What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Back to vinyl.

This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Recorded Music. Not related to any particular Genre.

There's only two kinds of Music... Good Music and Bad Music.....So drop a coin in the slot, put on your Blue Suede Shoes and c'mon in....

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

ausf
Seam Filler

Re: Back to vinyl.

#41 Post by ausf »

You could tell by his stage presence he was a shy guy, he'd just look out over everyone's heads with a fixed grin. SI seems like a hot bed for NY based Musicians, I used to work with a buddy who was a restoration carpenter down on the old homes near the Ferry. Vernon Reid from Living Color used to pass us all the time, we'd yell down to him from the scaffolding. White Lion was all about the aged Danish singer. Their management was Lamour, so that kept them very limited in scope, they rarely played anywhere else. I was approached by a rep to audition for them when their bass player was leaving to tour with Iommi. The offer was based purely on appearance, no one around there ever heard me play, I had moved on to the upright at that point. I sold off all my stage gear a few years before and wasn't about to start dropping serious coin to be a hired hand for a Thursday night/Friday or Saturday maybe when open-one club band. Especially one with a singer approaching 40. Not that I would have got the slot anyway, that bass player was pretty damn good (Can't remember his name just that he played a Mockingbird, which you didn't see a lot), but I like to tell myself I would of. ;)

Ever make it to CBGBs? I saw a lot of friends bands there, besides Bad Brains I can't think of any headliners.
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#42 Post by RockinResin »

His name was James LoMenzo. Those first three White Lion albums were really good in my opinion (Fight To Survive, Pride, Big Game). If it weren’t for MTV at the time I’m not sure what would have happened to them. Back in the late 80s and early 90s their videos were all over MTV. They had great success with the power ballad “When The Children Cry”. Vito was such an underrated guitarist. He had such a unique sound and was highly inspired by Edward Van Halen.

Never did CBGBs. I would sometimes pass by and imagine what it must have been like to see bands like the Ramones and Blondie play there. It’s now an art gallery I believe.

I am trying to get a tour of “Electric Ladyland Studio”. I ran into someone who works there and said that he could give me a look around but that it’s tough because of the artists that are always there. I’m going to keep working on it.

Sal
Last edited by RockinResin on March 12th, 2019, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ausf
Seam Filler

#43 Post by ausf »

My exposure to White Lion was before the first album. They kept talking about getting signed during shows, but I don't think they were even in the studio yet. I didn't know they had three albums, or were even on MTV, I thought they peaked with being in the Tom Hanks movie, The Money Pit.

I didn't appreciate Blondie and the Ramones until years after their heydays.

That studio tour would be awesome. One thing I've learned over the years, it never hurts to ask. You think of these iconic places and get intimidated, but it's just people and they either appreciate what you want to do or can't be bothered, but you'll never know. I got into the Montreal Canadiens Forum locker room (it's a hockey Mecca, even recreated as an exhibit in the NHL Hall of Fame)) once just because I opened a door on a Sunday morning and asked.
Plausible deniability.

ausf
Seam Filler

#44 Post by ausf »

I just googled James LoMenzo, he's the replacement, not the guy who was leaving. The time I'm referring to was before 84 when they were just a very talented band stuck in a bar in Brooklyn.

Good thing I didn't buy any gear to tryout, I wouldn't have beaten out that guy, I was just a 19 year old punk with long hair. :)
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#45 Post by RockinResin »

Wow! I didn’t bother looking it up and just assumed LoMenzo was the original. I guess I made an *ss of myself. LOL. They actually had 6 studio albums and I believe that Mike Tramp still tours solo. He always appeared to be a “cocky” guy but after watching some interviews you see that he is actually pretty cool. Vito is a very dedicated family guy who always looked after his aging mom and dad. He actually gave up a chance for a reunion to take care his ill father. I’m still waiting for the “reunion”.

I will continue working on the Ladyland tour. I believe in persistence. I should have asked Gene Simmons when I met him at the NYSE a few years back. Hate to bother these guys though. I also talked a bit with “Meatloaf”. A real nice guy who looked exhausted but took the time out to talk to me. I have a lot of respect for those types of guys.

Sal

ausf
Seam Filler

#46 Post by ausf »

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, I had no idea who was who in the lineup and I've seen them more times than I care to admit. I just remember the bass player having dark hair and the replacement was a short, skinny blonde dude.

I laugh whenever I hear 'Mike Tramp'. It was a joke in the club, because his real name is Ollie, the Tramp thing must have had more legs when the album came out. I must have stopped going to the club or management maybe released them in support of the album because I really can't think of ever seeing or hearing the album.

I mostly remember them being like background noise on Thursday nights, no cover charge type deal, like watching them rehearse.
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#47 Post by RockinResin »

Go on UTube and check out these White Lion videos:

1)Broken Heart
2)Wait
3)Little Fighter
4)When The Children Cry
5)Radar Love (remake)

You will be pleasantly surprised as to what they became.

Zebra will be at BB King nightclub in NYC in March of ‘18. I may go to that one.

