What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

The Mandalorian

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Re: The Mandalorian

#41 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tim Fortuna wrote:Image
Good to see Dillon's arm got better - but I'm a bit suspicious given the way he's supporting it.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Heavy Metal Spike

#42 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S02E01 - "The Marshall" (oh yeah - I spelled it the proper way!)

Well - the season has opened with an episode that I thought was better than any episode from Season 1.

I cringed a bit during parts of the first 12mins though - due to some bad acting/direction (that lass from the 1st season that looks like Whitesnake's drummer didn't help) AND (for Lemmy's sake) drop the droid humour . . . SOOOOO out of place & uncomfortable to watch (on a par with some Anthony Daniels / C3PO scenes).

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#43 Post by Tim Fortuna »

I hear ya Spike. Some pretty cool parts and some that were questionable. That ending got me really excited though.
Some of the new music felt a bit out of place for me. Kinda like the Ladyhawke soundtrack, didn't really fit.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#44 Post by Buc Wheat »

Get to spend quality time on Arrakis!! :) Ohhhhhhh yea!!

Wasn't fond of the acid spray... kinda laughed when his armour wasn't affected...
not even the leather straps!!! wow! <smirk>

Agree with the bad acting on her part... wasn't impressed w/ her the 1st time
we meet her and this visit didn't improve my opinion!

and my gawd... did Oliphant look like his Mom dressed him for halloween with
home made mandalorian armour!!??! He looked so small and funny looking!

The guest reveal totally went over my head! Wasn't til I saw it trending this
morning. Getting old! :)

Heavy Metal Spike

#45 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

The acid thingy - yeah - indestructible leather - there were raised eyebrows! :roll: :)

KathyD
Jack of all Trades

#46 Post by KathyD »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:The acid thingy
I kind of thought that was offensive vomiting to scare them off, i think some birds do it defensively...

Enjoyed Ep1, picked up a few references back to A New Hope as its referred to these days - I just knew it as Star Wars.

Heavy Metal Spike

#47 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S02E02 - "The Passenger"

If you want "edge-of-your-seat" stuff, you can't get much better than the final 1/3 of this episode.

LOVED this one - and if the season continues like this I have hope for the entire franchise.

Wonderful stuff =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> - and the special-effects in this are SOOOOO friggin' impressive (I could have said "most impressive!" but then I would have got slapped).

I always try and choose pics from the end-credits (DAMN that artist is good - who is he?) that remind us of the episode whilst not giving too much away for those that haven't seen it yet . . . so here you go . . .

Heavy Metal Spike

#48 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S02E03 - "The Heiress"

My Son enjoyed this more than the last 2 because of the connections to the animated “Clone Wars” and “Rebels” TV series (which he’s watched & I haven’t).

But for me – this was easily the worst episode out of both seasons – PARTICULARLY the first half (but it was ALL bad):
  • • The voices for the squid things didn’t fit.
    • Usual share of plot inconsistencies & stupidity (E.G. the frog things & the lead character can now understand each-other).
    • The initial fight-scene was badly choreographed and directed, with totally out-of-place music (per Tim’s observation on S02E01 (see above), the music was bad for most of this episode).
    • The dialogue throughout sucked.
    • Acting was off-the charts awful - even Katie Sackhoff was terrible (yeah – that’s how bad the direction was!) Simon Kassianides and Titus Welliver (and the 2 empire pilots) were the ONLY saving graces acting-wise.
    • And AGAIN with the awful direction – terrible effort compared to the other episode Bryce Dallas Howard directed (S01E04 – “Sanctuary”) - perhaps she should stick to acting.
    • Some of the practical effects were god-awful too!
It was also spoiled to a degree because I found out what a small-minded, hate-mongering bigot Pedro Pascal is in real life. I’ve always thought he was the weak link as regards acting ability (some people can pull-off the “faceless in a costume” thing - others not-so-much [and yes - I know it's not ALWAYS him in the suit]) - and I certainly won’t mind if the character of “Din Djarin” gets re-cast or killed off. I’ll also be watching that death scene in Game Of Thrones S04E08 with a different perspective from now on.

Ah well – at least we’ve had 2 enjoyable episodes this season :roll:

Gina Carano – I salute you girl !!!! – and I look forward to whatever episode(s) you are in.

