What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

New Maiden Album coming Sept 3rd 2021 - Senjutsu

This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Recorded Music. Not related to any particular Genre.

There's only two kinds of Music... Good Music and Bad Music.....So drop a coin in the slot, put on your Blue Suede Shoes and c'mon in....

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#1 Post by tay666 »

With Maiden announcing the new album release I think it's time for a new thread now.
(I'll move the posts from the other thread into this one)

Here is their post on FB

We are thrilled to announce the release of Iron Maiden’s 17th studio album ‘Senjutsu’ coming Sept 3rd.
1. Senjutsu (Smith/Harris) 8:20
2. Stratego (Gers/Harris) 4:59
3. The Writing On The Wall (Smith/Dickinson) 6:13
4. Lost In A Lost World (Harris) 9:31
5. Days Of Future Past (Smith/Dickinson) 4:03
6. The Time Machine (Gers/Harris) 7:09
7. Darkest Hour (Smith/Dickinson) 7:20
8. Death Of The Celts (Harris) 10:20
9. The Parchment (Harris) 12:39
10. Hell On Earth (Harris) 11:19

Senjutsu will be released on the following formats and available to pre-order from all good music retailers starting Wednesday July 21st:

Standard 2CD Digipak
Deluxe 2CD Book Format
Deluxe heavyweight 180G Triple Black Vinyl
Special Edition Triple Silver & Black Marble Vinyl (from selected retailers)
Special Edition Triple Red & Black Marble Vinyl (from selected retailers)
Super Deluxe Boxset featuring CD, Blu-Ray and Exclusive Memorabilia
Digital album (streaming and download)

Steve says “We chose to record at Guillaume Tell Studio in France again as the place has such a relaxed vibe. The setup there is perfect for our needs; the building used to be a cinema and has a really high ceiling so there’s a great acoustic sound. We recorded this album in the same way we did The Book Of Souls in that we’d write a song, rehearse it and then put it down together straight away while it was all fresh in our minds. There’s some very complex songs on this album which took a lot of hard work to get them exactly as we wanted them to sound, so the process was at times very challenging, but Kevin is great at capturing the essence of the band and I think it was worth the effort! I’m very proud of the result and can’t wait for fans to hear it.”
Bruce continues, “We’re all really excited about this album. We recorded it back in early 2019 during a break in the Legacy tour so we could maximize our touring yet still have a long set up period before release to prepare great album art and something special as a video. Of course the pandemic delayed things more - so much for the best laid plans – or should that be ‘strategies’!? The songs are very varied, and some of them are quite long. There’s also one or two songs which sound pretty different to our usual style, and I think Maiden fans will be surprised - in a good way, I hope!“
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

Re: New Iron Maiden album due Sept 4th 2015 - The Book Of So

#2 Post by tay666 »

Didn't want to start a new thread yet.
But Maiden just dropped a new song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhBnW7bZHEE
The Writing On The Wall

Really different, but yet very familiar.
The first 40 seconds, I was like, this sounds nothing like Maiden. Then the signature driving pace picked up. Still a really fresh sound to this one. And not nearly as progy as some of their more recent work, which is a good thing IMHO.

I love the video.
It's got a really Heavy Metal vibe (the magazine)
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#3 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

LOL - ya beat me.

I was listening to it when your post notification came through.

Love it. That progression at 30 seconds hit and all the hairs on my arms stood on end - awesome !!!!!!!!!!!

First impressions - love the song, but thought Bruce's vocals were a bit strained and unnecessarily high at times, and the start of the "solos" could have been stronger (ended well though).

The idea of the cartoon was brilliant - the visuals are GREAT - and the lyrics are perfect (well - for ME anyways given my attitude towards those in "positions of power"). Some lovely little "easter eggs" tucked in there too. Laughed out loud at the apple :lol:

There are some amazing designs in there that would make great kits / action-figures.
    • . . . and who doesn't like death/ghoul Eddies riding choppers ?!?!?!? :D
John (raydrz) would have adored this.

• . . . off for a 2nd listen/watch/read . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Heavy Metal Spike

#4 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

3rd time through and I'm still spotting stuff I didn't catch on earlier watches.

OK with Bruce's vocals now, but still think they could have dropped that first 20 seconds of the solo section (3:45-4:05) and gone straight into the rest.

DAMN that samurai Eddie is SOOOO effin' cool - and that scene where the bikes crash through the temple - I'm LOVING this !!!!!!!