Sal

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#48 Post by RockinResin »

Not sure where you are from but if you are ever in Woodbridge, NJ you need to stop at “Vintage Vinyl” off of Route 1. I try to go whenever I get a chance. They are infamous for their very, very, very large selection of vinyl (old and new) and their very, very large cd and misc. music items like books and shirts etc... The place is HUGE and even has a stage at the rear where bands can play. Many musicians visit to sign autographs and promote their latest and greatest. I’m talking the likes of Ozzy, Megadeth and others. It’s a music lovers paradise. I NEVER leave empty handed. Super cool staff and awesome relaxing atmosphere. When I walk in I feel like I just stepped into another world. All the stresses of life just disappear. It’s “heavenly”.

I believe they have a website.

Rock Off!
Sal
Last edited by RockinResin on March 12th, 2019, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ausf
Seam Filler

#49 Post by ausf »

I'm upstate a bit now, near West Point, but not that far from there. One of my best friends lives in Metuchen, he's probably familiar with it. I haven't spoken with him recently (since the move to vinyl), I'm sure he still has his whole collection. He's proud of being buried in the liner notes of hundreds of albums. He been to more shows than anyone I've met and back in the day used to network with small obscure metal and hardcore bands from the UK, letting them stay at his place or showing them around the city. We used to play on a dart team named 'City Babies Revenge' after the English band GBH.

I used to go to Woodbridge when they opened the second Pearl Paint there. Plus the mall, if that place has been around for while, I may have been there.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely check it out.
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#50 Post by RockinResin »

No problem. Just bring a fat wallet and an hour or two. LOL

Sal

Racer X
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#51 Post by Racer X »

I'm already looking forward to Record Store Day.
I'm not sloppy - I'm an Impressionist!
Therefore anything that looks like a flaw is an intentional and integral part of the artwork as a whole.
(Disclaimer: This sig is not to be taken entirely seriously)

ausf
Seam Filler

#52 Post by ausf »

Racer X wrote:I'm already looking forward to Record Store Day.
Thanks for that heads up. Theres a participating store not too far from me in Nyack, with a great Thai restaurant and coffee shop. I'll block out an afternoon to browse.

Update on vinyl:

So far first 5 Zep albums, Animals, The Wall and Black Sabbath on the shelf. Unleashed in the East on the way.

The Polks are amazing, set up equidistant from my drafting table, perfect stereo.

Inspired me to pull out a canvas and do some painting, all to vinyl:

Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#53 Post by RockinResin »

WOW! That looks great!

I can only imagine what you could paint to “Metallica”. LOL

ROCK and PAINT ON!!
Sal

Racer X
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#54 Post by Racer X »

It's a small world after all. We also have a verrrrry good Thai restaurant in the vicinity of my favorite record store.
Hmmm... First get the black (or maybe colorful, who knows) gold, then have a Thai menu. That way the wife won't mind if I spend too much...
SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN TO ME!
Last edited by Racer X on January 11th, 2018, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Therefore anything that looks like a flaw is an intentional and integral part of the artwork as a whole.

Scott M
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#55 Post by Scott M »

Racer X
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#56 Post by Racer X »

Can't hit me with that bit, guv.
Never got rid of my vinyl.
So the trend actually came back to me.

But seriously: "Payment is needed for the use of this image"?
Last edited by Racer X on January 13th, 2018, 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scott M
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#57 Post by Scott M »

Racer X wrote:Can't hit me with that bit, guv.
Never got rid of my vinyl.
So the trend actually came back to me.

But seriously: "Payment is needed for the use of this image"?
Didn't even notice that! Hope I don't get a bill.

ManthingVT
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#58 Post by ManthingVT »

Sal,

I'm late as usual but just caught the conversation about White Lion. Not a big fan of all their work, but I have always loved Vito Bratta's guitar work!

Just fyi- another Staten Island guy here! I went to high school with Vito. Yes, he was a very shy guy. I didn't really know him, but we knew "of" each other being fellow metal heads and specifically Van Halen fans. I wore my painted VH jacket all the time so we were definitely aware of each other. We did the head nod and 'Sup" (What's up?) when we passed in the hall of outside with our other metal friends. Lol! I hung out with a guy named Rob Steel who became the drummer for Law & Order who had a couple of albums and some MTV time. It's ironic when I think how these guys were in the same high school and never played together. Vito also dated my good friend's sister in the late 70's when they were just teens.

Mark Van Tine

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#59 Post by RockinResin »

Hi Mark,

That’s so funny how we are both Staten Island guys and knew Vito in a very casual way, you probably more so. I went to a Catholic High School but was certainly a “Rocker”. Aaaah the good old days, Metal Music, Muscle Cars, Keg Parties, oh and yeah the girls.

Thanks for the input.

Rock On Brother!
Sal
Last edited by RockinResin on March 12th, 2019, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManthingVT
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#60 Post by ManthingVT »

Sal,which Catholic School? St. Joe's, Farrell, Moore? lol! I went to Tottenville HS.