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#49 Post by Buc Wheat »

Yeah... wasn't impressed either. Plus was this really short, time wise this time around?
(will have to ck the run time, cuz it didn't seem long at all)

Besides the points you brought up, I also wondered how the 3 mandies knew he was
onboard that ship to just appear outta the blue like that?! And what...NO one else
keeps their helmet on??!??)

Never been a fan of Sackhoff (don't see what folks see in her...either looks or acting ability)
(probably jaded due to the fact I hate gender reversals on earlier characters)...but yikes,
she was terrible in this!

Rather see more sand worms if we're gonna get this! :)

Heavy Metal Spike

#50 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Buc Wheat wrote:Yeah... wasn't impressed either. Plus was this really short, time wise this time around? (will have to ck the run time, cuz it didn't seem long at all) . . .
Less than 29 minutes once you cut out the recap & credits. Hey - be thankful for small mercies!

Buc Wheat wrote: . . . Besides the points you brought up, I also wondered how the 3 mandies knew he was onboard that ship to just appear outta the blue like that?! And what...NO one else keeps their helmet on??!??) . . .
I am SO not going back to check, but I think they saw what was going on (from a distance) when the Razor Crest (with a transponder that was now miraculously working?!?! - ANOTHER plot inconsistency!) was hoisted out in the dredge net. They likely monitored things from that point on. But what do I know? - the whole thing was a bag of half-eaten worms.

As regards the helmet thing - they were claiming that it was a "cult" part of Mandalore culture that followed that dictate.

Buc Wheat wrote: . . . Never been a fan of Sackhoff (don't see what folks see in her...either looks or acting ability) (probably jaded due to the fact I hate gender reversals on earlier characters)...but yikes, she was terrible in this! . . .
Looks-wise she's not my type either, but acting-wise (the point here) - she's done some great work. IMO she was amazing in the 2004-2009 re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica, and her contribution as "Dahl" in 2014's "Riddick" was as perfect as casting gets. THIS however . . . critiquing Katie and most of the others . . . I've seen better acting (costumed or otherwise) in Teletubbies episodes (hey - I've got kids - I HAD to sit through some of those!)

Buc Wheat wrote: . . . Rather see more sand worms if we're gonna get this! :)
LOL on the "sand worms".

Heavy Metal Spike

#51 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S02E04 - "The Siege"

Much better than last-weeks god-awful episode.

HOWEVER, there was still plenty of lazy dialogue (E.G. “There they are – blast them!”), and all sorts of stupid plot holes that kept taking me out of the “experience”.

A few questions/observations:
  • • How does Mando get his hair cut? (maybe that's the real reason he keeps the helmet on - he's all divots & bald patches)
    • It was THAT easy to cause an entire installation to be destroyed – seriously? - no hardware/software security?
    • Darn fortunate they find the one message they needed in order to bring them up to speed on what was happening at the complex (geez!)
    • How WOULD they have managed if they didn’t take the blue guy in with them? (“Do this”. “Do that”. “Make breakfast while standing on 1 leg” OK – I made the last one up).
    • Mando flies up out of the trench at top speed and instantly shoots 2 stormtroopers he couldn’t POSSIBLY have seen given the speed he was travelling (either facepalm bad or he’s been hiding ESP traits under his helmet).
    • Why are stormtroopers such terrible shots (and hiders) – they might as well be fairground coconuts - “Lets stand in the open and shoot in the air while our opponents take cover” – yeah – guaranteed to work every time!
    • Warships start with no key or passcode – well that’s pretty secure!
    • Why do stormtroopers have armour if one shot kills them while wearing it?
    • All this sophisticated hardware and they still haven’t developed decent automatic targeting systems? (well – it IS a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away :roll: ).
    • Damn they repair spaceships FAST on Nevarro (slight case of “Game Of Thrones” time manipulation methinks).
Other disappointments:
  • • The letdown in the acting dept THIS time was Apollo Creed (he’s not been that impressive in his other appearances either). Maybe he had his hands full directing this one.
    • I hate that we have to settle for this stuff when this franchise has so much potential.
    • I think what’s really missing is a “team dynamic” to pull this together. Get Cara plus a couple of others on board permanently and things will improve drastically.
Good bits:
  • • The blue guy - he should be used more.
    • The CGI effects (SO good you can almost take them for granted now – perfectly executed every time).
    • Nice touch having Cara Dune being from Alderaan.
    • It’s official - I’m in love with Gina Carano - that woman is 100% class - great actress, stunning to look at, and someone who seems to be an awesome human being in real life to boot!

