What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Better Call Saul - AMC Final Season

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

Better Call Saul - AMC Final Season

#1 Post by Buc Wheat »

Finished this last night and was really disappointed w/ this season.

Spoilers if you haven't seen this season yet!

WTF is the timeline for those last 4 episodes in B&W. The HoneyBun episodes??!
Where do they fall in the timeline. No matter what season, whenever there was a HoneyBun
ep, I got lost!

Do these occur before he worked at HH&M? It wasn't during his 1 year Bar banishment, cuz
he worked at the Cell phone place then. Was it after he and Kim broke up?

He's definitely trying to be hiding his identity, but for what reason. Are these suppose to be
taking place at the end of Breaking Bad?? If so, why? This series is suppose to be a prequel,
isn't it?

And in the last episode, courtroom... how did his talk get Kim off the hook? All he said was
what Mike always told him to say. Does that mean Kim's statement has no solid evidence to
prove it otherwise, therefore the DA won't take it up?

So now he has 86 years in prison. So how is he in Breaking Bad in the 1st f'ing place!???

and Sorry... Saul's more slippery than that!

Sad it didn't live up to what I expected.

Buc

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

Re: Better Call Saul - AMC Final Season

#2 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Black and white scenes were present day, after BB.
As for his last speech he admitted to everything saying Kim had nothing to do with anything. In real life she would of been investigated anyways but in BCS world she gets to be a lawyer again.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#3 Post by derekc62 »

In the last episode of "Talking Saul" the guests were asked to try to summarize the finale in three words.

Bob Odenkirk's answer was "Hard-won truth"

In other words Jimmy is finally, after all his years of being a hustler and con man, taking responsibility for his actions. That's why he screws himself - to save Kim. And that's why he also "confesses" to Chuck's death (remember the exchange with his lawyer as he returns to the defence table?)

The black and white symbolizes his drab, colorless existence since the events of Breaking Bad.

Better Call Saul (color) happens before Breaking Bad.

Better Call Saul (B&W) takes place after BB - roughly 16 months after all the BB events. (not sure it's present days since everyone still seems to be using flip phones!)

When he finally speaks with and sees Kim (B&W) he hasn't seen her since their divorce at least six years prior.

There are two examples I caught of "spot color" being used in the B&W episodes - the reflection in his glasses which watching one of his Saul Goodman TV ads (which happened in the past) and in the prison visitor room when he and Kim share a cigarette - the lighting of the cigarette and glowing end. Maybe to symbolize a rekindling of their love for each other(?)

No where near as solid an ending as BB but, as Odenkirk said, it was a hard-won truth.
Derek Conlon

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#4 Post by Ant »

I caught the ciggy tip colourisation but not the other one..

I was a bit disappointed with the lacklustre ending. I get the decision to accept responsibility finally and that works - just all the stuff raiding the shop and ripping peoples financials off was just dull.

I think ultimately there were the two threads to the whole thing - the BB drugs/Salamancas/Fring/Mike story and the HHM story. I wasn't interested in HHM... but loved the rest.

I'm sure in BB he's asked where he sees himself in XX years and he says something like "managing a Cinnabon in Omaha"...

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#5 Post by derekc62 »

Ant wrote:
I was a bit disappointed with the lacklustre ending. I get the decision to accept responsibility finally and that works - just all the stuff raiding the shop and ripping peoples financials off was just dull.
Clearly the producers were trying to convince us that Jimmy was on his way back, that he as going to continue to elude the law, would end up being an anti-hero and return to a colorful life...

... but I agree, lackluster.... I mean, how much fun can an audience have with "Yup, your honor, I did it..."?
Derek Conlon

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by Buc Wheat »

I'll have to rewatch the court scene. I coulda swore he said Hammond died by
suicide and pretty much stuck to Mike's storyline instructions.