What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Next concert on the calandar

This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Recorded Music. Not related to any particular Genre.

There's only two kinds of Music... Good Music and Bad Music.....So drop a coin in the slot, put on your Blue Suede Shoes and c'mon in....

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Next concert on the calandar

#701 Post by Scooke123 »

Next show was Steel Panther Dec. 11,2019 at the Pageant in St. Louis. This show has become another tradition for my sons and I. This is the 5th time we have seen them. Some people like them, some hate them - to each his own. You have to be open-minded and not easily offended if you attend one of their shows. Non-PC language, foul language and possoble nudity happens so if you aren't into that you should pass.
One thing that sucked at this show was the crowd. This is a 2 level venue that holds around 2500 people (probably 6-700 on top). They were doing some work upstairs so the balcony was shut down for this show and it was a sold out show - general admission. That meant everyone was on the lower level. Made going to bathroom or the bar a little difficult.
Stitched Up Heart opened the show - never saw them before. They played about 40 minutes and were pretty good, nothing spectacular to me but still enjoyed their set.
Steel Panther came on and was their typical show if you have seen them before. Lexie was back (the bass player). They played about an hour and a half maybe a little longer. Enjoyed them as usual - a lot of laughs! Anyway one thing about this group they actually are musically very good - lot of actual talent especially if you are into the 80's Hair Metal bands.
Will definately see them again - just a good show to enjoy music and have some laughs too. I recommend at least seeing them one time.
Steve Cooke

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#702 Post by Scooke123 »

OK up next is El Monstero Dec. 20, 209 at the Pageant. Who the hell are they?? They are a St. Louis based Pink Floyd cover group that have been doing this for over 20 years. Members consist of local musicians from around the area. Some came from bands such as Stir, The Urge and Kingofthehill, all local bands with minor success in the 80's and 90's.
This show has become a St. Louis institution and and they are up to 7 shows around the holidays. They also do a summer show at our amphitheatre selling out a 20,000 seat venue each show. The winter shows also sellout. Over the years the light show, lasers, and pyro have increased along with lots of guests, trapeze (Circe de Solei) style going on during songs.
This has become our big tradition family and friend wise with 11 of us this year (I've been going around 15 years). Always makes for a fun time.
Setlist is long and you are in for a long entertaining evening. Show started at 8 and they payed till 930 then took about a 30 min break starting again at 10. They ended show at 11:45. Setlist this year touched on every Pink Floyd album for the first time ever. They always end the show with "Comfortably Numb" with the most lights, pyro and confetti I've ever seen the use.
I know its not a show anyone will see unless you travel to St. Louis but if you look for their videos online you might enjoy them.
Steve Cooke

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#703 Post by Scooke123 »

I'll post my last show maybe later tonight.... tired of typing :lol:

Hey Ian!!! You only have about 4 months till "In This Moment" !!!!!
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#704 Post by tay666 »

Scooke123 wrote:Try to see Volbeat if possible. When I saw them for the first time last summer I really enjoyed them live. I've been a fan of their music for a long time.
Yeah, I've been a fan for a lot of years now.
They only came close one time, on a bill with FFDP.
I really wanted to go to that show, but had prior commitments. That was like 6 years ago.

I took a look. Seems they are hitting all around you, but no where close. :(
Independence
Minneapolis
Milwaukee
Grand Rapids
Nashville.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#705 Post by Scooke123 »

Independence is the closest - about a 3 hour drive. Just hop on Hwy 70 by my house and get off 70 on the other side of the state. Looks like closest to you is Columbus.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#706 Post by tay666 »

Nope.
Closest is Youngstown. Which is the show I am going to.
Bought my ticket last night when Volbeat posted the presale code on FB.
I opted for a seat.
Sure, I would love to be down in the pit for Volbeat, but since I have very little interest in the other 2 bands, I don't feel like standing all night.
2nd section from the stage, first row, so I will be right off the floor. Should be a good time.
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#707 Post by Scooke123 »

Great to hear!! I'm glad you will will finally see them. Look on the bright side - the 2 openers might not be so bad! Seems like you will still be fairly close to the stage.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#708 Post by tay666 »

Oh, I will go into seeing the openers with an open mind.
I am hoping to be impressed, but if not, then I can just kick back in my seat and chill :)

May is going to be a great month. Volbeat in the beginning, WF at the end.
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#709 Post by Scooke123 »

:like
Steve Cooke

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#710 Post by Scooke123 »

OK, down for my final review. This is going to be a little lengthy mainly because these bands, some of the members and the area they came form all hit close to home for me. I remember going to the local clubs around St. Louis especially into IL (they had a 18 tear old drinking age back in early 70's) where you could see bands like REO Speedwagon. Styx, Head East and other local Midwest bands play in their early years.

This show was 2 tribute bands but some of the members came from above mentioned bands. FreeBird USA and Perfect Strangers were the 2 bands playing. This was also a kind of Going Away Party for the music director at the Family Arena who was retiring after being with the venue since it opened. This place is real close to my house -only about 5 miles away. It houses our area indoor soccer team "The Ambush" and has been home to an indoor football and hockey team at one point. Set up for most concerts it probably holds around 3500 people.

