What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Back to vinyl.

This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Recorded Music. Not related to any particular Genre.

There's only two kinds of Music... Good Music and Bad Music.....So drop a coin in the slot, put on your Blue Suede Shoes and c'mon in....

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

Re: Back to vinyl.

#21 Post by tay666 »

RockinResin wrote:Hey Trevor,

It’s not that I don’t like Dio with Sabbath but I don’t find myself listening to that era too often. I did in fact see Heaven And Hell at Radio City Music Hall. It was the show that they recorded for the DVD. It was spectacular! Dio had some “pipes”. I just tend to gravitate towards the Dio solo years when I want to hear Dio. Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell were certainly classics though.

I hear ya on Rush. In my opinion there really is no bad Rush album. Again, I seem to always gravitate to pre ‘82. I do like Power Windows along with Presto and Test For Echo. I’m big on 60’s and 70’s classic rock. In the 80’s and 90’s I find myself listening to more harder rock and metal like Ozzy, Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, Van Halen etc... not to mention that I am a huge fan of Alternative and Indie Rock and the Progressive Dream Theater.

Rock On,
Sal
I know exactly where you are coming from. I think for me, the love of Sabbath with Dio stems from the fact that was when I discovered Sabbath. During that era. Mob Rules was the first song I heard from them, then I went and grabbed the album. Then I started backtracking to learn the rest.

Kind of the opposite of what happened with Priest for me. I 'discovered' them with Point of Entry but traded that cassette to a friend for his 8-track of Stained Class as my bedroom stereo had 8-track and I only had a portable cassette player. So I gravitated to the older Priest stuff more than the British Steel and Point of Entry. That is until Screaming For Vengeance hit the shelves. :D
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

ausf
Seam Filler

#22 Post by ausf »

tay666 wrote: I 'discovered' them with Point of Entry but traded that cassette to a friend for his 8-track of Stained Class as my bedroom stereo had 8-track and I only had a portable cassette player. So I gravitated to the older Priest stuff more than the British Steel and Point of Entry. That is until Screaming For Vengeance hit the shelves. :D
I was introduced to Priest when I went to see Maiden opening for them at the Palladium. Must have been early 80s. I saw them (Maiden) there again for Dickinson's first tour with them. Steve Harris came out and hung around for a while in the afternoon, then Bruce opened the side door looking for him and was kind of an ass.

A few years ago, my son said he liked a band called Iron Maiden and said I've probably never heard of them...

After I stopped laughing I told him some stories and painted this for him:

Plausible deniability.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#23 Post by tay666 »

:like
Trevor Ylisaari

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#24 Post by RockinResin »

Lovin’ that jacket artwork! I discovered Maiden when I bought “Piece Of Mind” only because I thought that the cover was cool. I had no idea how the band sounded. I was hooked the minute I heard “Where Eagles Dare”. I later bought the vinyl. To this day I still cherish those 80’s Maiden albums. I wore out all my cassettes.

Up The Irons!!
Sal

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#25 Post by tay666 »

I discovered them with Number of the Beast. Only because my best friend had the tape. I loved it.
So when Piece of Mind came out, I ran right out and bought the album. (which I still have, as well as all the inserts that came with it)
Then I saw them on that tour. My very first concert. I was hooked for life.

Sadly, the only vinyl I have left are those Maiden ones.
(and a couple of the old Power Records, mainly Conan ones)

I sold, or traded everything else I had.
Turns out I had some collectors items in my collection. Got some serious coin for Ozzy - Speak of the Devil. Kiss - Creatures of the Night (with Ace on the cover), and the Star Wars soundtrack.
Trevor Ylisaari

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#26 Post by RockinResin »

What I miss most about vinyl is the “artwork”. Those covers were true works of art not to mention the gatefolds. As a kid I remember the enjoyment I had listening to KISS Alive I and II and being so absorbed in the colorful gatefolds on both those albums. Oh, and not to mention the extras you would get like the Kiss Army stuff.

I’m probably one of a rare breed that still collects CDs. Although downsized, I like to be able to hold something and have a hard copy. I also still like the artwork even though it’s smaller. Now that vinyl is back in full swing I may have to make a move someday and return to full sized artwork. Pretty exciting thought!!

Rock On!
Sal

ausf
Seam Filler

#27 Post by ausf »

Funny you mention that, I just bought the kid Zep III and completely forgot about the wheel you turn that changes the windows.

A few years back at a scout meeting, one of the older boys was giving a speech on vinyl. When it was time for questions, I asked what are those seeds that always seem stuck in the fold. A handful of parents laughed.
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#28 Post by RockinResin »

Zep III seems to be an underrated album. I for one have grown to where it is one of my favorites. “Immigrant Song” says it all. It has some of my “go to” songs like Celebration Day, Out On The Tiles, Friends and Gallows Pole.

Zeppelin in concert were in top form from 69-mid 72. Plant’s voice took a dive in late 72. Story was that he had a throat operation and it cost him his high range. Songs like “Immigrant Song” and “Over The Hills And Far Away” would never be the same live after the California shows in 72.

Sal

ausf
Seam Filler

#29 Post by ausf »

He said his friends said get any Zep but III. I couldn't believe it, I always thought it one of their best, but I may be biased since back in the day I probably wore a hole in the album picking out the entire bass line to Since I've Been Loving You.

I never saw Zep live. Song Remains The Same would have kept me from buying any ticket to them. My brother had 6th row Orch for the tour that was cancelled when Plant's son died. I think he still has the ticket.

I remember my high school walked out the day Bonham died. I was in English, the door flew open and this girl in tears yelled, Bonham's dead, let's go.
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#30 Post by RockinResin »

It seems like Zep III was a different direction for Zep. I think that the slower acoustic songs may have surprised people. I can understand “newbies” to the band would favor I,II, and IV. It seems to be just us old timers that can appreciate III. I bet someday he and his friends may come around. In my opinion, Zep III just proved that Zep could do anything. The acoustics sets at Earl’s Court 1975 were some of the best recorded performances of that material.

I haven’t run into many friends who have seen Zep from 69-72. Most were at the 77 tour at MSG (6 shows). One friend was in the military and saw them in Phoenix in 1970. 1970 and 1971 are my favorite live years of Zeppelin (Royal Albert Hall in 70, Japan tour 71 and LA shows from 72). Actually not a big fan of the 73 MSG Song Remains The Same. I just loved Plant’s voice when he could carry the high notes. Kind of like Van Halen. Dave was magical in the 70s and early 80s with his “primal screams” but now in my opinion his voice is shot. Eddie carries the band now. Dave does the talking entertainment. LOL.

Yeah, Bonham’s passing was so sad. He rolled over onto his back and choked on his own vomit. Same way Bon Scott went but I believe Bon was sitting in his car with his head back. And let’s not forget one of my favorite drummers, Mr. Keith Moon. All died way too early.

Sal

ausf
Seam Filler

#31 Post by ausf »

I think I can sway him to the charms of III. Fed Ex just dropped off my new Onkyo amp about an hour ago (waiting on UPS with my new Polk Speakers, I guess I'm all in at this point). Just through the headphones, I melted to the floor, so I'm sitting here with 14 gauge speaker wire staring at the door...

I dying to crack III, but he's at a Track meet at West Point until later tonight. Serves me right, I ordered III earlier this week and right after I did he got the results of his PSAT (1450) so I said I'd buy him III. I should have said I'd buy him Physical Graffiti. ;)

I always thought of Plant as a strictly studio singe, I'm glad to hear he was good live at one point. I think it's hard for any singer to beat Halford on Unleashed in the East, but SRTS was particularly disappointing.
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#32 Post by RockinResin »

NNNNICE! A 1450 is excellent. I would buy him the whole Zeppelin catalogue (except Coda) for that. You should be very proud of him.

Oh yes, Halford can belt it out. What a screamer! Let’s not forget about Freddie Mercury and Steve Perry. Plant was by far a studio singer as you pointed out. Having Page, Bonzo and Jonsey in a live setting is what propelled the band I believe.

Good luck with all your equipment. Polk speakers is what I like to hear. I use to read Crutchfield magazine for all the high tech gear.

Rock On!
Sal

ausf
Seam Filler

#33 Post by ausf »

I am immensely proud but it comes with a caveat: He only took a glance at a practice test beforehand and after the test he said he thought he got a 1400. Which means he was pretty cocky about it and he'd not take the SAT as seriously as he should. So getting a 1450 will just reinforce to him that he doesn't have to put any time into it.

It was either Polk or JBL, but Polk was a good deal for now. The Onkyo choice was based on it is supposed to be a good blend of analog and digital options and ideal for the warmth of vinyl. This is mid range stuff, a stepping stone but will keep us happy for a while.

Fortunately, I made the mistake of web surfing late Monday night with a drink in hand. If I was looking in the morning with a cup of coffee I would have had plenty of opportunity to talk myself out of it instead of listening to the voices saying, 'why not?' :)
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#34 Post by RockinResin »

Well, a 1450 on the SAT would be terrific. If he decides to prep a bit more he could probably break 1500. Try making a deal with him or a challenge.

Polk or JBL are good choices. Polk to me was always more of a high tech component like Marantz, Denon or old school Nachamichi. I still have a Nachamichi receiver from ages ago and a Marantz single disc CD player. There is something about the feel on the high tech components. There is a solidness and a smoothness all at the same time.

Mid range works for me. I like a nice balance of bass and treble. Enjoy the technology!

Sal
Last edited by RockinResin on March 12th, 2019, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#35 Post by tay666 »

RockinResin wrote: Oh yes, Halford can belt it out. What a screamer!
Speaking of singing gods. Here are 3 of them on one stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me549HoI6gk

Sadly, I don't see many singers capable of replacing the legends now that they are passing on, or their voices are becoming limited by age.
Trevor Ylisaari

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#36 Post by RockinResin »

That is an awesome video! I almost forgot about Jeff Tate. Queensryche was such a great band. I so much enjoyed “Operation Mindcrime.” It’s amazing that they all still have great voices. I guess they didn’t smoke much or abuse alcohol. That alcohol destroys the cords, as you can see with Roth.

Sal

ausf
Seam Filler

#37 Post by ausf »

RockinResin wrote:That is an awesome video! I almost forgot about Jeff Tate. Queensryche was such a great band. I so much enjoyed “Operation Mindcrime.” It’s amazing that they all still have great voices. I guess they didn’t smoke much or abuse alcohol. That alcohol destroys the cords, as you can see with Roth.

Sal
Almost forgot? I completely forgot about them. They were amazing. I was lucky to catch them at a club in Brooklyn when they were still on the rise.
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#38 Post by RockinResin »

By any chance was that club in Brooklyn called L’Amours? It was famous for hard rock and heavy metal bands. One of my favorite bands called ZEBRA used to play there quite a bit. They were very famous for their Zep covers.

Sal

ausf
Seam Filler

#39 Post by ausf »

RockinResin wrote:By any chance was that club in Brooklyn called L’Amours? It was famous for hard rock and heavy metal bands. One of my favorite bands called ZEBRA used to play there quite a bit. They were very famous for their Zep covers.

Sal
Yep. I was a regular at that place. Some great shows there: Anthrax, Queensryche, WASP, Manowar, Accept, Loudness. I remember Maiden playing as Charlotte the Harlot, but I can't recall if it was there. Anthrax played under another name too, but I can't remember what it was, I just remember Scott Ian swinging off the light rack for 'I'm the Man'. Suicidal Tendencies was a great show there too. Mosh pit was so dense I think I went around twice without touching the floor. I'm sure I must have been at a Zebra show at one point. White Lion was their house band and I was dating a girl that lived nearby so most Thursday nights I ended up there for a drink or two.
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#40 Post by RockinResin »

Believe it or not I was never there. Boy, do I regret that. Funny you should mention White Lion. Vito Bratta, the lead guitarist, lived down the street from an old girlfriend of mine on Staten Island. We would bump into him occasionally at a local pizza joint in the neighborhood. Real nice guy but very very shy. He reminded me of Joey Ramone a little. It always seemed as though they hid behind their hair and sunglasses.

Oh man, The Police, Ramones, The Clash, Sex Pistols and many, many other punk bands were so great.

Sal
Last edited by RockinResin on March 12th, 2019, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.