What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

The BATMAN

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

The BATMAN

#1 Post by AntMan »

Has anyone seen it yet?

If so, thoughts?
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

Re: The BATMAN

#2 Post by Misellus »

I'll give it a 2/5.

Reminded me of Se7en...not neccessarily in a good way. Parts of it made no sense ("Batman has the stupid-ball, he hands it Gordon, Gordon tosses it to Penguin, Riddler intercepts...etc"). Don't ask for specifics, at this point I think I'm supressing the memories.

I did like the beginning but the longer it went the less interested I was.

Really wish I could remember where this came from:
"Was there any part of it you did like?"
"The ending. Well, the fact that it ended."

I'll probably watch it again once the DVD comes out. The theater had horrible accoustics and the nearly constant heavy bass made most of the dialog hard to follow. Maybe I'll get more out of it then.

Mixing guy "Director says to set the dialog at 1 and the Nirvana track at 18."
Assistant "Which scene?"
Mixing guy "All of them."
Assistant "That's going to sound like s**t."
Mixing guy "No worse than the dialog."
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#3 Post by Todd P. »

Hm, only one response, and once upon a time this group would have been all over this movie. I guess I'm not the only one who has finally lost interest.

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#4 Post by Misellus »

You're right, once upon a time I would have jumped at the chance to see a new superhero movie (even characters I don't really care for). I wasn't dragged to the theater, but seeing this one wasn't my idea either. I was content waiting for the dvd, this was just a chance to hang out with some friends.

Reading my previous post, there's not much there other than me trying to be cute. So I'll try to be better. Probably Spoilers

Things I liked:
Patterson made a decent early in his career Batman. There were enough "Wait, what?" moments to show he's not the "thinking 18 moves ahead, defeated the villain before he even left the Batcave" Flandersization we usually see from Batman.

Kravitz made a good Catwoman (who wasn't Catwoman yet). No costume, no tricks, just a ski mask and a black jumpsuit.

The police don't like/trust Batman.

The Batmobile was a car, not a tank/weapon's platform/whatever that can drive up a building. Just a car.

Things I didn't like:
Patterson made a terrible Bruce Wayne

The guy playing Falcone was miscast. Smiling and laughing the whole time, I kept expecting him to remove a wig and makeup to show he's really the Joker.

Has Riddler ever been a murdering psychopath in the comics? I always assumed he was the type who liked toying with people to show how smart he was, not Joker Jr.

The story really didn't make sense either. Riddler's mad at someone who's dead because he didn't keep his promises (because he died). Copying scenes from Se7en didn't help, Envy was written much better. I'm willing to accept that I missed something on this...I couldn't hear a lot of the dialog.

m-
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#5 Post by Todd P. »

Misellus wrote:Has Riddler ever been a murdering psychopath in the comics? I always assumed he was the type who liked toying with people to show how smart he was, not Joker Jr.
I think the Riddler's characterization has been inconsistent in the comics. Generally not portrayed as a mass murderer, but I think sometimes he was. Just depended on who was writing him. I'd say that Frank Gorshin's portrayal of the character is probably the one people know best, and in terms of film I'd say his IS the best. Jim Carrey's version of the character ... ugh.

Neil Gaiman wrote my favorite Riddler story ever in a Secret Origins Special from 1989.

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#6 Post by AntMan »

Yeah, the Riddler has that whole Hannibal Lecter vibe going on in "The Batman", (which wasn't typical of his character in the Batman comic books).

...I went to see it on the Thursday before its official release. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing for me, since I had previously been talking myself (what I though was convincingly) into just skipping it.

Yet another reboot of Batman had me feeling quite cynical about Batman on the big screen. (I mean, how many times can you retell his story with yet another different cast of actors, actresses, writers, directors and producers)?

In addition, I really disliked what they did to the Batman character during that whole Justice League story line. (I mean, Batman with guns)?

ANYWAY, when heading back from work on the Thursday I decided to just drop by a local theater to see if it was playing, and then when it was, I was like "might as well check it out, since I'm already here".

MANNN!!! WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE! It was much, MUCH BETTER than I thought it would be!

Since I'm not trying to give away any spoilers here, I'll just leave it at that, along with saying that I DID end up seeing it a second time last Wednesday, with my son.

I thought it was very good.

(Partial Spoiler Alert).
There were many similarities between "The Batman" and two previously released animated Batman movies, "Batman: The Long Halloween, Part One" and part two.
Last edited by AntMan on March 13th, 2022, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Tony

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#7 Post by AntMan »

...Some additional spoilers here...
The movie was pretty dark, (visually). Doing so was probably planned, in order to highlight and accentuate that whole darkness, creepy (boogieman jumping out from the dark) effect. The producer/director were going for incorporating that into the Batman figure, to give him a (more) scary, creepy feel.

(Remember when the Batmobile came jumping through the fire with it partially on fire itself, silhouetted with the black night behind it? Kind of looked like a Batmobile out of hell homing in on the Penguin.

The use of darkness greatly enhanced the suspense and terror aspects of scenes. (The first "Aliens" movie used it non-stop to add that fear factor in).

However, I do remember thinking about halfway in ("Really? Yet another dark, rainy scene here?"). :wink: :roll:

It seems like almost every daytime scene, along with some of the night ones took place in the rain. :?:

I DO also like how the movie was more of a Detective story, as opposed to being a typical Batman one.

