaturated with comic-inspired movies. I've had all the Superman, Batman, Avengers and X-Men I want, unless it's something special.

Not complaining, there's a long list of superhero movies I've enjoyed in the last 15 to 20 years.

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#3 Post by Misellus »

I wouldn't worry about being over-saturated with superhero movies, this thing is anything but...movies it links to closest in my mind is Falling Down and the original Death Wish series.

Warning: here be spoilers

If it wasn't called Joker there wouldn't be much to link it. Even the killer clown angle could just be pointed at John Wayne Gacy and not a comic book.

Everything I heard about the movie before I saw it was wrong or very exagerated. He doesn't go on a killing spree, he kills 6 people total. The "spree" would be shooting 3 of them while laying on the floor getting kicked in the head by the guys he shoots. Sorry, I consider it justified and he'd likely have gotten off on self-defense if charged (except for the third guy, he did chase one in order to shoot him)

2 of the remaining 3 killings were people who bullied him.

The incel angle?? Not IMO. Sex never even came up in the movie. The closest I can come up with is most of the people he killed would be Chads who thought they had the right to pick on him for being different.

My take-away from the movie is Don't f*** with people or you'll eventually find the wrong kind of crazy and get f***** in return. This movie shows why events like Columbine happen. The bullies eventually find the wrong kind of crazy.

"What do you get when you cross a mentally ill loner with a society that abandons him and treats him like trash?"
"You get what you deserve."

In truth, I'm disappointed in the movie. I expected more death. Based on the reviews about how violent it was, I expected him to kill the audience during his TV debut. I expected him to gas a trainload of people on the subway with toxic purple laughing gas. I expected more than a little dance.

Spider-Man killed more "people" in 10 seconds during Endgame than Joker did in his entire movie.
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

TeddyNovak
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#4 Post by TeddyNovak »

I saw it and liked it. I don't know I don't find it disturbing or mind altering. I do think it could have been made as a stand alone and not necessarily incorporated "The Joker" into it however the fact that they did makes is more interesting to me. Hope he appears in a Batman movie.

As a rule I like the DC comic movies better than Marvel (I know I am in the minority) especially the later ones. Didn't like the Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney Batman movies at all but did enjoy all the Nolan ones. Loved Watchmen.

Anyway I would recommend the movie. It is good.

"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days" - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by Buc Wheat »

I never really liked Joaquin Phoenix. (not sure if it's due to the 1st time
I saw him in Gladiator and he did such a great acting job playing the emperor,
who I didn't like and he's just suffering for it!) :)

Plus, how can you have a Joker w/out a Batman?!

But will watch it when it comes on cable/streaming.

Scott M
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#6 Post by Scott M »

Went to see it with my brother yesterday and it was pretty much as I expected. Phoenix is excellent, and I loved the gritty cinematography, but the story itself is a complete mash-up of "Taxi Driver" and "The King of Comedy" with a nod to "Psycho", "Death Wish", Bernhard Goetz, and smidgen of Andy Kaufman thrown in. I also thought a couple of plot elements were a real stretch - The Clown Posse and Joker's appearance on the De Niro talk show are completely forced and without justification - the latter a very clumsy ripoff of "The King of Comedy" that just sort of lies there - the audience knows what's coming and there is no sense of tension or danger. It just happens because the writers don't know what to do with it and are ripping off much better source material where it DID work.

Again, Phoenix is excellent and probably 95% of the audience who will see this movie have never seen "Taxi Driver" or "The King of Comedy" so I guess it will come off as fresh to them.

I'll stick with the movie's cinematic sources.

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#7 Post by scuzzfink85 »

I would recommend seeing the the Killing Joke dc animated movie.
As far as killing whole audience The Dark Knight Rises dc animated movie
The Joker does that and more. :shock:
One bad day....
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#8 Post by Todd P. »

News of the Batman/Batgirl sex scene so disgusted me that I swore never to do anything to support the Killing Joke movie.

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#9 Post by Todd P. »

News of the Batman/Batgirl sex scene so disgusted me that I swore never to do anything to support the Killing Joke movie.

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#10 Post by Otto69 »

Todd P. wrote:News of the Batman/Batgirl sex scene so disgusted me that I swore never to do anything to support the Killing Joke movie.
So they had Batsex?
Keep America Strong, Watch More Horror Movies!

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#11 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Yes they did... Check one of the things todd, doesn't dig.
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021