Shame the "suffering" didn't survive - but the rest of it works for me - big time! :D

Heavy Metal Spike

#5 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

The link at the bottom of the BW&BK article goes HERE :arrow: https://www.itsnicethat.com/news/nicos- ... ion-150721

I forgot to mention THIS bit: "The cinematic six-minute film for new track The Writing On The Wall pulls references from sci-fi and heavy metal, and inspiration from Peter Jones, Roger Dean and Mike Ploog."

Mike Ploog - LMAO - could this have been more up my alley :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#6 Post by tay666 »

Thanks for the link. That was a good read.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#7 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Closing on 1 million views in less than 8 hours (not ALL of those are me).

Not too shabby - and WELL deserved! :jam: :jam: :jam: :jam: :jam:

Heavy Metal Spike

#8 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

I've probably racked up about 15 listens/views over the last 2 days, it isn't getting old, and I don't think it ever will.

Without a doubt, for me, the best single they have released since 1986 ("Wasted Years" & "Stranger In A Strange Land" both in the same year) (* seems I quite like Adrian's compositions *)

That Blues rock / Southern rock vibe just grabs me by the feels EVERY time. I LOVE this song . . . the music, the lyrics, the video - EVERYTHING! It'd make a PERFECT opener for the next tour too!

My ikkle Sis would have loved this too.

I'm still trying to figure out who did which of the 3 solos (I think it's Davey, then Janick then Adrian, but buggered if I can tell for sure :oops: ). The 3rd is my fave - SOOOOOOOOO good. If the rest of the album is this sort of quality we'll finally have something to give 2000's "Brave New World" a run for its money.

I'd pay a bloody fortune for a high-end statue of the new Eddie - I think this is the best design EVER - NO QUESTION!

People are spotting lots of "easter eggs" in the video that I missed, but there's SO many that no-one appears to have caught them all so far. Here's one fella that got HIS video out quite quickly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHZP4YeBDmM

(* EDIT *) We're now up to nearly 3 million views in 2 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jam: :jam: :jam: :jam: :jam: :jam:

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#9 Post by Scooke123 »

Thanks for the links! Great video and song - I loved it. I agree with both of you and think this is the best new song I've heard from them in quite a while - it's at the top of mu play list.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#10 Post by tay666 »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: First impressions - love the song, but thought Bruce's vocals were a bit strained and unnecessarily high at times,
After listening to this way too many time the past few days, I have to disagree with this.
I don't think it was strained, I think it was restrained.
I think he intentionally holds back now to save his voice more. As he is getting older he is naturally going to lose some of the range and control. So, better to hold back and save the higher notes for more rare moments.
I think this is the new normal for Bruce. I've heard similar vocals from their last tour.
I'm pretty sure he is trying to take even better care of himself so he doesn't end up like a lot of other older vocalists who just cannot sing anymore.

I also think that first solo was Dave.
No idea on the rest though.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#11 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote:After listening to this way too many time the past few days, I have to disagree with this.
I don't think it was strained, I think it was restrained.
I think he intentionally holds back now to save his voice more. As he is getting older he is naturally going to lose some of the range and control. So, better to hold back and save the higher notes for more rare moments.
I think this is the new normal for Bruce. I've heard similar vocals from their last tour.
I'm pretty sure he is trying to take even better care of himself so he doesn't end up like a lot of other older vocalists who just cannot sing anymore . . .
We'll have to agree to disagree.

As I said, I'm now OK with his vocals but I still think they are strained.

Yeah - he DOES sound like that live nowadays (based on the last 2 tours I saw them on) - between age and his cancer challenges, he's still doing great, but he's suffering. He's talented enough to drop things a bit so it doesn't sound like he's struggling so much.

If he was saving his voice, the PRIME reason for doing so would be for recorded material - even more so than live gigs right now.

On another note, it's been great watching the reaction vids on YouTube - the only other 2 times I've searched those things out were for the "Luke Skywalker" episode of the Mandalorian and (before that) various "Game Of Thrones" reaction vids. This week (courtesy of Maiden and a number of album mega-anniversaries) has been awesome!

Heavy Metal Spike

#12 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Scooke123 wrote:Thanks for the links! Great video and song - I loved it. I agree with both of you and think this is the best new song I've heard from them in quite a while - it's at the top of mu play list.

