What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

DUNE!

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

DUNE!

#1 Post by tay666 »

Anyone getting a little excited for the new Dune movie?

I've been hearing about this for a long time. And I have been somewhat optimistic that maybe they will do it right this time. But I haven't been following news about it or anything.
Then this trailer dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g18jFHCLXk

And now I am getting kind of excited for it.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

KathyD
Jack of all Trades

Re: DUNE!

#2 Post by KathyD »

tay666 wrote:Anyone getting a little excited for the new Dune movie?
Not really, more VERY excited!!!! Trailers look amazing and there are snips and scenes that I recognise from around 40 years of reading and re-reading the book so I have high hopes that this time the directoer did actually read and enjoy it. Cannot wait....

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#3 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Sci-Fi, Monstersies . . . you'd have thought it was a no-brainer for me.

But no - not really interested. And seeing Momoa in it didn't really help any.

I'll have access to it - but probably won't bother watching (unless folks here convince me otherwise).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by Buc Wheat »

will def look fwd to it.

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

Dune (HBO Max)

#5 Post by Buc Wheat »

Was really surprised when I read that Dune was appearing on HBO Max
last night at 6pm!!

Watched it last night and enjoyed it. Pretty much followed the Lynch version,
almost scene for scene and I couldn't help comparing everything to each other.
Liked some characters of Lynch's better, some vehicles here or there were cooler
in this newer version.

Over all I thought the story btwn the 2 families and the Empire were better explained...
esp for those who never read the books and might have been lost w/ Lynch's version.

Overall, they did a good job. The soundtrack sounds pretty good as well. Might have
to check out the album.

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

Re: Dune (HBO Max)

#6 Post by Tim Fortuna »

I'm about half way through and I am enjoying it better than I thought I would. And Duncan Idaho is the coolest name ever.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#7 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:Sci-Fi, Monstersies . . . you'd have thought it was a no-brainer for me.

But no - not really interested. And seeing Momoa in it didn't really help any.

I'll have access to it - but probably won't bother watching (unless folks here convince me otherwise).

Can someone fetch me a beer? (a nice wheat ale would go down real well about now) . . . I need something to help me eat my words.

I loved pretty-much everything about this.

I've never read the books, can barely remember the one time I watched the 1984 movie (although I remember I didn't think much of it), so my perspective is likely VERY different to that of you knowledgeable folks out there.

Pointless going through the regular list of casting, acting, cinematography, score, directing, pacing, ship designs, costuming, special-effects (damn - did it anyway) - because EVERYTHING is almost perfectly done.

A real rarity these days - especially when you realise you've just watched something with (gasp!) a PLOT! :shock: . . . damn who'd have thought - people actually being impressed when you make something with an interesting STORY instead of going OTT with bad CGI & explosions, action you can't follow, or forcing preaching, politics, fake "inclusion" and virtue-signalling down the audiences throat.

There were a few questions and/or niggles I had, but I came away feeling uplifted and grateful, and WILL be watching it again - likely several times before the 2nd part is released.

Everybody involved in this (including the couple of "asshat" variety actors) did an amazing job, and should be very proud of what they accomplished between them.

Also amazing to see how little this cost to make compared to all the trash we've been forced to put up with since the beer-bug kicked in.

Easily in my top 5 for movies released over the last 2 years.

As the years roll by, this one will go down as a classic, and a total anomaly for the time period it was released in.

"Tick VG" from the Campbell clan.

PS: Dave Bautista (not in the poster below for some strange reason) REALLY nails his character - scary big bugger!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

KathyD
Jack of all Trades

#8 Post by KathyD »

As a fan of the books, It was everything I wanted it to be, and I'm now looking forward to part two. I will rewatch :)

grymm-one
Earl of Epoxy

#9 Post by grymm-one »

I've seen it twice. Loved it!

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#10 Post by AntMan »

tay666 wrote:Anyone getting a little excited for the new Dune movie?

I've been hearing about this for a long time. And I have been somewhat optimistic that maybe they will do it right this time. But I haven't been following news about it or anything.
Then this trailer dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g18jFHCLXk

And now I am getting kind of excited for it.
Tay666,
I actually am!

After suffering through the two previous attempts and bringing Herbert's sci-fi masterpiece to the big screen, it appears that someone has FINALLY gotten it correct!

Unfortunately, I've opted to skip watching it, (for now). A major turn-off for me about the movie is that it was decided to do only the first part of it. I understand that with setting the stage, developing the plot and doing character development on such an all-encompassing science fiction storyline requires some time, and if they tried to do all in a one-shot deal we'd probably be looking at a 5-hour plus movie.

It's just that if I watch the current movie now, I can guarantee you that I'll have to watch it once again in 2023, (when the next movie is scheduled to be released), in order to refresh my (ailing, faltering) memory.
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com