Perfect Strangers opened the show. They are a Deep Purple tribute band. Vocals and frontman is Terry Luttrell. He was the original singer for REO Speed wagon from 1968 - 1972. He left the band and formed Starcastle a prog rock band sounding similar to YES at the time. On guitar is Duke Jackson of Strikeforce. They hit on all of DP's hits doing 2 songs when fronted by David Coverdale. They played a little over an hour. They had the DP sound down pretty good. Luttrell's vocals were still strong.

During the break they raffled off 2 guitars given way by the music director. Only catch was you had to be between 8 and 18 to enter. The show was MC'd by Katie Kruze and Smash - 2 former long time DJ's from our rock station KSHE (the longest running rock station in the country).

Freebird USA came on next. They of course are a Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band duplicating them with the 3 guitar, bass, keyboards, drummer and 2 backup vocals. This band was formed in 2017 by Michael Mesey who played a while for Head east and was Chuck Berry's longtime drummer. He later formed another group American Greed. His signature drumset is that it incorporates the front frame and an extended set of chopper forks.

They played for about an hour and a half touching on the majority of Skynyrd's hits. They did a good job duplicating the sound of the band. Other band members are long time local St. Louis musicians form various bands. Ended with FreeBird of course.

As soon as they finished band stayed onstage and Katie announced Terry Luttrell again and also Steve Scorfina - the guitar player for REO from 69 - 70 till he was replaced by Gary Richrath. He went on to co-found Pavlov's Dog with David Surkamp in St. Louis.

They played 157 Riverside Ave by REO (both origianlly recorded it with REO). After that they played Johnnie B. Goode by Chuck Berry. As soon as it was done Katie announced Roger Boyd (original keyboard for Head East and still in band today). They played Never Been Any Reason by Head East.

Pretty cool show for a midwestern rocker like me that grew up listening and seeing a lot of these guys from the early 70's on. Brought back a lot of memories!!!! On top of that I got the 2 tickets for free (only had to pay $10 for parking). This was a great ending of a good year of concerts for me. I saw 15 shows altogether.

BRING ON 2020!!!!!!
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#711 Post by tay666 »

Wow!
That sounds like a hell of a night.
Getting something like that, right down the road from your house must have been really great for you.
And sounds like it was quite the long show too. I am sure you just ate it up.
:)
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#712 Post by Scooke123 »

It was to me at least and the feeling of the crowd (which was near capacity) was that they all were getting it too.
A little over 3 hours of music and entertainment all for $10 - doesn't get much better!
Steve Cooke

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#713 Post by Scooke123 »

First of 2020: looks like I'm going to Pointfest here May 9 and 10 - kids are getting me a ticket.
May 9 is Shinedown, Cypress Hill, Theory of a Deadman,Sick Puppies, Badflower and Dinosaur Pile-up.
May 10 is Five Finger Death Punch, Papa Roach, Prevail and Ice Nine Kills.

Lawn tickets for the 2 days at $30 for both days.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#714 Post by tay666 »

Holy crap man!
That is going to be great.
Shinedown is great live, TOAD is good though not really interactive (at least when I saw them)
I've wanted to see Sick Puppies for years, it's just never happened.

My daughter is going to see that 2nd lineup in Cincinnati and I am jealous of both of you.
Is this going to be your first Papa Roach show?
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#715 Post by Scooke123 »

I saw papa Roach once before - been a few years ago on a multi bill show. Never see % Finger yet.
I've seen Shinedown quite a few times. Saw TOAD a couple times - you are right though. They are good just weren't interactive then - been about 4 years since I've seen them. Haven't seen any off the other bands yet. Even though it is a 2 day show they are both separate. Pointfest is a big show 105.7 The Point radio station puts on here and they are sponsoring the 5 Finger/Papa Roach show the next day.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#716 Post by tay666 »

I've seen FFDP once, and it was a good show. Even though Ivan was having one of his nights that night. (was performing on a broken ankle after slamming it in a car door the day before)
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#717 Post by Scooke123 »

The 2 shows on May 9 and 10 fell through for me. I had something else going on that weekend so I had to pass on both shows. Oh well............. :( :(
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#718 Post by tay666 »

Bummer.

Hate when that happens.

I passed on a chance for cheap tickets for Alice Cooper / Tesla / Lita Ford.
It's on 6/14. Too soon after WF.
I know I am not going to feel like traveling less than 2 weeks after making that trip.
Venue is 1.5-2 hours away (depending on traffic) and is a PITA to get into and out of.
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#719 Post by Scooke123 »

Yea- they just announce Alice Cooper yesterday for St. Louis. He is headlining the KSHE Pig Roast (an annual show here - not a bbq thing. The mascot of the station is a pig). 8 bands - 4 on side stage and 4 on main.

Side stage is Great White (Jack Russel's version), Tom Kiefer, Ratt and Skid Row.
Main stage is Dokken, Lita Ford, Tesla and Alice.

Show is June 7 so close to return from Wonderfest but my son's birthday is the 9th so he wants this show as his present. At least it is on a weekend - be a long show starting at 4.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#720 Post by tay666 »

Honestly, I would have no interest in the 2nd stage.
Sure, if I were there, I would check it out, but while I liked those bands back in the day, their music just doesn't do a whole lot for me now.

Main stage would be cool though.
Trevor Ylisaari