All-in-all I'd probably give The Batman a B+ to A-.

(Another partial Spoiler Alert):
(I didn't go with a straight 'A' because I really don't like Mob-movies, which it partially was).
Last edited by AntMan on May 7th, 2022, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Tony

Glusniffer
Knight of the Round Bench

#8 Post by Glusniffer »

Currently watching and not impressed at all...... :beatdeadhorse:
Jeff doesn't follow directions.
Jeff doesn't pay attention.
Jeff doesn't use time wisely,
Jeff doesn't play well with others......

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#9 Post by derekc62 »

I watched this the other night and I thought it was quite good.

Is it the actor I would have chosen? No
Is it the Riddler from the comics? No
Was the Batmobile impressive? No
Was the character of Alfred well used? No
Are the Cat Woman/Penguin origin stories the origins we all know? No

Did any of that make a difference in the end? No

This was a different take on the Batman that worked well.

Everyone has they're own preferences: Keaton/Burton - Bale/Nolan - Neal Adams/Frank Miller/Jim Lee/Aparo/Giordano/Kubert, etc.

It's all subjective.

But for me the story, mood, and approach to the main character and the psychotic antagonist outweighed everything.

There are some illogical moments - the literally unflinching abilities of the Batman, the physical abuse he can take after jumping off a high-rise, his being invited to an active crime scene crawling with cops and crime scene technicians - but once I brushed aside those few annoying issues I settled down for a looong largely enjoyable ride.
Derek Conlon

Heavy Metal Spike
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#10 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

derekc62 wrote: . . . This was a different take on the Batman that worked well . . .
Yeah - agree with everything Derek said (not just the quoted bit).

I'm not a fan of the character, but since I didn't have to pay anything to watch this - I did :)

Liked the change in approach, likely won't ever watch it again, but it was an OK movie.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#11 Post by Buc Wheat »

Watched it on HBO last night. (why release it on max, now, btw?! won't that hurt DVD sales)

Thought it was alright. Agree his Bat was ok, his Bruce was ugh!!!

And did they run outta money when making Catwoman's costume and didn't have anything
left but a woolen sock w/ eyes cut out for her head gear. WTF was up with that?!

But agree w/ most. Wasn't my Riddler... Penquin was ok. Falcone was misplayed and came off
off target. Liked Gordon, and don't picture Alfred as Gollum and kept laughing to myself whenever
he came on screen. Expected him to be wearing those 3D balls all over his body at any time.

Overall the main storyline wasn't logical for the actions taken. I too won't be re-watching this
one. It was okay. Typical DC.

Glusniffer

#12 Post by Glusniffer »

I watched up to where he jumped of the building in the flying squirrel suit then everything just dragged on and I quickly lost interest so I fast forwarded to what is obviously the Joker (didn't see that coming) sooooo. There will be a sequel and probably Two Face added to the mix.... or whomever...... just MHO but the DC Universe should just throw in the towel. You can find better entertainment on You-tube by typing in Grilled Cheese Sandwich! :?
Jeff doesn't follow directions.
Jeff doesn't pay attention.
Jeff doesn't use time wisely,
Jeff doesn't play well with others......

Heavy Metal Spike

#13 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Glusniffer wrote:I watched up to where he jumped of the building in the flying squirrel suit then everything just dragged on and I quickly lost interest so I fast forwarded to what is obviously the Joker (didn't see that coming) sooooo. There will be a sequel and probably Two Face added to the mix.... or whomever...... just MHO but the DC Universe should just throw in the towel. You can find better entertainment on You-tube by typing in Grilled Cheese Sandwich! :?
"Squirrel suit" & "grilled cheese sandwich" - LMAO :lol:

Wish you posted more Jeff - miss you round these here parts bud :thumb2:

If you liked the "Joker" bit - you might like this bit that didn't make the final cut (it was THIS that finally convinced ME to try the whole movie) :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKGhtSCVovo

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#14 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Just watched it and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#15 Post by LOBOREX »

Glusniffer wrote:I watched up to where he jumped of the building in the flying squirrel suit then everything just dragged on and I quickly lost interest so I fast forwarded to what is obviously the Joker (didn't see that coming) sooooo. There will be a sequel and probably Two Face added to the mix.... or whomever...... just MHO but the DC Universe should just throw in the towel. You can find better entertainment on You-tube by typing in Grilled Cheese Sandwich! :?
Spot on.
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#16 Post by Todd P. »

Checked out the DVD from my local library. Didn't hate the movie but it's going to be a long time before I feel a need to see it again. Mostly just dull, not much fun about it at any point over the course of three freaking hours, not even the fight scenes. The most interesting character might have been the Penguin but I don't think that's saying much because I've seen the same character in better movies.

Pattinson makes a drab Batman and an even "drabber" Bruce Wayne. But really, I'd say almost all the characters lacked interesting personalities.

Enjoyed the fact that all of the villains from the 1966 film appear in this one (Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman).

Kudos to the writer who realized "I am vengeance" is a stupid, cliched and generally lazy thing for Batman to say, and turned it into an ironic element of the film.

Speaking of the 1966 Batman, have you seen this?

Heavy Metal Spike

#17 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

There was LOLS - thanks for the link Todd :)

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#18 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Todd that is the funniest thing I've seen in awhile, thanks for that.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders