What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

=== CLASSIC movies/TV you've watched during lockdown

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

=== CLASSIC movies/TV you've watched during lockdown

#1 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

The opposite (sort of) of the thread I started a few weeks back.

Extra time means stinkers (per the other thread) - but also gives time to re-watch (for the umpteenth time) some of the classics that have stood the test of time - and always will stand the test of time.
      • (* For the sake of reasonable demarcation - I'm randomly defining "classic" as being PRE-1985 *)
Here's the first of many that we've slotted in over the last few weeks . . . I effin' LOVE this movie - EVERYTHING about it.

• 1963 - The Great Escape
    • Perfect casting, acting, cinematography, script . . . the list goes on.

And DAMN - that music - gives me chills EVERY time. Ditto on the bike scene at the end.

Thank goodness that there have always been teams assembled that show how films SHOULD be made.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

belrog999
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Re: === CLASSIC movies/TV you've watched during lockdown

#2 Post by belrog999 »

Steve McQueen was great. I have all his films. One of my favorites is The Sand Pebbles. To answer your post we binged on Longmire, Dexter and Justified.
Steve
belrog

Stewart Jackson
Bishop of Build Ups

#3 Post by Stewart Jackson »

Love The Great Escape! You're right an excellent film as is The Sand Pebbles. I'll also offer this movie that McQueen co-stars in with Frank Sinatra- Never So Few. I have to say though my favorite McQueen film is Bullit.

Here's a film that many have probably not seen from 1971 called Brother John with Sidney Poitier. It's not a big budget film, but is well acted and while I'm not a religious person at all, it's message of taking care on how we judge people is a profound one. A bit of an In the Heat of the Night vibe, Brother John is a sleeper that will stay you.
Last edited by Stewart Jackson on August 7th, 2020, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Transylvania; land of dark forests and black unfathomed lakes......."

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#4 Post by Rocketeer »

I watched the 1954 Godzilla and its American cousin, Godzilla, King of the Monsters, on two successive nights. Made for an interesting comparison. The original, thanks to a couple early scenes, has a sort of eerie magical feeling that the American re-cut doesn't.

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by LOBOREX »

Stewart Jackson wrote: Here's a film that many have probably not seen from 1971 called Brother John with Sidney Poitier. It's not a big budget film, but is well acted and while I'm not a religious person at all, it's message of taking care on how we judge people is a profound one. A bit of an In the Heat of the Night vibe, Brother John is a sleeper that will stay you.
One of the films that i always bring up in conversations that almost no one has seen. Love it, the scenes between will geer and poitier alone are worth the price of admission. I think i read somewhere that no studio would touch it so poitier did it himself.
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

Heavy Metal Spike

#6 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

An amazing coincidence – it’s just over a year since I started this thread, and although I’ve watched a number of “classics” (per my own definition) over the last 12 months, it took THIS one (which I JUST finished watching again) to get off my arse and track the thread down, JUST as it was about to disappear onto page 2 :)

Another coincidence – it’s another WW2 movie – and this and the one in the initial post are part of a very small collection (maybe 5?) in that genre that I can stand to watch.

• 1970 – Kelly’s Heroes . . . 51 years young - where does the time go ?!?!?!

Adapted repeats from my 1st post . . .
  • • I effin' LOVE this movie - EVERYTHING about it.
    • DAMN - that music (Mr. Lalo Schifrin - the man is GOLD [no pun intended]) - gives me chills EVERY time. The tune is SO upbeat (despite the morose lyrics) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sCo5GaDq7k
    • Thank goodness that there have always been teams assembled that show how films SHOULD be made.
For ME, Eastwood is NOT the star here – that award goes to Mr. Donald Sutherland – his “Oddball” just makes the movie PERFECT.

PS: Tiger tanks RULE - still my all-time fave tank design - major badass!!!

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#7 Post by tay666 »

That is a great movie!
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

hellboy51
Finger Painter

#8 Post by hellboy51 »

Finally got my kids ages 9 and 13 to sit down and watch Clue. Once it got going they liked it and were throwing out their own guesses. They were confused at first since they have never played the game. Tim Curry was brilliant in that.
Don't panic. OK, you can panic a little.

Heavy Metal Spike

#9 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

hellboy51 wrote:Finally got my kids ages 9 and 13 to sit down and watch Clue. Once it got going they liked it and were throwing out their own guesses. They were confused at first since they have never played the game. Tim Curry was brilliant in that.
Love THAT movie too!

So many great actors/actresses - but Tim Curry tops them all.

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#10 Post by Buc Wheat »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:1970 – Kelly’s Heroes . . . 51 years young - where does the time go ?!?!?!

Adapted repeats from my 1st post . . .
  • • I effin' LOVE this movie - EVERYTHING about it.
    • DAMN - that music (Mr. Lalo Schifrin - the man is GOLD [no pun intended]) - gives me chills EVERY time. The tune is SO upbeat (despite the morose lyrics) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sCo5GaDq7k
    • Thank goodness that there have always been teams assembled that show how films SHOULD be made.
PS: Tiger tanks RULE - still my all-time fave tank design - major badass!
Funny, I was thinking of this movie (1 of my favorites as well) as I was watching a Robert Shaw,
Henry Fonda movie about Tiger Tanks the other day and Telly Savalas plays a Sherman Tank driver
much in the vein of the role he played in Kelly Heroes!