Playlist ?!? - you kids and your new-fangled gadgets . . . I ordered a wax-cylinder copy :nuts:

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#13 Post by Scooke123 »

:rolf: :rolf: :alcoholic:
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#14 Post by tay666 »

With Maiden announcing the new album release I think it's time for a new thread now.
(I'll move the posts from the other thread into this one)

Here is their post on FB

We are thrilled to announce the release of Iron Maiden’s 17th studio album ‘Senjutsu’ coming Sept 3rd.
1. Senjutsu (Smith/Harris) 8:20
2. Stratego (Gers/Harris) 4:59
3. The Writing On The Wall (Smith/Dickinson) 6:13
4. Lost In A Lost World (Harris) 9:31
5. Days Of Future Past (Smith/Dickinson) 4:03
6. The Time Machine (Gers/Harris) 7:09
7. Darkest Hour (Smith/Dickinson) 7:20
8. Death Of The Celts (Harris) 10:20
9. The Parchment (Harris) 12:39
10. Hell On Earth (Harris) 11:19

Senjutsu will be released on the following formats and available to pre-order from all good music retailers starting Wednesday July 21st:

Standard 2CD Digipak
Deluxe 2CD Book Format
Deluxe heavyweight 180G Triple Black Vinyl
Special Edition Triple Silver & Black Marble Vinyl (from selected retailers)
Special Edition Triple Red & Black Marble Vinyl (from selected retailers)
Super Deluxe Boxset featuring CD, Blu-Ray and Exclusive Memorabilia
Digital album (streaming and download)

Steve says “We chose to record at Guillaume Tell Studio in France again as the place has such a relaxed vibe. The setup there is perfect for our needs; the building used to be a cinema and has a really high ceiling so there’s a great acoustic sound. We recorded this album in the same way we did The Book Of Souls in that we’d write a song, rehearse it and then put it down together straight away while it was all fresh in our minds. There’s some very complex songs on this album which took a lot of hard work to get them exactly as we wanted them to sound, so the process was at times very challenging, but Kevin is great at capturing the essence of the band and I think it was worth the effort! I’m very proud of the result and can’t wait for fans to hear it.”
Bruce continues, “We’re all really excited about this album. We recorded it back in early 2019 during a break in the Legacy tour so we could maximize our touring yet still have a long set up period before release to prepare great album art and something special as a video. Of course the pandemic delayed things more - so much for the best laid plans – or should that be ‘strategies’!? The songs are very varied, and some of them are quite long. There’s also one or two songs which sound pretty different to our usual style, and I think Maiden fans will be surprised - in a good way, I hope!“
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

Re: New Maiden Album coming Sept 3rd 2021 - Senjutsu

#15 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

WTH . . . no wax-cylinder !?!?!?!?!?!?!?! . . .

Heavy Metal Spike

#16 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Heavy Metal Spike

#17 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

See this . . . THIS is how music & fandom were meant to join.

Single release, notification of album dates, announcement of live dates . . . anticipation, appreciation, gratitude, excitement !!!!!!!!

[list][list][list] https://www.ironmaiden.com/news/article/im17 [/list][/list][/list]

Takes me back to the late 70's and ALL of the 80's . . . I'm in HEAVEN !!!!!! :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:
    • (* that triple red/black marble vinyl WILL be mine - muhaaahaaaahaaaaaaaa! . . . unless they announce a picture disc *)

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#18 Post by tay666 »

FWIW - finally heard the Spotify version of the single, and let me tell you, that mix is much better than the YouTube mix.
The vocals aren't buried in the mix like it is on YouTube.
The YouTube compression made a muddy mess of the song, it sounds so much better as just a clean audio track.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#19 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote:FWIW - finally heard the Spotify version of the single, and let me tell you, that mix is much better than the YouTube mix.
The vocals aren't buried in the mix like it is on YouTube.
The YouTube compression made a muddy mess of the song, it sounds so much better as just a clean audio track.
"Spotify" - not for me. Looking forward to other sources down-the-line though.

Besides - I'm quite happy if the vocals are buried a bit on this one :P

Approaching 4.5 million views :hot: :hot: :hot:

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#20 Post by tay666 »

I don't have it either. But a saw a reaction video from someone who was listening to the Spotify audio because he had heard the mix was better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Us_zD0mRA

So, now I am trying to find a good clean audio that I can download and listen to. Amazon only has an MP3 version.
I found this site https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/96843
But I am not sure how legit it is, so I am checking around before I buy from there. But you can listen to it on there.
Trevor Ylisaari