What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Predator 5 : PREY (Summer 2022 on HULU) === Minor spoilers

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Predator 5 : PREY (Summer 2022 on HULU) === Minor spoile

#41 Post by Buc Wheat »

Pretty much feel the same way you did...

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: (the 1st 30mins were a bit slow compared to EVERY other entry in the franchise)
Thought the whole film seemed slow, with the typical "ZOOM IN REAL CLOSE, Run around really fast!!" during
the fight scenes so that it's hard to follow what's going on.

I loved the design of the Predator!! LOVED him!!
HOWEVER - they screwed-up the subtitles - the French dialogue.
I almost when upstairs and woke the wife the translate the French parts! Pissed me off as well!

Overall impressions? it was okay. Thought the pred didn't fight fair though. I always believed they fight
at the same level as their adversary... but think he took to much adv with his superior tech against spears,
tomahawks and bow. Except for the bear tussle, which I thought looked pretty even!

Now, both my sons look at me and ask, "What Predator movies have you watched??! Fair fight? He's
stringing guys up in trees and in elevators with dudes looking around not knowing what is going on! When
they lose the fight, they activate mini-f'ing ATOM BOMBS on their wrist bands!! Fight Fair??! Sheesh"

but overall, it was good to see this. It's Predators! and Predators will also be cool!

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#42 Post by Ant »

I've avoided everything about it till I watched it.

Liked it - good plot, good acting, good pace, but..... _hated_ the predator design...

Can't win em all I suppose.

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#43 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

If the distributors claims are to be believed, this seems to have done really well through (at least) the banners/services they mention.

Bodes VERY well for a continuation of the franchise - I just hope the next one has a stronger (more energising) script/soundtrack combination . . . this one was fine for what it was, and certainly served its purpose, but (overall - except for a few scenes) lacked the energy/excitement of all of the earlier entries.

• "Shared on 20th Century Studios, Hulu, and Predator social channels, Disney has announced that Prey is the most watched Hulu premiere ever including both TV and Movies!
        • The film also was the top premiere ever for Disney+ under the Star Banner internationally."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#44 Post by Tim Fortuna »

The wife and I watched it the other night and we both enjoyed it. She had a problem with the animal CGI but I barely noticed. I was very happy that one of the characters I was convinced they were going to kill off survived. I think it's slow for some people because of the time period and the lack of technology and modern surroundings.
I put this one up there with Predators.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#45 Post by Tiger2 »

Finally managed to sit down and watch this with the family and thumbs up all round, even my wife who isn't a big horror sci fi fan!
A good effort with music, plot, characters to connect with, epic scenery and a nice dose of blood and snot here and there.
I really liked the Pred design and the more animalistic, wild attributes. Some of the CGI was a little ropey in places, a bit 'video-gamey'
as my son put it, but it did the job.

In hindsight, it felt a bit like an episode from 'Doctor Who meets Last of the Mohicans' which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
While I know it was meant to reboot the franchise and possibly lead to more films, I can't help feel that it might have run its
'credible' course. Where next, ancient Rome or Greece?

Alien is a great example of how the thrill, mystery and impact of the original '79 release got watered down and diluted by the prequels trying
to poke around under every rock and explain everything, until it all just became so familiar, there was nothing 'alien' left about it! Let's hope that doesn't happen to the Predator, an awesome creature concept and design that for me is still immortalised by Arnold's performance and the original.

Cheers,
Paul

Heavy Metal Spike

#46 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tiger2 wrote: . . . In hindsight, it felt a bit like an episode from "Doctor Who meets Last of the Mohicans" . . .
Yeah - I see where you're going there Paul.

Tiger2 wrote: . . . While I know it was meant to reboot the franchise and possibly lead to more films, I can't help feel that it might have run its 'credible' course. Where next, ancient Rome or Greece? . . .
I actually don't think either of those are bad ideas :)

There's been SO much variation in the comics / graphic-novels & books that anything is possible with a bit of imagination.