Kept waiting for colored paint and roaring music! :)

(and 'Burning Bridges' is a great song!)

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#11 Post by temperflash »

Loaded "Forbidden Planet" in the DVD player , but haven't felt like watching it just yet. That is one film that never gets old.
Found the old short run "Star Cops" TV series on Youtube and watched all 9 existing eps. They should reboot that series. The way the first series ended suggests to me that they already had at least some scripts ready for a second season.
Funny, I was thinking of this movie (1 of my favorites as well) as I was watching a Robert Shaw,
Henry Fonda movie about Tiger Tanks the other day and Telly Savalas plays a Sherman Tank driver
much in the vein of the role he played in Kelly Heroes!
Funny thing but that film "Battle of the Bulge" was on my mind just yesterday. I was thinking about the scene where Savalas' blown to heck tank drove up , its blasted apart turret giving it the look of a convertible.
Not sure if it was a Sherman or not, it looked a bit too low slung, perhaps a Chaffe light tank or a M10 Tank Destroyer. Hard to tell with that much damage. An M10 would have been easier to modify to look like a blasted M4 since while the chassis looked like a Sherman it had a thinner armored open top turret.

Funny thing but while the German tanks had great armor and guns they skimped on the gearing and failed to use the Herring Bone gear pattern like that used by the Sherman. Most German tanks blew their final drive if they turned while backing up or accelerated too quickly. I think the "Koenig (King ) Tiger" corrected that mistake.

The American Hellcat and Wolverine tank destroyers were actually deadlier than any allied and most German tanks. They had little armor but moved a lost faster so they were hard to hit on the move and had a better main gun than that of most allied tanks.

Heavy Metal Spike

#12 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

temperflash wrote: . . . Forbidden Planet . . . Star Cops . . . Tanks . . .
Oh yeah - "Forbidden Planet" - haven't watched that in a few years - but added to the list now. TOTAL classic.

Never heard of "Star Cops" - not sure why, since sci-fi stuff normally got noticed by me AND it was a UK production. I'll do some research.

Interesting bit of background on the tanks - thanks.

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#13 Post by kevtk135 »

Just discovered that YouTube is showing movies - free with advertising - and some of the titles are pretty good for us classic monster ppl. There are also regular channels showing some of the "classics as well. Got to see Gorgo last nite, for the first time. Typical *B* goodness. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu0bxC ... J7ijO9QKwg
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

Heavy Metal Spike

#14 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: . . . For the sake of reasonable demarcation - I'm randomly defining "classic" as being PRE-1985 . . .
I myself found it hard to accept - but yeah - it's 40 years (to the DAY) since this hit the cinemas !!!!! - can you believe it?

An American Werewolf In London - THE werewolf movie to end ALL werewolf movies!

It will NEVER be bettered (IMO).

Combination of acting, location, cinematography, humour (yeah - humour!), shock value, practical effects (the REAL icing on the cake and what makes it unbeatable!) along with a script that is SO unique that it defies parody.

Plus a certain young lady who (let's face it) made your toes curl in every scene.

Without question - a TRUE classic!

I'll (we'll) be watching it some time during the evening (making sure the moon isn't full).

NM 156
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#15 Post by NM 156 »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:
Heavy Metal Spike wrote: . . . For the sake of reasonable demarcation - I'm randomly defining "classic" as being PRE-1985 . . .
I myself found it hard to accept - but yeah - it's 40 years (to the DAY) since this hit the cinemas !!!!! - can you believe it?

An American Werewolf In London - THE werewolf movie to end ALL werewolf movies!

It will NEVER be bettered (IMO).
I completely agree with You!!!
But you forgot this, you silly rabbit!!! :lol:

Matt K.

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#16 Post by Buc Wheat »

few points:
1. he ain't a WEREwolf! so it ain't a WEREWOLF movie.
2. humans turning into 4 legged dogs is stupid.
3. can name at least 10 WEREWOLF movies betta'!

Carry on...

Heavy Metal Spike

#17 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Buc's been eating sourpatch kids again :P

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#18 Post by Buc Wheat »

watch it or I'll send some Lycans to your home!

Heavy Metal Spike

#19 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

If I remember right - they're like werewolves with added Kate Beckinsale (always a good thing)

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#20 Post by temperflash »

Actually the two legged weres are "Wolf men". " Werewolves" turn into full fledged wolves and run on four legs.

I suspect that the whole Werewolf mythology is based on the Norse tradition of declaring an outlawed murderer as a "Wolf's Head" meaning he was no longer a part of society and could be hunted down and killed like an animal without repercussions.
A mankiller could buy his way out of a murder charge by paying the victim's family a "Wereguild" which was the deadman's estimated worth to his family. If the killer could not afford or refused to pay the Wereguild he was declared a "wolf's head".

Also the most respected warriors were the "Ulfhere" which meant "Wolf's Heart". Unlike the Berserker the Wolf Hearts were crafty and trained in "War Magic" which included healing of wounds , tactics, navigation, etc.
They used Psychoactive drugs including mushrooms to increase ferocity and avoid fear.