Heavy Metal Spike

#52 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S02E05 - "The Jedi"

Damn these things are SO mixed in quality . . . enjoyed everything about this weeks episode - and then some!

An almost unrecognisable Rosario Dawson & (ditto) Michael Biehn, who, along with Diana Lee Inosanto (usually a stunt lass / advisor - but wow she was great!) were all perfectly cast.

Don't know the character of Ahsoka Tano - but I was REALLY impressed!

Some lovely bits of fill-in information, and we got to find out our lil' green guy's name too.

This had a "real Star Wars" vibe to it - LOVED IT!

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#53 Post by Tim Fortuna »

One of the better episodes but the writing is really lacking IMO. Maybe I'm just really bitter by the end of the week. :roll:
Baby's name only reminds me of this.

"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

Heavy Metal Spike

#54 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tim Fortuna wrote: . . . Baby's name only reminds me of this . . .
I hear ya - this is the connection I kept making (not that I've watched the movie, but it's been mentioned here).

Crazy Joe
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#55 Post by Crazy Joe »

I'm late to this thread, but not the series - Overall, this has become the next "MUST SEE" TV for me - it has also SAVED STAR WARS for me after the WRETCHED, and I MEAN WRETCHED "Rise of Skywalker" - Also share the sentiment for Rosario Dawson as Ahsko Jedi Chick, and Katee Sackoff. And keep wanting to call Little Gorgu "Gorgo" as well....
crazy joe

"Many miles away----- something rises to the surface...

of a dark........

Scottish.......

lake............"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cjmodels/albums

Heavy Metal Spike

#56 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Crazy Joe wrote:I'm late to this thread, but not the series - Overall, this has become the next "MUST SEE" TV for me - it has also SAVED STAR WARS for me after the WRETCHED, and I MEAN WRETCHED "Rise of Skywalker"
- Also share the sentiment for Rosario Dawson as Ahsko Jedi Chick, and Katee Sackoff. And keep wanting to call Little Gorgu "Gorgo" as well....

No love for Gina "Miss drop-dead-gorgeous 2020" Carano !?!?!

Crazy Joe
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#57 Post by Crazy Joe »

Oh, I DO dig her, Spikey - but she is a little brawny for me...
crazy joe

"Many miles away----- something rises to the surface...

of a dark........

Scottish.......

lake............"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cjmodels/albums

Heavy Metal Spike

#58 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S02E06 - "The Tragedy"

Another episode I really enjoyed.

Great to see a revered character live up to a reputation that was never really earned in the original trilogy. He was a REAL bad-ass in this!

There were still the compulsory dumb/unexplained bits - like:
  • • Why didn't Boba Fett get his armour from the Marshall?
    • How do they control those jetpacks?
    • Why was Boba's ship never shot at?
Regardless - great fun!

Heavy Metal Spike

#59 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S02E07 - "The Believer"

. . . and they keep getting better and BETTER! (In fact - for me - this was the best episode to date [from both seasons]).

Great bit of backstory on a character from the 1st season - BEAUTIFULLY eased in to the proceedings. All the other supporting characters were also great. This show now has what it needed all-along - a TEAM!

Loved seeing Richard Brake ("Portman" from the DOOM movie - one of my guilty pleasures). Great actor.

And MAN did those trucks remind me of the style of designs Derek Meddings & his team came up with for most of Gerry Anderson's series (Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet et-al). So cool.

I got chills throughout this one (Gina Image ) - SO well done.

Krel
Finger Painter

#60 Post by Krel »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:.
There were still the compulsory dumb/unexplained bits - like:
  • • Why didn't Boba Fett get his armour from the Marshall?
    • How do they control those jetpacks?
    • Why was Boba's ship never shot at?
Perhaps the story didn't get out until Mando acquired it from the Marshall.

I would think it would be some type of neural interface.

Boba's ship wasn't fire on, because he didn't have what they wanted.

David.