What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

What song caught your attention today?

This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Recorded Music. Not related to any particular Genre.

There's only two kinds of Music... Good Music and Bad Music.....So drop a coin in the slot, put on your Blue Suede Shoes and c'mon in....

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Re: What song caught your attention today?

#2361 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

While I've not stopped LISTENING to music over the last 6 weeks (like that's ever gonna happen!), other demands on my time have reduced my posting about it.

I've been following these wee fellas for a while now - hailing from Ontario (I don't hold that against them), it's always been easy to see touches of ZZ Top in their material.

This one is no different.
PS: Trev - you may not like it :wink: :)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Heavy Metal Spike

#2362 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Guaranteed to raise my spirits when I've had to deal with idiots . . .

I effin' LOVE this song (my fave on the album - just so upbeat and "boppy") and ADORE the entire album (possibly my fave of at least the last 10 years).

Papa and his deep-sea-diving nameless ghouls help out a few folks who got lost in the local swimming pool.

Heavy Metal Spike

#2363 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Always a sign of a quality & accomplished musician when they can make things look so easy & relaxed . . .
  • . . . and that's ALWAYS evident from Adrian Smith (the other folks are OK too :) )

Original article - https://bravewords.com/news/smith-kotze ... -streaming

Heavy Metal Spike

#2364 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

And speaking of effortless . . .

No idea why I didn't post this when it was first uploaded - must have been a "too busy" day and then I forgot (until reminded).
  • . . . I'd never really taken the lady seriously, but she sure does have the chops. This is like a cross between Rainbow, Journey & Halestorm - not too shabby!

Heavy Metal Spike

#2365 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Nice to get an updated version of this - even though the original is perfect.

Easily the best track on 1989's "Slip Of the Tongue" album (along with "Sailing Ships").

Mr. (and master) David Coverdale at his best. The man's voice is shot to heck these days (well "duh" given his age!) but he gave us DECADES of high-range, high quality rock - both in the studio AND live.
  • . . . My fave male vocalist ever (and MAN has he had some serious competition over the years!) :shock:

Heavy Metal Spike

#2366 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

"Within Temptation" have been through a fair bit of churn over the last few years, resulting in (compared to their earlier material) an abundance of OK (sometimes great) but mostly mediocre songs (YMMV).
  • . . . but this gets all the chills going - the lady's voice is so powerful that it can't help but raise the hairs on the back of your neck.
      • From Sharon den Adel herself - "'Don’t Pray For Me’ strives against forcing beliefs and fears onto others and bears witness to being acceptive of everyone’s own journey . . . "

Heavy Metal Spike

#2367 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Looking back on the 70's and 80's, ONE thing that was sadly lacking was a balanced amount of female representation in the rock/metal community.

That's something that the last 20 years has fixed.

The last album ("Worlds Apart") from this collaborative team (the power pixie, the steadfast hero, and the imagineer . . . Anette Olzon, Russell Allen, and Magnus Karlsson) came at a very dark time in my family's lives (Jan 2020) - the loss of my kid Sister Anne.

I loved the album, it helped ease/release the pain for me, and if this sophomore release is half as good then I'll be well impressed.
  • . . . This is the title track from the new album . . . (Anne - you'll love this too Image :cloud9: )

Heavy Metal Spike

#2368 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Like most bands, Vanden Plas . . . besides being named after my fave car of all time - the UK's Rover 3500 V8 Vanden Plas (yes - I owned one - rusted away to $hit :lol: ) . . . have had their "high" and "low" periods, but their latest LIVE release nicely encapsulates some of their strongest material from the last 12 years.

BW&BK has been very thorough (as they always are) in documenting the bands progression (no pun intended) and releases, hence this article from July 6th (2022 - I'm not THAT slow in posting about stuff) :arrow: https://bravewords.com/news/vanden-plas ... at-release.
  • . . . The singer (the unfortunately surnamed Andy Kuntz - it's all about the pronunciation) is one of those frontmen that has a great voice, great stage presence, and is SO charismatic - I just wish their guitarist could learn to smile :)

Heavy Metal Spike

#2369 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

. . . and I'll end today's posts on this thread (my 9th today - sorry folks! :oops: ) with an UNDISPUTED rock legend.

I DO like the way YouTube makes recommendations (even when you're not signed in 8-[ ) based on previous viewings . . . and let's face it . . . the big beautiful world of heavy rock is tall & wide enough to encompass ANYONE'S preferences . . .

Which brings me to a track so many of us (and the rest of the planet) know so well . . . except I've NEVER heard/seen THIS (1990) live version before :shock: :shock: :shock:

Geezus that guitarist is good !!!!!! :shock:

Heavy Metal Spike

#2370 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

So here's a coincidence - and a resulting blast from the past, and knowledge gained . . . :D

I'm sitting here in Vancouver, BC . . . catching up on a bit of work (on a stat holiday no less!), after taking a few days break.

We've had about a week of crappy OTT (I.E.: WAY TOO HOT) weather, and with no air conditioning (the number of days we get these temps doesn't merit the cost), we were quite relieved that TODAY, the temps dropped and a breeze kicked in.
      • So . . . windows & doors open . . . lovely stuff! :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

I hit a technical error with one of my clients' sites, so phoned their helpdesk. I get put on hold while they do some juggling behind the scenes, and instead of the sort of really annoying music I often get when on hold, got something I recognised - but it wasn't "quite right".

It was "Summer Breeze", covered by someone I didn't recognise - but wasn't as good as the version I knew.