Budget will obviously limit what they can do, but I think this did EXACTLY what they hoped it would do :arrow: get good reviews, create great word-of-mouth, and give the franchise the boost it sorely needed for the first time since "PREDATORS"

Tiger2 wrote: . . . Alien is a great example of how the thrill, mystery and impact of the original '79 release got watered down and diluted by the prequels trying to poke around under every rock and explain everything . . .
Yeah - Ridley Scott's ego & clout combined to totally eff-up the backstory. He shouldn't have been allowed back on the franchise.

And since it's been a couple of weeks, I see no reason to avoid spoilery-stuffs at this point, so I'm sharing a couple of my fave pics . . .

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#47 Post by Ant »

One thing I particularly didn't like was that skull face mask because it just _kept_ making me think "Half-Life head crab"....

Heavy Metal Spike

#48 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Ant wrote:One thing I particularly didn't like was that skull face mask because it just _kept_ making me think "Half-Life head crab"....
I had to look those up - nasty lil' buggers! :shock:

I quite like the mask AND the unmasked head - a nice variation while still being recognisable as the same basic species.

The only part of the "feral" design I didn't like was the hands - WAY too short & fat.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#49 Post by tay666 »

Tiger2 wrote: While I know it was meant to reboot the franchise and possibly lead to more films, I can't help feel that it might have run its
They don't have to go back further in time. They could move forward.
I think a good WWII movie that also incorporated a predator might be interesting.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#50 Post by Tim Fortuna »

tay666 wrote:
Tiger2 wrote: While I know it was meant to reboot the franchise and possibly lead to more films, I can't help feel that it might have run its
They don't have to go back further in time. They could move forward.
I think a good WWII movie that also incorporated a predator might be interesting.
Ooohh I like the sounds of that one!
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

speed-1
Finger Painter

#51 Post by speed-1 »

Prey is the third best Predator movie for me. And I only count the first two. My list is.

1. Predator

2. Predator 2

3. Prey aka Predator Prey

Prey didn't just reboot the series I think it cancelled some of those bad movies like Alien vs Predator. And I loved the ending with the nod to Predator 2. Browsing the Internet, I think I'm one of the few that actually like Predator 2. I thought the jungle opening to then reveal the jungle of the city was clever.

Heavy Metal Spike

#52 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

speed-1 wrote: . . . I loved the ending with the nod to Predator 2. Browsing the Internet, I think I'm one of the few that actually like Predator 2. I thought the jungle opening to then reveal the jungle of the city was clever.
It's not that those who like/love Predator 2 are few-and-far between, it's that there is a vocal mob continually shouting "If it's not Arnie it's not Predator", and who refuse to accept that it was P2 that built on, and dramatically expanded the franchise/universe.

It remains (to this day) my absolute fave. I remember the excitement throughout the film, all the set pieces, all the quotable lines, the great acting, the action, the practical effects . . . the positives for this film go on-and-on (much like my continued love for the franchise despite all it's dodgy moments).

The CHILLS when they showed that trophy case towards the end, while the music built to a crescendo - MAN what a rush!

Best Predator design, best characters, best plot, best movie - no question for me.

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#53 Post by Todd P. »

I enjoy Predator 2 and agree with much of what you're saying. The first is still my favorite, but 2 is a worthy successor, and it is indeed the one that established elements that a hundred other stories have built on. I assume you read the Batman vs. Predator comics? I love the first series and it very much lives in the Predator 2 universe.

My biggest criticisms would have involved what I thought was pretty lazy tough-guy characterization of Danny Glover's character. He was such a good actor but I felt like he didn't have much to work with there. And boy, Maria Conchita Alonso was pretty close to awful.

Heavy Metal Spike

#54 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Todd P. wrote:I enjoy Predator 2 and agree with much of what you're saying. The first is still my favorite, but 2 is a worthy successor, and it is indeed the one that established elements that a hundred other stories have built on.

