What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Cobra Kai - Karate Kid Netflix sequel

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Cobra Kai - Karate Kid Netflix sequel

#1 Post by derekc62 »

Gotta say - I'm enjoying this more than the original Karate Kid movie.
This series (two season so far) picks up 35 years after the movie and looks at how the outcome of Karate competition affected the lives of the two main kids - Daniel Larusso and Johnny Lawrence.
Much more complex characterizations and much better story telling in this Netflix series.
Derek Conlon

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Cobra Kai - Karate Kid Netflix sequel

#2 Post by Scooke123 »

I just watched the first 5 episodes of season 1. So far I'm enjoying it - Daniel is a little sappy but he was in the original movies as well. I'm curious to see how it all plays out.
Steve Cooke

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#3 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Watched the 1st movie - and that was many MANY years ago. Thought it was OK - but it never impressed me enough to watch a 2nd time OR watch any of the sequels.

As such, I didn't show ANY interest in this (just not my subject matter), but repeated praises from several of the YouTube folks I follow, along with wanting something different for a while, resulted in me binge-watching. Got through seasons 1 & 2 (20 x half-hour episodes) in 4 evenings :oops:

JUST finished the final episode of Season 2 - damn those kids (and adults) are good actors - and they rarely let down the fight choreographer either! The scene in the school that took up lots of S02E10 was INTENSE!

Love that they keep pulling in members of the original cast to play "themselves" 35 years on, love that it's SO non-woke, love the humour, and the music doesn't exactly hurt either :)

Will start on season 3 tomorrow evening.

Really enjoying this so far.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Heavy Metal Spike

#4 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Finished season 3 a couple of weeks back. Still thoroughly enjoyed it, but thought it was the weakest season so far.

Totally unrealistic/"convenient" in MANY ways (for one - I don't think they have ANY police in that town - at least not ones that do what police generally do! :lol: )

Just switch off your brain as regards certain plot/script points and it's damn good fun.

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by Scooke123 »

3rd season you almost had to watch all 3 Karate Kid movies to catch all the references and pop-up actors. I enjoyed the ending and guessed correctly where it was leading to. I'm looking forward to season 4!
Steve Cooke

Heavy Metal Spike

#6 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Season 4 is upon us (as of today) . . . don't call be biased, but anything that has a classic (real) Priest track in the opening episode and an Airbourne track in the 2nd episode MUST have something going for it! (OK - you CAN call me biased).

Nice to see the introduction of yet more new characters - but will someone PLEASE tell me how to stop laughing every time I hear someone say "Eagle Fang" :)

Heavy Metal Spike

#7 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

. . . and ended S04E10 with "Switch 625" from the best album Def Leppard ever released - not too shabby.

Yeah - I binge-watched the entire season in an afternoon/evening :oops:

Once again (from what I can remember) not as good as the first 2 seasons - but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

They've already FILMED season 5!

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#8 Post by Todd P. »

I've seen all of the first two seasons and highlights of the last two. I do appreciate that the show's main tension is not about if you'll be satisfied by some plot development, but when. I mean, c'mon, we all know that it's going to end with the good guys together, the bad guys either redeemed or totally defeated, and everything's going to be hunky-dory, but the journey to getting there is a blast.

It's amusing to me that they seem to have cast the smallest men they could find for the lead "teen" roles. They must have had an idea from the outset that these guys would have to pass as 16 for a long time.

One thing I don't care much about: Will Hilary Swank appear? I never saw her Karate Kid sequel. But I still kind of hope she does.

Another thing I care less about: Will Jaden Smith or Jackie Chan appear? That movie was set in China, darn it, it was kung fu, not karate! And I never saw that movie either.
Last edited by Todd P. on September 14th, 2022, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heavy Metal Spike

#9 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

K - I'm now half-way through the JUST released season 5, and (so far) this is back up at the quality level of seasons 1 & 2. None of the silly 90lb kids throwing one-another around - it's been more realistic as regards the fights AND is grounded in interpersonal relationships.
    • . . . and whoever is responsible for scripting the behaviour & lines for "Johnny Lawrence" deserves a raise - SOOOOOO funny . . . and William Zabka is PERFECT in the role - EASILY my fave character throughout all 5 seasons.
Looking forward to the next 5 episodes :hot:

Heavy Metal Spike

#10 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Right - just finished season 5. EASILY the best season since the first 2. The buildup episodes AND the final episode were just perfect. The humour, the twists & turns, the fight choreography, the romance . . . wonderful stuff.

A bit of dodgy acting from the Asian kid (who has been consistently bad through ALL seasons) and the newly-introduced female Asian sensei, but nothing that was bad enough to spoil the experience.
    • . . . plus they used Airbourne's "Runnin' Wild" again - which can NEVER be a bad thing (yeah - I'm biased - but then I have that elusive thing called "taste" - just like Johnny Lawrence :wink: :lol: )