Once the bug was fixed and I was off the phone, a quick bit of google-foo tracked down the 1973/74 SINGLE version by the Isley Brothers. It was like finding a long-lost friend :)

I didn't even know that THEIR version was itself a cover version (theirs is the version that is well-known in the UK) OR that it was "part 1" (always did think it ended a bit abrubtly).

So I put it on repeat for half-hour while appreciating the breeze cooling down our house, and relaxed for a while with some awesome soulful rock - great music, great lyrics, from a great band.
                    • Nice! :bgrin: :cloud9:

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#2371 Post by tay666 »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:.

SHUDDER

One of his songs that almost hate.
It's too poppy, it's too 80's video song, it's so not Alice.
And it is the song that gets played all-the-damn-time! :evil:
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#2372 Post by tay666 »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:.

While I've not stopped LISTENING to music over the last 6 weeks (like that's ever gonna happen!), other demands on my time have reduced my posting about it.

I've been following these wee fellas for a while now - hailing from Ontario (I don't hold that against them), it's always been easy to see touches of ZZ Top in their material.

This one is no different.
PS: Trev - you may not like it :wink: :)

Cute video, but the song does nothing for me.
If I want to listen to an Ontario band, I'll just play this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n87czvJB1o
:mrgreen:
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#2373 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote:SHUDDER
One of his songs that almost hate.
It's too poppy, it's too 80's video song, it's so not Alice.
And it is the song that gets played all-the-damn-time! :evil:
Yeah - it's GREAT :twisted: :P

Heavy Metal Spike

#2374 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Thanks to that luvly lil' website "BW&BK", I got a reminder that this was released Aug 2nd 1978 - that's 44 (FORTY-FOUR !!!!!!!!!! :shock: ) years ago today.

This album will stay as one of my top 10 (maybe top 5? :-k - I'd have to do some serious thinking!) until the day I shuffle off this mortal coil.

JUST gets the edge over their first album, but BOTH are absolute classics - soaring guitars, incredible vocals, stunning harmonies, phenomenal musicianship, and the most perfect "road trip" music that you will ever find - STILL!

The title track in particular sends shivers down my spine, complete with goosebumps & all the hairs on my arms/neck standing on end - the progression from 2:36-3:15 and on to 3:55 - man-o-man!!!!!

• ALWAYS lifts my spirits, and makes me so happy - LOVE the positive waves! :jam: :bgrin: :cloud9:

Heavy Metal Spike

#2375 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

We lost Nicky Moore yesterday. Most people won't have a clue who I'm talking about. He was the singer that replaced Bruce Dickinson in "Samson" in 1982 when Bruce joined Maiden.
Then in 1987, he joined the crew that formed "Mammoth", and these guys cheered us up with a nice bit of self-deprecating humour for a couple of years. They were fun live, and the 1st album wasn't too shabby either.
RIP mate.

Heavy Metal Spike

#2376 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Hadn't heard of these fellas until a couple of days ago (another round of applause goes out to BW&BK) . . .

I can SEE the accordion, but not hear it, and I'm moderately concerned that a marching leper might not get that far :-k - but hey - who am I to judge? - I like the music !!!!! (and that main riff is KILLER!) :hot: :jam: :jam: :jam:

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#2377 Post by tay666 »

I like this a lot.
So much so, that I have started sampling more of their material.
So far I can say I like this newer material more than their older stuff. Older stuff isn't bad but doesn't grab me. Too samey-same. I did find one older song I liked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cIa5ecCFXM
New stuff has some nice variety.
After hopping around the playlist for the new album, i have just decided to listen to it all the way through. So far no interest in the first song, but the next 3 have been fun.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#2378 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote:I like this a lot.
So much so, that I have started sampling more of their material.
So far I can say I like this newer material more than their older stuff. Older stuff isn't bad but doesn't grab me. Too samey-same. I did find one older song I liked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cIa5ecCFXM
New stuff has some nice variety.
After hopping around the playlist for the new album, i have just decided to listen to it all the way through. So far no interest in the first song, but the next 3 have been fun.

Yeah - I like that track (from 2018) too - it's on their webpage with a proper video (and is a different/shorter version) - https://www.sunflowerdead.com/videos-1 (direct YouTube link here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K2PWINPoUM )

I prefer the longer version you linked - has subtle/haunting guitar work that reminds me of Blacktop Mojo.

It's one of the few I liked when I was trawling through their stuff - and (so far) I'm not that impressed with the other tracks on the new album.

Love the logo associated with the 2018 album ("COMA") - I hadn't seen that before either (looks a lot like me in the mid-80's to be honest :) ).

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#2379 Post by tay666 »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: It's one of the few I liked when I was trawling through their stuff - and (so far) I'm not that impressed with the other tracks on the new album.
I really like 'Walk Away' from the new album too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUzQdqv ... 3c&index=6

'Distance for Levity' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b5wC1h ... 3c&index=2
has a lot of things I like about it, but something holds it back from being a great song.
Like the tempo changes, love the vocal changes, and the guitar solo.

But yeah, 'Damn My Eyes' is definitely the best track on the album.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#2380 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

And once more into the breach dear friends . . . Electric Callboy continue bringing metal to the masses . . .

PAROOKAVILLE 2022 took place from Thu 21st July to Sun 24th July 2022 at Weeze Airport in NRW, Germany.

This was an EDM festival (geez, just typing that makes me want to throw up), and our boys are the first metal band ever to play there (Sun 24th).

Pretty friggin' impressive stage + stageshow + audience reaction :D