I assume you read the Batman vs. Predator comics? I love the first series and it very much lives in the Predator 2 universe.

My biggest criticisms would have involved what I thought was pretty lazy tough-guy characterization of Danny Glover's character. He was such a good actor but I felt like he didn't have much to work with there. And boy, Maria Conchita Alonso was pretty close to awful.
Yeah - I think I've read (pretty much) every Predator-related comic / graphic novel published - even the Predator/Archie ones :oops: - my collection of pre-paints, GK's, comics, novels, posters, Blu-Rays etc. etc. is probably well past "fanatic" level by now :lol:

For me,the worst bit of acting (editing?) in the movie is the bit towards the start where MCA delivers her line about the motorcycle cops they are trying to rescue - almost as cheesy as Richard Crenna in "First Blood" when he says "Rambo, don't do it" #-o

Ah - lines that should have been left on the cutting room floor :)

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#55 Post by derekc62 »

So, until recently I'd only ever seen the first Predator movie.

The Predator itself (the monster) was an instant classic of concept, design and execution. It is by far the best thing about the movie. So much so that an entire franchise has been built on the monster without ever once having brought back an actor to reprise a role. The film itself is a product of its time and is squarely aimed at a specific target demo - guys who were roughly my age in 1987. The "acting" consists of... well let's be frank. There's no acting. It's a bunch of guys speaking lines while a camera films them.

I only watched Predator 2 last week - and it took me two sittings to wade through that p.o.s. Stereotypical bad guys, zero production value (except what was spent on the Predator), bad acting all around, Hollywood trope on top of Hollywood trope. There were parts where I laughed out loud.

Why did I watch it? Because I had watched Prey and thought that was very good. Solid story, characters I could care about, decent acting and locations (although the ending was telegraphed half-way through the film). So I wondered what I'd been missing all these years. Turns out, nothing. I would like to see the writers and producers do more with the story of the Predators' history of visiting Earth - the connection hinted at in Predator 2 and explored more fully in Prey (the flintlock pistol).

Since I had already slogged through P2 I thought, "Why not, let's go all the way.." so I've since watched Predators and The Predator.

Even though the original had the very entertaining Arnold, only Predators has managed to attract decent actors (Brody, Fishburn, Trejo) even if they've been largely wasted in one-dimensional roles. Can we ever learn more about the Predators themselves and why they keep coming back to Earth? There's got to be a decent story about them on their home world and their motivations. How is it that these advanced space travelers seem to have nothing better to do than use their tech to track down people for sport? If the analogy is that that's what we do when he hunt for sport then that's an extremely narrow view that misses a much bigger picture.
Last edited by derekc62 on September 4th, 2022, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Conlon

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#56 Post by Todd P. »

Do yourself a favor, Derek, and stay far, far away from the AVP films. Such an enormously wasted opportunity.

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#57 Post by derekc62 »

Todd P. wrote:Do yourself a favor, Derek, and stay far, far away from the AVP films. Such an enormously wasted opportunity.
Thanks for the tip Todd.
I was headed that way out of curiosity..
Derek Conlon

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#58 Post by Todd P. »

Well, they're not the worst movies you'll ever see. But there's little about either of them that's much fun. Requiem was particularly bad.

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#59 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Watched Pred 2 last night for the heck of it. Looks a little dated now but still a fun romp.

Heavy Metal Spike

#60 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

derekc62 wrote: . . . I only watched Predator 2 last week - and it took me two sittings to wade through that p.o.s. . . .
Ah – “taste” . . . we all have it – but that of some is not as uncultured as mine own 8)
    • . . . “$hit ‘appens” used to be my sig here before I swapped it for the April 2021 fundraiser – I should probably swap it back :)

Tim Fortuna wrote:Watched Pred 2 last night for the heck of it. Looks a little dated now but still a fun romp.
I've heard the same about Teri Weigel - I mean - this is the only movie I've seen her in (honest!) - but she apparently still knows how to party Image